• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2023

BarkerFan420

Frank Row (1)
Hey Snort,

Definition of flying wedge is ambiguous. However, purely from experience, this would not constitute a flying wedge. The flying wedge is something I have specifically discussed with a couple of Shute Shield referees last year. They say that one player can bind before contact and that's fine. Additionally, the rule exists because it creates too much force (three players bound at full speed), and prevents a tackler from having a safe place to put head in tackle. Therefore, the action would need to be forceful for a "flying wedge" to be called. This is also a tactic I have personally used (and not been pinged for). In this scenario, we see that the players bind when stationery. Hence it is not forceful and from that conversation alone, I do not believe it would constitute a flying wedge.

Additionally, please see below an article I have just found:

With that said, I don't think this video constitutes a flying wedge, and at no point should Barker have been penalised... however... just to make this even more complicated then it already is... Cranbrook could have potentially been pinged for stepping away from the line-out before it was finished.

Because that's what we need here... More confusion.
W opinion

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
Hey Snort,

Definition of flying wedge is ambiguous. However, purely from experience, this would not constitute a flying wedge. The flying wedge is something I have specifically discussed with a couple of Shute Shield referees last year. They say that one player can bind before contact and that's fine, need more then 1 player bound to constitute a flying wedge. Additionally, the rule exists because the wedge creates too much force (three players or more players bound at full speed), and prevents a tackler from having a safe place to put head in tackle. Therefore, the action would need to be forceful for a "flying wedge" to be called. The flying wedge shape is something teams I have played in have used, so something we discussed in detail with Shute shield referees. In this scenario, we see that the players bind when stationery. Hence it is not forceful and from that conversation alone, I do not believe it would constitute a flying wedge.

Additionally, please see below an article I have just found:

With that said, I don't think this video constitutes a flying wedge, and at no point should Barker have been penalised... however... just to make this even more complicated then it already is... Cranbrook could have potentially been pinged for stepping away from the line-out before it was finished.

Because that's what we need here... More confusion.
That's a valid view. It's a highly unclear situation, because you so rarely see a team not attempt to defend at all, and the Laws don't really contemplate the idea that players won't defend. This is why I say the video could be used in a refereeing exam - there's nothing but confusion here!

RedOrDead

Charlie Fox (21)
rugby forum champion

It's relevant.

It's a rebuttal to the Barker "S word" debate.

The point being Cranbrook do it for cricket. Trinity for athletics and basketball (do they do it for vollyeball? or are Trinity genuinely just a volleyball powerhouse). Waverley for rugby. Knox for tennis and swimming. It's just business as usual.

I don't think Aloys do it for anything but could be wrong.

james richards

Stan Wickham (3)
It's relevant.

It's a rebuttal to the Barker "S word" debate.

The point being Cranbrook do it for cricket. Trinity for athletics and basketball (do they do it for vollyeball? or are Trinity genuinely just a volleyball powerhouse). Waverley for rugby. Knox for tennis and swimming. It's just business as usual.

I don't think Aloys do it for anything but could be wrong.
the Assistant referee was the dad of the hooker ... sounds a bit sketchy to me having him making a decision like that at such a crucial point in the game the dad shouldn't be there at all he's a barker dad and shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a flag for a 1sts game

RedOrDead

Charlie Fox (21)
the Assistant referee was the dad of the hooker ... sounds a bit sketchy to me having him making a decision like that at such a crucial point in the game the dad shouldn't be there at all he's a barker dad and shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a flag for a 1sts game

Prove it.

Jumping_jack

Ward Prentice (10)
Prove it.

I’m not going to post it, because that would not be fair. But I did just find a picture in a matter of 2 minutes on Facebook of the touchy and his son standing together.

So yeah, jump on Facebook and that proves it.

A good reminder for everyone to check privacy settings on your socials.

Last edited:

RedOrDead

Charlie Fox (21)
I’m not going to post it, because that would not be fair. But I did just find a picture in a matter of 2 minutes on Facebook of the touchy and his son standing together.

So yeah, jump on Facebook and that proves it.

A good reminder for everyone to check privacy settings on your socials.

Even if this is true (kid does have his privacy settings on... go figure) schools DO NOT appoint referees.

And additionally, we've boiled this whole situation down to this:
- No penalty should have been called against Barker in the first place.
- Referee voluntarily approached touch judge.
- Touch judge makes the right call.
- Referee decides to award try... not assistant referee.

The only thing that is up for debate really is whether play should have died when whistle was blown (which would have resulted in Barker having another opportunity to score 5 metres out, which probably ends in a Barker try anyways), or whether because the whistle was blown when Barker player was in process of diving for line, it is reasonable to deduce that a try was CERTAIN and hence try is good.

Jumping_jack

Ward Prentice (10)
Even if this is true schools DO NOT appoint referees.

And additionally, we've boiled this whole situation down to this:
- No penalty should have been called against Barker in the first place.
- Referee voluntarily approached touch judge.
- Touch judge makes the right call.
- Referee decides to award try... not assistant referee.

The only thing that is up for debate really is whether play should have died when whistle was blown (which would have resulted in Barker having another opportunity to score 5 metres out, which probably ends in a Barker try anyways), or whether because the whistle was blown when Barker player was in process of diving for line, it is reasonable to deduce that a try was CERTAIN and hence try is good.

It’s also against CAS by laws and St aloysius had points taken off then for doing the same in football.

Those still searching for the photo(if you don’t believe me), Barker congratulated all CAS reps on the 21st of June and posted it on Facebook. And that post has a lot of likes.

Last edited:

RedOrDead

Charlie Fox (21)
It’s also against CAS by laws and St aloysius had points taken off then for doing the same in football.

Those still searching for the photo(if you don’t believe me), Barker congratulated all CAS reps on the 21st of June and posted it on Facebook. And keegans family were very happy to like the post.

Once again. Even if this is true... Schools do not appoint refs for 1stXV games... and the right call by law was made (worst case scenario for Barker should have been their ball 5 metres out).

At worst this is a bad look.

Jumping_jack

Ward Prentice (10)
Once again. Even if this is true... Schools do not appoint refs for 1stXV games... and the right call by law was made (worst case scenario for Barker should have been their ball 5 metres out).

At worst this is a bad look.
You did ask it to be proven.

Done.

;)

Schools do appoint one touch judge for firsts games. The ref and one touchy by nsw refs.

RedOrDead

Charlie Fox (21)
You did ask it to be proven.

Done.

;)

Yes. Fair enough. His father does look like the touchy (can't see touches face, but similar beard).

Let's just say for arguments sake we can confirm it is his father.

Everything else I have argued is still true.

This isn't some cheating scandal because NSW referees appoint refs AND additionally I have completely broken down every potential infringement Barker could have been called for, and its evident that there should never have been a penalty blown in first place.

The right call was made and the only thing that is up for debate is whether play should have died when whistle was blown (which would have resulted in Barker having another opportunity to score 5 metres out, which probably ends in a Barker try anyways), or whether because the whistle was blown when Barker player was in process of diving for line, it is reasonable to deduce that a try was CERTAIN and hence try is good. And as I said earlier ref made this call, not assistant ref.

This is merely a really bad look, but the right call was made in the end.

CAS_Rugby

Bob McCowan (2)
That is terrible. Barker appointed a touchy to a game, whose son was playing in that game.

Thats almost the worst thing they could do. What a terrible look.

Running_rugby_1954

Dave Cowper (27)
That is terrible. Barker appointed a touchy to a game, whose son was playing in that game.

Thats almost the worst thing they could do. What a terrible look.
I mean, not the worst.

But why on Earth would they let that happen?

But also, how could the dad possibly do it? I could not touch judge my sons or daughters rugby games with the knowledge it would create this situation.

RedOrDead

Charlie Fox (21)
I mean, not the worst.

But why on Earth would they let that happen?

But also, how could the dad possibly do it? I could not touch judge my sons or daughters rugby games with the knowledge it would create this situation.

Believe to or not... I do agree.

Blatantly stupid on the fathers behalf. Stupid on NSW rugby's behalf too, but the father should have known better.

Don't be surprised if Juan De Lange comes off the bench for Barker this Saturday. I've heard he's been running well for the 2nd xv! Big, hard-running South African boy, built like a rhino, they just breed them differently over there. After a stint back home in South Africa he will be rampaging, I'd be cautious if I was trinity. Also heard he causes a ruckus on and off the field
I’L make sure to look out for him

RedPolarBear

Frank Row (1)
In the same vane that every GPS school in Brisbane run a sports scholarship programe for rugby. Every school. You should see what Knox does in the CAS tennis. All these year 10 and 11 kids in the 1sts and 2nds. Is anyone complaining? Nope. It is how the world is.
Look I won't dispute the scholarship issue surrounding schools, but bizarre that you've referenced Knox tennis as the example for CAS. Forget about the fact that, if you're good enough even to be considered for a scholarship at a CAS school, you wouldn't accept it because there's much better pathways for your tennis, it's much more common across all CAS schools to have year 10/11 students playing in 1st/2nds than say rugby or football (due to physicality difference from lower grades to 1st/2nds much smaller than any contact sports). Just because someone who moved up doesn't mean they're on scholarship - put simply tennis at Knox just has more students involved than the rest of the CAS schools, talent pool is naturally higher with a more competitive environment.

notreleasing

Frank Row (1)

Those still searching for the photo(if you don’t believe me), Barker congratulated all CAS reps on the 21st of June and posted it on Facebook. And that post has a lot of likes.
If this in reference to this season, Aloys football beat barker 4-0 and the result was void as they used a fresh substitution who arrived late and was subbed on. Nothing to do with referees

schoolboyfooty

Allen Oxlade (6)
Waverley vs Aloys at Death Valley The Public Park will be closer than people think, this is a matchup St Aloysius often gets up for. However, I think R.Stock will get up for this fixture, and as I will be in attendance it would be a delight to meet the young man. Good luck to both sides.
Ruben will indeed be ready for this match up as he aims to send off his year 12's with a win. His target pilfs are 12 this game.
However, you may not be able to meet Ruben as he has security with him as soon as he leaves the field, you may be lucky if you put through a request.