• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2024

belowthesternum

Bob McCowan (2)
Link Below for Video of Oakhill-Knox Game.

It was great to see and hear a great atmosphere from the Oakhill crowd throughout the game. I'm sure it certainly helped lift them for the occasion of Gala day.No. 13 was great scoring a Hat-trick and I think the bold leaping take from No 4 off the kick off really set the tone and intensity from Oakhill for the rest of the game.

On the other hand the Knox forwards were well competitive with the Oakhill Pack, but in terms of the backs there was a lack of spark apart from their No 13 who has some good moments. Interesting to see how they will be able to contain the superstar backline that comes in the form of Auggies.

Bob McCowan (2)
Can I ask that next time you want to quote me, please include the rest of my post.

I never said Waverley had a weak program, in actual fact, I think that the program is great.

1sts had a few players coming back and they will be better for the run. I still think 1sts will win CAS.

Yes, 1sts lost in the last minute, but 13As and 14As won both their games in the last minute. These are the 3 teams I made exception to from the scores I posted.

I am not going to sugar coat it, Waves didn't win a game in Opens or 16's and 15A's lost as well. That's disappointing but in no way a disaster.

10 wins, 12 losses and 1 draw - I am sure a few others also had higher expectations.

Opens = 0 wins & 5 losses
16’s = 0 wins & 3 losses
15’s = B's, C's, D's & E's won & A's lost
14s = all 5 teams won
13s = A's won, B's drew & next 3 teams lost

I was there for most of the day and saw alot of games.

I will call it as it is. It may be brutal but hopefully it serves as a wake up call as Oakhill are going to be just as difficult next week.

FYI... I went to Waverley. 2 of my son's go to and play rugby for Waverley. I bleed blue & Gold.
Sounds like it's developing into a great rivalry - that's good for both schools. I heard there was a huge crowd to watch the game with a lot of their junior teams staying to watch - good for Auggies.

As much as I would like the Waves to win, it's only school footy. Some age groups are just stronger than others.

Footylegend2

Allen Oxlade (6)
Just good to see an underdog get a win against a much stronger side.

Cheers,
Arthur

I would have to say aloys isn't a much stronger side, I would actually say Pius is the much stronger side they have had a very good preseason.
Beating Trinity and Aloys, I'd even have to say they would give cranbrook a good crack.

Backintheolddays

Darby Loudon (17)
Curious question. Showing my age but Cranbrook were one of the stronger schools in Australian rugby in the 80s. While always more academic/culturally aligned than their friends up the hill why have they dropped off so much in rugby? I know cricket remains strong but interested to understand why they’ve settled for mid field.
not shit stirring, genuinely curious as they were once very strong

Reactions: 777

Bob McCowan (2)
Curious question. Showing my age but Cranbrook were one of the stronger schools in Australian rugby in the 80s. While always more academic/culturally aligned than their friends up the hill why have they dropped off so much in rugby? I know cricket remains strong but interested to understand why they’ve settled for mid field.
not shit stirring, genuinely curious as they were once very strong
Yeah, they had some great teams back in the 80s. I'm pretty sure they won at least 3 CAS titles in that period. I think either their 85 or 86 team knocked off Joeys, but not completely sure if that's correct. They were solid in the 90s as well.

As a Waves old boy, they were our biggest rival. That's the one school you didn't want to lose to and I know that's still the case today. It would be great for rivalry to see them getting back close to the top of school footy but with them going co-ed, I fear they may drop further behind on the rugby field.

As to why they have dropped to mid field? Probably needs a Cranbrook person to answer that question.

Gazza

Frank Row (1)
Yeah, they had some great teams back in the 80s. I'm pretty sure they won at least 3 CAS titles in that period. I think either their 85 or 86 team knocked off Joeys, but not completely sure if that's correct. They were solid in the 90s as well.

As a Waves old boy, they were our biggest rival. That's the one school you didn't want to lose to and I know that's still the case today. It would be great for rivalry to see them getting back close to the top of school footy but with them going co-ed, I fear they may drop further behind on the rugby field.

As to why they have dropped to mid field? Probably needs a Cranbrook person to answer that question.
They have had a few injuries throughout the trials I am led to believe, especially in some key positions. Should be all back for round 1 apparently.