• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS U16s 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
The NSWSRU U16 teams will be announced on Wednesday 28 June after the annual meeting between Schools, NSW Country and Sydney Juniors. Players selected will be contacted on the Wednesday by the managers of the teams. The teams will be posted on the website as well. Good luck to all with selections.

Results from the New South Wales Schools Rugby U16 Championships Sunday 25th of June.

President’s Shield: Pres XVB 48 (W. Cant (2), S. Grace, A. McCredie, T. Creighton (2), A. Fisher (2) tries, S. Grace, D. Dight, T. Creighton (2) con) beat AICES 10 (N. Watts, P. Orr).

NSWSRU Life Member's Shield: CAS 58 (S Kennedy, O. Hughes, J. Cameron, A. Pakutoa, S. Rechner, K. Galloway (3), J. Mcneill, D. Breden tries, B. Pollack (2), L. Vass (2) con) beat ISA II 5 (H. Scott tries).

John Miller Shield: Pres XV A 39 (H. Bokenham, J. Brial, L. Albert, D, O’Brien, T. Aviard tries, J. Gibbs (3), J. O’Sullivan con, J. Gibbs, J. O’Sullivan pen) beat ISA I 5 (W. Smith).

Martin Pitt Shield: CCC 16 (T. Giles, M. Fonua tries, L. Hutchinson-Walters (2)) beat CHS I 15 (G. Leventis, L. Gleeson, F. Isaacs tries).

Results from the New South Wales Schools Rugby U16 Championships held at Curagul Field North Turramurra Saturday 24th June.

Game 1: Pres XV A 29 (J. Brial(2), D. O’Brian(2), J, O’Sullivan tries, J. Gibbs 2 con) beat ISA II 14 (A. Tuitavake, T. Baum tries, M. Redgley 2 con)
Game 2: CHS I 43 (L. Gleeson, N. Russell, D. Vei, T. Ingram, M. Carroll, J. Tuione, T. Alca tries, D.Vei 4 con) beat AICES 7 (F. Bowyer try, T. Maslen con)
Game 3: ISA I 40 (W. Smith, F. Wright, C. Trengove, J. Ovenden, C. Rothpletz-Smith 2 tries, N. Rankine 3, J. Ovenden 2 con) beat Pres XV B 5 (L. Goldsmith try)
Game 4: CCC 17 (L. Hutchinson-Walters, T.Giles tries, L. Hutchinson-Walters 2 con, L. Hutchinson-Walters pen) beat CAS 5 (J. Cameron try)
Game 5: CHS I 19 (D. Vei, J. Vincent tries, D. Vei con) beat Pres XV A 12 (D. O’Brian, J. Willams tries, J. Gibbs con)
Game 6: ISA II 13 (M. Redgley, M. Loiterton tries, M. Redgley pen) beat AICES 5 (P. Orr try)
Game 7: CCC 39 (J. Fraser (3), C. Patolo, L. Hutchinson-Walters tries, L. Hutchinson-Walters (4) con, L. Hutchinson-Walters (2) pen) beat ISA I 22 (T. Oxford, T. Hooper, C. Hooper, N. Rankine tries, B. Mitchell penalty)
Game 8: CAS 24 (W. Kablau, T. Constable, S. Rechner, M. Hawkes tries, L. Vass 2 con) beat Pres XV B 5 (J. Jones try)

thepuma

Peter Burge (5)
CCC over CHS 16-15 in final after a penalty Goal on the bell (from the sideline having missed 2 far easier ones). A fairly scrappy affair with a lot of turnover ball. Set piece was pretty ordinary reflecting I think the league background of many of the players. Indeed it was a lot like watching a game of league - very physical, a lot of one out stuff, plenty of tap n go plays off penalties and big hits in defence. Overall entertaining given closeness of the score throughout. Some interesting questions for the selectors I would think - the leaguies clearly got the better of CAS and GPS, but the set piece would be quickly found out against higher level competition if the team was mainly comprised of today's finalists. A good blend of league mongrel and rugby technical skills will need to be chosen to be competitive at the Nationals. Good luck to all boys on selections.

I think that it was indicative of the pressure applied in defence by both teams who were very fast to the game line which is why they were there today at 2.30 facing off. Both teams had nearly all rugby players who might play both codes but to suggest they are all leaguies or there be pre requisite numbers of GPS, CAS or ISA with the shield finalists selected highlights real ignorance on your part sir and the real problem with Australian rugby. PS I wish your son all the best on selections.

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
My son wasnt part of it.

I agree CCC and CHS shpuld get the lions share of selections and my comments weren't meant to suggest that a given number of CAS or GPS boys need to be chosen, merely that the set piece will need to be better when playing Qld et al than was evident today and I'm not convinced that the answer to that lies solely within CCC and CHS. Similarly, whilst there may be the odd occasion where 'tap n go, truck it up the guts' is the best option, it should not be the default. If you find that ignorant, so be it. Good luck to your lad.

Gary Owen III

Syd Malcolm (24)
The NSWSRU U16 teams will be announced on Wednesday 28 June after the annual meeting between Schools, NSW Country and Sydney Juniors. Players selected will be contacted on the Wednesday by the managers of the teams. The teams will be posted on the website as well.

I don't know if this is correct... the SJRU U16 team will not be picked till after the regionals on 1st/2nd July. So to have the 'horse trading' meeting before that would seem redundant.

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
That was my initial impression also. I'm quoting from NSW schools website but does seem contrary to usual procedure

carl spackler

Sydney Middleton (9)
That was my initial impression also. I'm quoting from NSW schools website but does seem contrary to usual procedure
I have just checked the NSW School's website and it now mentions the selection announcement as 5 July, explaining that they need to wait until the Sydney team is announced on Sunday.
Without knowing much about the selection process, what number of CAS boys are likely to be selected based on their disappointing placement over the weekend? How many were selected last year?

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
Hard to say. Last year CAS made the final and went well against Pres A before having 7 selected to NSW. ISA who lost 2 out of 3 matches had 9 chosen. GPS had 10 and CHS only 1 (IIRC). You would expect majority to come from the finalists. After that, there doesn't seem to be a consistent pattern.

carl spackler

Sydney Middleton (9)
What was very clear on the weekend was that the teams who had a lead-up regime of trial matches and camps came out of the blocks strongly, whereas the CAS and GPS teams, who first trained together in the week leading up to the tournament, took time to get combinations working.
I hope the selectors take this important fact into consideration.

Elizabeth P

Frank Row (1)
I think that it was indicative of the pressure applied in defence by both teams who were very fast to the game line which is why they were there today at 2.30 facing off. Both teams had nearly all rugby players who might play both codes but to suggest they are all leaguies or there be pre requisite numbers of GPS, CAS or ISA with the shield finalists selected highlights real ignorance on your part sir and the real problem with Australian rugby. PS I wish your son all the best on selections.

i agree..thank you

RUCKHIMOUT

Frank Row (1)
I have just checked the NSW School's website and it now mentions the selection announcement as 5 July, explaining that they need to wait until the Sydney team is announced on Sunday.

Without knowing much about the selection process, what number of CAS boys are likely to be selected based on their disappointing placement over the weekend? How many were selected last year?

I know little about the selection process either. But you would hope, that overall team placement would mean "ZERO", in the player selection process.

15 positions on the field. Each one should be filled by the best player available, regardless of team, or team success.

The rest of the squad should be the next best players, who can cover the key positions, in the event of injury/fatigue.

This process should be an endeavour to select the best players.

NOT an endeavour to reward the most successful teams.

thepuma

Peter Burge (5)
I know little about the selection process either. But you would hope, that overall team placement would mean "ZERO", in the player selection process.

15 positions on the field. Each one should be filled by the best player available, regardless of team, or team success.

The rest of the squad should be the next best players, who can cover the key positions, in the event of injury/fatigue.

This process should be an endeavour to select the best players.

NOT an endeavour to reward the most successful teams.

I think a few associations have wished that would be the case for many years only to be told that is the reason they haven't featured.
We will see!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Armchair Selector

Johnnie Wallace (23)

Carl Spackler and Ruckhimout, I wouldn't read too much into conspiracy theories (yet). In Under 16s, there are usually a number of boys with multiple pathways to NSW Representative selection; U16 NSW Schools Championship, NSW Schools (Opens) Championships, NSWJRU U15 (Sydney or Country) and NSWJRU U16 (Sydney or Country).

Each year NSW Schools and NSWJRU (Sydney and Country) take turns at having first "dibs" on players who have participated in both schools championships and Regional Club Championships.

I am not sure who has first rights this year but they wont release Schools selections until after the Regional Carnival as a courtesy to the other pathway to ensure selected players don't withdraw from whichever carnival occurs later if the players in question have secured selection.

Selection "Leaks" have occurred in the past and players have mysteriously withdrawn which is very ordinary.

Remember NSWJRU U15, NSW Schools U16, Sydney U16 and NSW Country U16 play an invitational tournament later in the year. So there are conflicts in picking from the same talent pool.

Gary Owen III

Syd Malcolm (24)
Remember NSWJRU U15, NSW Schools U16, Sydney U16 and NSW Country U16 play an invitational tournament later in the year. So there are conflicts in picking from the same talent pool.

No NSWJRU U15 team this year... they have the revamped JGC at the end of the season.

NSW Invitational will involve SJRU U16's, CJRU U16's and 2 x NSW Schools U16's. All will compete for spots in the TWO x NSW U16's teams to compete at the Nationals.

So YES - players doing school and club can get 2 shots at making a team to contest the Invitational. To then get a shot at a final NSW team.

Tight_Five

Frank Row (1)
I am not sure who has first rights this year but they wont release Schools selections until after the Regional Carnival as a courtesy to the other pathway to ensure selected players don't withdraw from whichever carnival occurs later if the players in question have secured selection.

I thought a player could only be a part of one carnival?

meat1head

Peter Burge (5)
2017 NSWSRU U16s Team

NSWSRU U16s 1st XV:
W Smith (ISA), B Males (CCC), N Jones (Pres A) H. Bockenham (Pres A), T Hooper (ISA), C Hooper (ISA), B Westcott (CCC), J Brial (Pres A), L Albert (Pres A), D VeI (CHS), Toesami Toevai (CHS), Christopher Patolo (CCC), N Rankin (ISA), K Galloway (CAS), L Hutchinson –Walters (CCC), B Pollard (CAS), D Botha (Pres A), V Reilly (ISA), A Johnson (CCC), F Wright (ISA), T Constable (CAS), J Fraser (CCC), N Chan (Pres A)

NSWSRU U16s 2nd XV:
J. Stone (Pres A), D Pritchard (CHS), M Hawkes (CAS), O Hughes (CAS), E McQueen (CHS), A Tuitavake (ISA), N Russell (CHS), P Sevele (CCC), C Trengrove (ISA), J Gibbs (Pres A), T Latu (Pres A) S Taufui (CCC), M Carroll (CHS), J Williams (Pres A), J Vincent (CHS), O Hannan (Pres A), W Kablau (CAS), C Rothpletz-Smith (ISA) M. Fonua (CCC), C. Molloy (CAS), C Adams (Pres A), S. Recher (CAS) , P Simpson (ISA)

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
CHS probably entitled to feel a bit harshly treated with only 2 in 1sts after almost winning the title. Meanwhile, ISAs charmed run with selectors continues with 6 in the 1sts after losing 2 from 3 matches including a 5-39 loss to Pres A, who in turn lost to CHS. I know it's about picking the best individual
players, but presumably more than 2 CHS lads were responsible for their strong performance over the 3 matches played.

Status
Not open for further replies.