• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Ch9 RWC coverage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schadenfreude

John Solomon (38)
I found Channel 9's coverage offensive the entire way through. The netball gets better coverage than the rugby world cup.

Ray Hadley was terrible - sounded like he was calling the Melbourne cup.

Buying the rights to a sporting event, then either not showing games, showing them late, promoting other codes during the telecast and whatever that farce last night was - is surely an anti-competitive practice?

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Coverage was absolutely horrific. Total embarrassment to Nine.

The silver lining was that Ray didn't talk about the pokey laws or the carbon tax.

Loki74

Ward Prentice (10)
I found Channel 9's coverage offensive the entire way through. The netball gets better coverage than the rugby world cup.

Buying the rights to a sporting event, then either not showing games, showing them late, promoting other codes during the telecast and whatever that farce last night was - is surely an anti-competitive practice?

Glad I wasn't the only one. My nanny (who is from New Zealand) made the exact same comment. Sounded like a race call "Genia passes to Barnes, on to Ashley Cooper, by a lenght to Beale, and coming up the straight is Black Caviar who charges through to win by a nose". What a farce. I had to turn to mute on a number of occasions. The only reason I haven't gone to Fox is because that is exactly what they want. Not going to pay them for being complete crap.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Braveheart81 reckoned it sounded like an AM radio call. Maybe Ray didn't know that we could see the game too?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

Welcome aboard Schadenfreude. Love the name. One of my favourite words. Hope you enjoy your time in Gaggerland.

Loki74

Ward Prentice (10)
Channel 9 really showed their true colours tonight.

Suffocating the entire world cup during the pool stages, in order to protect their coveted baby (NRL Finals). Then the horrendous coverage, then finally tonight, the second the full time whistle was blown, they cut straight to Underbelly. No wrap up. No captains interviews. Nada.

I mean seriously. Talk about dropping the coverage (and any thin veneer they cobbled together that may have suggested they are behind our national side) dead. Gregan, Slacky & Nobody must have been given an early Mark from any post match debriefing, I'll bet they were spewin'. No doubt those 9 execs just couldn't wait to ram home their new drama to the millions of dejected Wallaby fans already vulnerable in front of their TVs. Assholes.

The ARU needs to give the broadcast of these events (and Trinations) to a free to air channel that will actually promote the code. Taking the highest $$$ bidder with no further consideration as to what they do with the actual coverage is so short sighted.

I really think the ARU have shot the game in the head with the deal they did with 9. You get one chance every 4 years in Australia to build some hype and interest in Rugby. Taking big $$$ doesn't make up for the lack of this(particularly participation rates at the junior level). Channel 9 is a Rugby League channel. Always has been. And the conflict of interest with Fox doesn't help. So we got no promotion during pool stages, insulting scheduling, with few live matches, a last minute effort bringing in some Leaguies who haven't watched a game in twenty years and then on to 9's latest attempt to screw a few dollars out of one successful Australian drama idea from a few years ago. No coverage of the Wallabies as a team or attempt to use the Cup to boost the level of interest and visibility of the game.

Schadenfreude

John Solomon (38)
Hopefully the SANZAR nations can negotiate their rights to promote and sell their own sports in their own countries. The current situation does nothing to promote Rugby in Australia.

Though maybe all of SANZAR is replaceable...

Loki74

Ward Prentice (10)
Hopefully the SANZAR nations can negotiate their rights to promote and sell their own sports in their own countries. The current situation does nothing to promote Rugby in Australia.

Though maybe all of SANZAR is replaceable...

Don't know why they bother with us at all. Personally, I think the next Cup will still be a fantastic spectacle if England is the only team that turns up.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Last night's game was the most watched program ever on Australian Pay TV. I suppose their had to be some upside to it all...

matty_k

Peter Johnson (47)
Staff member
I can only comment on what I could see (was watching the FoxSports coverage but I could see a tv showing the Nine coverage).

The Nine coverage was a good 4-5 seconds ahead of the FS coverage and the FS coverage seemed to be zoomed in a little or just the edges were trimmed..

P

pete88

The ARU did, however, knowingly sell Nine the rights to the domestic season. Hopefully they have learnt, and in future will lobby the IRB HARD to not let Nine near the coverage again. It's in the IRB's interest as much as anyone else's to have Rugby promoted well here. The Mediawatch on the Nine farce said Ten put in a "highly competitive bid". I wonder what the differences were?

Loki74

Ward Prentice (10)
The ARU did, however, knowingly sell Nine the rights to the domestic season. Hopefully they have learnt, and in future will lobby the IRB HARD to not let Nine near the coverage again. It's in the IRB's interest as much as anyone else's to have Rugby promoted well here. The Mediawatch on the Nine farce said Ten put in a "highly competitive bid". I wonder what the differences were?

And another interesting point re coverage. According to my kiwi nanny (who is teaching my son bad habits), the Wallabies gave the ABs a guard of honour off the ground. Nice touch of respect and smacks of good character. But not picked up on any coverage I have seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.