• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Ch9 RWC coverage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Badger

Bill McLean (32)
It is a worry as they don't have a good track record with general programming, let alone sport. They have NRL finals to broadcast as well in September and the big concern is the Wallabies/Ireland game on September 17 which could clash with an NRL finals match.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It's going to be a bit of a loss of face for whoever gets bunted to Gem on September 17. I'm predicting it will be Australia vs Ireland unfortunately.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
The aus v Ireland game has been bumped to gem. Already been announced.

Unfortunately, the ARU decision was based more on revenue than spreading the game.

There where rumors ABC might pick up some games between other nations but they seem to have gone flat at the moment.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The NSWRU should start pushing some Shute Shield games to Foxsports. WIth the Viewer's Choice function they can pretty much show as much content as they like. For what is surely a fairly low cost of producing a Shute Shield match for TV, it would hopefully help promote club rugby.

A

Army_Gav

The NSWRU should start pushing some Shute Shield games to Foxsports. WIth the Viewer's Choice function they can pretty much show as much content as they like. For what is surely a fairly low cost of producing a Shute Shield match for TV, it would hopefully help promote club rugby.
Use to love watching it on ABC HD, before ABC 24 started.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It annoys me so much how the free to air channels generally don't show sport on their HD channels now. One HD is about the only one that does.

The introduction of ABC News 24 was so frustrating for that precise reason!

S

StonerJack

Does anyone know of anywhere online that will be showing the games that don't include the Wallabies? It's a bit hard to stomach that those without foxtel won't see the bulk of the world cup! Would prefer a pay site as the quality is much higher.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I pressed that magic Green button on Fox and now all the matches are now programmed to be recorded in HD.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Does anyone know of anywhere online that will be showing the games that don't include the Wallabies? It's a bit hard to stomach that those without foxtel won't see the bulk of the world cup! Would prefer a pay site as the quality is much higher.

Sorry mate we can't talk about illegal streaming sites here as we have a bit of a relationship with the ARU and by extension Foxsports, and they get angry when we try and circumvent the system.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
It annoys me so much how the free to air channels generally don't show sport on their HD channels now. One HD is about the only one that does.

The introduction of ABC News 24 was so frustrating for that precise reason!

Could not agree more Braveheart81. Honestly, I think it's a disgrace that they - and their oligopoly-based huge profits - have been granted all these extra channels, and now barely deploy HD, a technology for which most modern large TV screens were designed and which immeasurably increases the enjoyment of most programs shot in it. Especially sports like rugby. An absolute joke that this is permitted by government, and backward for a country meant to pride itself on being up with the best technologies and now building an NBN!

I watch most rugby on a 120" home movie screen with full surround audio and via a JVC X3 HD D-ILA projector playing Foxtel HD and the immersive viewing experience is simply exceptional! Via FTA Ch9 in SD it's a murky, smeary mess.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
My biggest gripe with the free to air TV channels is when Channel 9 only shows the cricket on the non-HD regular Channel 9 channel and then cuts to the news at 6pm and misses the last half hour of play. Meanwhile, Gem HD is showing The Nanny.

Why wouldn't you just bump The Nanny and put the cricket on there when the news starts? I'm sure 8 or 9 people would be really upset not to be able to see The Nanny, but I'm pretty sure they'd survive.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
Best bet without foxtel is to rock up to your local rugby flavored pub, order a jug and watch.

my local is showing every single game. couldn't be happier.

alternatively, foxtel basic package plus sports package is going for $50 a month on a 1 year contract with free installation etc.

not a bad deal.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
....alternatively, foxtel basic package plus sports package is going for $50 a month on a 1 year contract with free installation etc. not a bad deal.

IMO, that's an excellent deal (and you get lots more besides). Apart from the hapless Fox commentariat (I would pay $10 pm extra for a black button to delete their inputs), the actual production/camera/edit quality is very good, and watching a sport like rugby or cricket in full HD is just so much more pleasurable and engaging than FTA SD. HD is also especially value-addiing if you like to look at player or play detail via replay in slo-mo or such like, so much more detail there for close checks than in SD.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I would be expecting Channel 9 not to provide the same excellent service that Channel 10 did for the 2007 RWC.

Channel 10 provided a pretty good free to air alternative and showed a lot of live matches that didn't feature the Wallabies or All Blacks.

I'm assuming that 9 will only be interested in the Wallabies matches, and maybe a few AB games and whatever relevant finals.

And I don't expect to see everything live in Melbourne.

Status
Not open for further replies.