• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Cheerio Deans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Badgers are ace

Frank Row (1)
Just wanted to say that, as B&I fan, this has been a fantastic tournament, ok we won in the end, but it has been much better than in SA 4 years ago, also against NZ in 2005, when dan carter destroyed us.

I have just watched the highlights from all the games and it has been a great tournament, great tries, the build up,, the fans, and everything. Rugby was the winner once again, all the best/

BPC

Phil Hardcastle (33)
They players had shocking games tonight, but that is often what costs coaches their job. Happened to both Connolly and Jones.
Deans has had the team for 6 years. If we'd won several Bledisloe's and a World
Cup you could forgive tonight's result as an aberration. There have been gradual improvements by the team during Deans reign but the past has shown us nothing to suggest we would close the gap between us and the ABs ( for example) if we keep going the way we've been going.

The story of Deans reign at the reins has been two steps forward, two steps back. I don't feel as if the team has progressed significantly since 2007.

Bessa

Ted Fahey (11)
Just wanted to say that, as B&I fan, this has been a fantastic tournament, ok we won in the end, but it has been much better than in SA 4 years ago, also against NZ in 2005, when dan carter destroyed us.

I have just watched the highlights from all the games and it has been a great tournament, great tries, the build up,, the fans, and everything. Rugby was the winner once again, all the best/
Wrong thread mate

Loki74

Ward Prentice (10)
I was thinking to myself this morning that I should not have been surprised by last night. One of the hall marks of Deans time as coach is that every time the team talks themselves up, they put out one of the poorest performances seen. Last night was probably one of the worst performances I have seen from the Wallabies in a few years. Really very little positives to take out of it. Seems like the players get ahead of themselves. Can't blame Deans too much for the players media confidence. However, there is also a strong record now of Deans being unable to get the Wallabies to perform for the big games, and that I think means it is time for him to go.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Test series broke records at each ground. Considering what I paid for a ticket in the cheapest section ($175) they should have enough to punt him:

Brisbane: 52499
Melbourne: 56771
Sydney: 83702
TOTAL: 192972

At the base rate of $175 = $33.77 million.

If the average ticket price was $220 = $42.45 million.

Take out costs, carry the three.... Throw in the fact the ARU got $1m hand over fist to give a game to Honkers...

Total net is 6.8 metric fuckwads of cash. They've got enough.

-----------------------
I hate autocorrect ...

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
scaraby - he said he left early as a result of the game, not his hassles moving kids around.

And would you have left early with three kids if the wallabies had won? Or if it was closer?

I've got kids. I know it's a hassle. Generally I don't take them for that reason, plus the cost of it.

-----------------------
I hate autocorrect ...

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Again factually incorrect - he was a selector in 1992 and in the 1994-1995 seasons. He had no national coaching appointments (apart from coaching the Australia XV the Australia A side in 1995). Sir Clive was appointed in 1998 with a view to a total rebuild so his tenure was understandable.
White was appointed to Bok position at the start of the 2004 season and so had two and a half years to get the Bok ready for the 2007 RWC.

You arguments are based on a poor recollection of the facts.
I think whoever is the coach has enough time.
But if White started at the beginning of 2004, he had 4 seasons including the 2007 home season prior to RWC 2007. Not two and a half, no? MacQueen had the shortest tenure of the past 4 RWC-winning coaches, in terms of lead-up to the tournament, I think.
Interesting that all four were management style coaching directors.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Jake White please. Need someone to turn our boys into men

According to Eddie Jones, Jake White should take over for a couple of years and get the crap out of the Wallabies (off-field dramas, poor basics etc.)

Then McKenzie, who would have been at the Rebels in that time (according to Jones) would be appointed Wallaby coach.

Sounds like a plan.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
I think there is plenty of time for a new coach. This isn't the same situation that Knuckles was unfortunately faced with. The fact that he had a host of players that were at the end of their careers or even past it and no 2nd layer to work with or build.

Whoever comes in now has a lot of young players with years of rugby ahead of them and if they can stay healthy can build a squad of 30-32 that will be ready.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I think there is plenty of time for a new coach. This isn't the same situation that Knuckles was unfortunately faced with. The fact that he had a host of players that were at the end of their careers or even past it and no 2nd layer to work with or build.

Whoever comes in now has a lot of young players with years of rugby ahead of them and if they can stay healthy can build a squad of 30-32 that will be ready.

I think we've got a pretty damn good pool of talent at the moment going into the next world cup, but we need to get the next coach in asap.......

Letting Deans remain until the end of the year is just a waste of time........

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I think whoever is the coach has enough time.
But if White started at the beginning of 2004, he had 4 seasons including the 2007 home season prior to RWC 2007. Not two and a half, no? MacQueen had the shortest tenure of the past 4 RWC-winning coaches, in terms of lead-up to the tournament, I think.
Interesting that all four were management style coaching directors.

Yes. At least 3 full seasons of tests, which would equate to about 35 - 40 tests.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Deans did some good things early on but as time has gone on he has devolved. The awe of invincibility has washed away and I think he has been exposed as not being able to cope under the pressure.

It is time to move on and Link is the man for the job. He offers the same qualities as Jake White in discipline, culture reform, good choice of support staff, gets the best out of his players, eye for talent. But on top of this he has an astute knowledge and depth of experience in Australian rugby. We have a good base to work from but now need somebody who can get the Wallabies to play to their strengths again which has always been that we were a smart and creative side.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
If he were making the right decisions and getting beaten that's fair enough...but to be consistently making the wrong decisions and knowing it is another matter..it's not as though it's all hindsight, most critics come out and bag him before the result is known

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
Deans did some good things early on but as time has gone on he has devolved.

. We have a good base to work from but now need somebody who can get the Wallabies to play to their strengths again which has always been that we were a smart and creative side.

i seriously think this is one of the problems. some of the playing group are just not that bright. before professionalism, most of the elite rugby players in this country were largely professional people, well educated. with some notable exceptions, listening to some of the current crop of wallabies spout cliches and motherhood statements in response to the media, you have to wonder about their "smarts". i am not talking about formal education or background, but for the younger playing group all they have known and done is play pro rugby (and X-box!)

Status
Not open for further replies.