• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Cheerio Deans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Milts100

Frank Row (1)
Test series broke records at each ground. Considering what I paid for a ticket in the cheapest section ($175) they should have enough to punt him:

Brisbane: 52499
Melbourne: 56771
Sydney: 83702
TOTAL: 192972

At the base rate of $175 = $33.77 million.

If the average ticket price was $220 = $42.45 million.

Take out costs, carry the three.. Throw in the fact the ARU got $1m hand over fist to give a game to Honkers.

Total net is 6.8 metric fuckwads of cash. They've got enough.

-----------------------
I hate autocorrect .
BRILLIANT!!! Well said!

Thomo

Bob McCowan (2)
The other reality we need to keep in mind is that Australian rugby as a success story is infrequent and rather recent. A lot of people here remember 1999-2001 as the golden era, but some try to accept it as a benchmark.

I think that's a fair point. The Wallabies have their moments like the mid to late '80s and the late '90s. It is reasonable for a supporter to expect the Wallabies to be sorta competitive with the top nations most years, and then to excel for a couple of years every decade or so. That's our history.

So, yes, we have ups and downs, and, yes, some expect too much because of our "over performance around 2000".

But as a long term Wallaby fan, what I find annoying about the current era is that we are clearly underperforming. Poor selections, poor tactics, poor execution.

So forget about wanting to dominate the world. All I want is to feel good about the way the side is playing. I want to enjoy watching the Wallabies play. Win or lose. At the moment, being a Wallaby supporter is a frustrating experience. Win or lose. Damn it.

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
How about we appoint a coach who can help us win the goddamn Bledisloe before we start giving the RWC two shits of attention.

Bloody RWC, it's a disease. It isn't the only thing to care about in rugby.

How about we appoint a coach who can just help us win the next game of rugby.

A for the record Moses, Deans should never be backs coach - have you not seen the way our backs play. Utter embarrassment.

Fun fact. Dingo's win rate is about 51%. So for every Wallaby match you have watched in the past 6 years, there has been about a 50% chance we won't come away with the goods.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I think that's a fair point. The Wallabies have their moments like the mid to late '80s and the late '90s.

RWC 1991 would probably qualify as a 'moment'!

I totally agree with you though, it's great to be the best but more important is that we are doing the best we possibly can..and we simply aren't, it's very frustrating!

Pusser

Larry Dwyer (12)
Fun fact. Dingo's win rate is about 51%. So for every Wallaby match you have watched in the past 6 years, there has been about a 50% chance we won't come away with the goods.
Check Sully's post #74. He is within a few percent of our long term average.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Check Sully's post #74. He is within a few percent of our long term average.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
FYI if you right click on the number you can copy the link to the post. Saves people looking for a particular post.

And so were Jones and Connelly but they both got sacked for not winning enough.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
And to be fair to Jones, he got sacked for a lot less than Deans.......

Essentially one bad year that did involve a horror injury toll........

Not to take away from that scrum-shaming at Twickenham.........

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Deans is now a "lame duck" coach in the parlance of USA politics. He cannot expect to have his contract renewed, so he will be redundant from now to the end of the year if he stays on. That is simply unacceptable. He must go now so that his replacement (I hope for Link, but would find Jake White acceptable) can pick up the pieces and start to rebuild confidence, culture and the team. On this subject, I don't expect either Link or Jake to continue with JOC (James O'Connor) or Beale in the group. Both better than average players but too individualistic to add anything positive to a team environment imo. By the way, where does JOC (James O'Connor) go now that the Rebels have released him. I'd suggest overseas asap.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
And to be fair to Jones, he got sacked for a lot less than Deans...

Essentially one bad year that did involve a horror injury toll....

Not to take away from that scrum-shaming at Twickenham...

Jones had lost the players with his repetitious gobledegook, all controlling nature and double standards - - - - -hold on

EDIT: just realised I was thinking of Gloria while Slim 293 was talking of Eddie - could it be our age difference????

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Jones had lost the players with his repetitious gobledegook, all controlling nature and double standards - - - - -hold on

But the similarities end there surely? I mean, neither of them only won their Super Rugby titles due to an amazing playing roster bolstered by a committed back room free of political influence.... OK I'll just stop there.

:)

I was just struck by this thought: imagine if we'd lost 22-21, having held them scoreless after their last penalty, scoring a try after the bell out wide that Lilo failed to convert? What would the thought process here be?

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
And to be fair to Jones, he got sacked for a lot less than Deans...

Essentially one bad year that did involve a horror injury toll....

Not to take away from that scrum-shaming at Twickenham...

Jones was sacked more because the ARU and everyone else had lost faith in his play by the number game management approach. They rightly saw that the homogeneous player type and skill set he selected for and encouraged in Australian players wasn't going to cut it either and a totally new direction for Australian Rugby was required.

Connolly was always going to be pushing it up hill to over come the years of training and skill selection that saw front row and tight 5 play largely neglected for other skills. I still feel that Connolly was hard done by in the shortness of his tenure given the issues he had to overcome. However, he like some others in the history of Australian Rugby didn't play the political game effectively enough to pro-long his stint, and the return of JON basically meant that Connolly was a shot duck.

I wonder what people think of JON's legacy now? Massive debt, shrinking revenue streams, no third tier, questionable viability of the two new Franchises, ethical and integrity questions over the whole ARU board and management group and the re-signing of the Deans without any due process or significantly better results than other sacked coaches had achieved. It seems that his new venture at Echo isn't going that well either...... perhaps his skills were a bit over rated?

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
CEO is one job that there is no qualification for except being able to talk your way into it. Come in, put a broom through the place, make everyone believe you are the wind of change that will blow the ship on the right course.

Then take your bonus, leave, and convince the next mob that you're the man. If you get a bad reference, you can always sue and make your money that way.

`

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Pfitzy not sure I follow since Jones never coached at a s15 level equivalent.
I maintain that Jones lost the players and that the ARU realised it would only get worse: Gould refused to go to NZ for the 3rd 4th playoff, Farr-Jones was on the nose because he was working despite a Jones imposed ban on work (which Jones flouted), Steve Williams had had enough of him, he drove Ella into retirement (thought there is some dispute over this) and he played his favourites (James Black, Coker, Brian Smith).
Not that any of this matters.
And although I was joking the more you look the more the similarities in a kind of way.

Set piece magic

John Solomon (38)
I'd like to say that I normally refuse to leave early however this was different, I had an enormous train ride home which I wanted to spend not in the company of a train full of Lions fans roaring for their beloved chariot to carry them all the way back to England.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Deans position must surely be untenable now. Five years is enough for any senior coach to implement their game plan and the results to vindicate it (or otherwise). I was happy for him to be given the job at the start (though I was unhappy about the process) and even up to RWC2011 comfortable that we were at least headed in the right direction. Not now though. We have not advanced and are at best going sideways. We could have and perhaps should have won this series, could have and perhaps should have won at least one Bledisloe "series" in the last few years, to say nothing of the disappointment of the world cup.

It's just not good enough now and if you look at it in terms of the kind of assessment you might make of a CEO's performance, you'd be left with the opinion that he's not the man to carry us forward. There can be no doubt about that now IMHO. Two years is more than long enough to get us back to the top of the tree. The playing group is talented enough, the results in Super rugby suggest that we are competitive enough. What remains is to install a coach who can instill a new culture in the team of continuous improvement and a commitment to excellence. Nothing less is acceptable, because you know all of our rivals are doing it.

I think Link is that man and he needs to be appointed to the job this year, preferably before TRC starts or at least during the EOYT.

JJJ

Vay Wilson (31)
Forgetting his win/loss percentage, the most frustrating thing for me about having Deans for a coach has been the selections nobody else can see the point of. McCabe, Brown, McCalman, Alexander (at tighthead), Dennis, Mumm etc. I can't remember a single Deans team where there hasn't been at least one wtf selection or omission.

It's as if he's trying to pick a team using a moneyball strategy but the person supplying his all-important stats has no idea how to record the nuances of involvements. Put an unnecessary hand on the back of a player at an uncontested ruck while the halfback is having a look around? Ruck attended. Collapsed at the scrum or scooted backwards but 8 still somehow managed to retrieve the ball? Scrum won.

The Galah

Darby Loudon (17)
Funny how the English supporters seemed to regard themselves as the Lions and have the affrontery to invoke the chariot . I found the gracious Irish blokes next to me last night to be learned students of the game . It would have been a weak act not to stay to the end and congratulate them.

Turning to the coach - i'm getting to the point of who cares or anyone but Deans....I'm sick of slick post match press conferences , glib answers, players who fit the mould of being marketable pointy end of the plane travellers or future bankers - in short the corporatisation of our game for the benefit of a few. SUPPORT THE THIRD TIER AND CLUB RUGBY! Get that aspect right and our national coach, Deans, McKenzie or White will have grounded players playing for a Wallaby side of which we can be proud win lose or draw.

Status
Not open for further replies.