• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Cheetahs vs Reds. Round 10, Sun 19 April

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Yep really. I've been a Reds supporter for a bloody long time. I don't support them because they win and that's not all I'm in it for. I simply don't understand the mindset that winning is everything and it doesn't matter how you get a win. Most importantly, while that mindset may jag you the odd game, I think a team that adopts that philosophy will ultimately be mediocre at best. It's not a long term plan for success.
Don't get me wrong, I'm happy we won a game in SA, I'm happy we're not last on the ladder and I think the guys really put in but I'm not happy with how we went about our footy. But most importantly I'm not happy with why we had to play like that.

Scoey - surely you realise by now that, come Monday, it will be announced that Jake White was secretly appointed a few days ago as 'Coaching Consultant' to RG, and his first act in that role was to design the game plan to beat the Cheetahs?

Credit where credit is due, it was a great start, and the first step in a 'new brand strategy' for the Queensland Reds.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
What I did like was the reuniting of Horwill and Simmons. They have a bloody good combination. Both played well individually also. Holmes and Slipper are bloody awsome also. They prove that good scrum props don't have to be pot plants.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
The Reds for mine won that game through the endeavour and passion of their players, in spite of the game plan which was basically kick the shit out of it if it was anywhere within the Reds half. Forget about accurate kicking, or chase, or contest-ability of incidental things like that.

The one real highlight for the Reds IMO was the strength of the scrum. If they can do that against top sides consistently it would be wonderful for Australian Rugby, but the problem has been how inconsistent the Reds have been, along with the whole of the packs of the Australian conference.

The game plan as it has been all year is just woeful. The defence remains so porous the Larkham description remains apt. It relies totally on the heart and commitment of the individual players and that has largely been of top class. It is the greatest pity that those players are not being equipped with the tools to achieve the success that the talent and potential could achieve.

I like Scoey like the wins for my side, but of more import to me is how the game is played. Many here will recall that I was scathing of the games plans of Link, Hickey and Foley at the Tahs simple because the game plan it self was rubbish and the wins obscured for many the fact that the Rugby was dire and didn't make use of the skills of the players.

I certainly hope a few wins at the late end of the season do not do the same for the Reds and earn RG an undeserved reprieve.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I do agree Gnostic - but geez mate, it's been a tough season. At this point, and the fact that we dodged an eleventh hour bullet, I am just going to enjoy the rare victory. If RG gets a repreive on the back of last nights win then we were already stuffed.

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
Maybe the idea was to avoid giving ref a chance to ping them for kickable penalties.

Might not work out so great against the Hurricanes next weekend.

No that's not it, and the kicks are useless when no one chases or they don't find touch.

Canes are the last team you want to kick to at the moment.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
Scoey - surely you realise by now that, come Monday, it will be announced that Jake White was secretly appointed a few days ago as 'Coaching Consultant' to RG, and his first act in that role was to design the game plan to beat the Cheetahs dismiss RG?

There, that's better.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
The Reds for mine won that game through the endeavour and passion of their players, in spite of the game plan which was basically kick the shit out of it if it was anywhere within the Reds half. Forget about accurate kicking, or chase, or contest-ability of incidental things like that.

I'm torn regarding the game plan. Watching the first half I was so frustrated with the Reds kicking away good ball. And like you say it was executed very poorly. As the game development it appeared to be a sound strategy in that:-

1. our scrum and line-out were both dominant; and
2. our backline was static and had very little penetration.

Our best success with ball in hand came from the forwards, and we relied on the likes of Kerevi and JOC (James O'Connor) to make something out of nothing to get some line-breaks. I'm not sure we would have had any success running the ball from our own half.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
^^^^

If the gameplan is "hope the opposition don't play well so we win", then I don't think that is doing anything for the team at all.

The tactic was to obtain field position through lots of kicking and that is fine - but I would then prefer that our kicking and chasing was more meaningful and stronger defensive structures that are required to play that sort of game.

I don't really care what game plan we are choosing to play now to be honest - I just want to see us execute it well and with strong intent, and I am not entirely convinced that was what I saw in that game. Did we win, or the Cheetahs lose?

I still think it was a pretty odd strategy to play against a team that is noted for strong attack in broken play.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I'm torn regarding the game plan. Watching the first half I was so frustrated with the Reds kicking away good ball. And like you say it was executed very poorly. As the game development it appeared to be a sound strategy in that:-

1. our scrum and line-out were both dominant; and
2. our backline was static and had very little penetration.

Our best success with ball in hand came from the forwards, and we relied on the likes of Kerevi and JOC (James O'Connor) to make something out of nothing to get some line-breaks. I'm not sure we would have had any success running the ball from our own half.

I have no problem in a "conservative game plan that sees a team kick to the side lines if they have a dominant lineout. I have no issue with a side using kick and chase if they are dominant in the air and the kicks are contestable. The Reds plan was neither. Just look how many kicks found space and the line. How many were contestable, and indeed how many had an effective chase?

This was purely kick and defend, and the Reds defence has been average at best this year and last with a lot of holes on the wings. Against a better attacking, a Cheetahs side that didn't make so many un-charecteristic handling errors side they would have been cut to shreds. Indeed think about kicking that much ball to the Chiefs or the Canes with that sort of space.

Reactions: gel

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
I have no problem in a "conservative game plan that sees a team kick to the side lines if they have a dominant lineout. I have no issue with a side using kick and chase if they are dominant in the air and the kicks are contestable. The Reds plan was neither. Just look how many kicks found space and the line. How many were contestable, and indeed how many had an effective chase?

This was purely kick and defend, and the Reds defence has been average at best this year and last with a lot of holes on the wings. Against a better attacking, a Cheetahs side that didn't make so many un-charecteristic handling errors side they would have been cut to shreds. Indeed think about kicking that much ball to the Chiefs or the Canes with that sort of space.

Won't have long to wait. The Reds have got the Canes this week and they'll be as angry as hell after last weekend. Savea is not used to being schooled in wing play and will probably take it quite personally.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Unfortunately the chase on kicks has been horrible for the past two years and this has been extremely costly.

I was critical of the players here - a lack of a good chase shows poor attitude & laziness. But it has now gone on unchecked for so long. Like so many things at present, it makes me shake my head and wonder what the coaching staff are seeing when they watch the game. How can something so basic be allowed to continue at such a below par level.

Status
Not open for further replies.