• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Chiefs v Rebels Rd 9 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I think the Chiefs scored the points when they wanted but lacked urgency and was also tired from the SA trip. There is a greater gap between these two teams than the scoreline suggests.
Saying that the Chiefs don't look like 2 times champions at the moment.
You make it out like only the Chiefs had an off game, but the Rebels were just as poor, especially in the first 10 minutes, and the last 5. Granted, the Chiefs are missing a string of players. With 6 points in it, I would've thought the gap between the bottom ranked Aussie team, and top ranked Kiwi team would yield a better result for the home team.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Haven't read all the posts here yet, so apologise if this has been raised by others, but there was an incident I didn't understand happened in this game. Not sure of the Laws regarding replacements for players leaving the field for concussion tests.

In the second half the other lock for the Chiefs was replaced. Later, Retallick left the field for a concussion test, and the lock who had earlier been replaced came back on. Is this fair? and in accord with the Laws? In the event, Retallick failed the test and his replacement I think remained on the ground. Had Retallick left the field with a broken arm or some such injury, surely the player who had previously been replaced could not return to the field of play. Can anybody clarify?

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
I think that the concussion rules are the same as blood, that is, a previously subbed player can return.

Blood is 10 mins, concussion is 20 mins I think.

Unsure of what happens if the player is then unable to return, though. You'd think that once the players is ruled out, a valid sub must occur - that'd be a bit of common sense. But they may be unwilling to let teams risk forcing concussed players back.

Anyone got the new rule book handy?

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Found the blood rule, no mention of concussion but from what I heard it is the same.

http://www.irblaws.com/index.php?law=3

3.12 Substituted players rejoining the match

(a)
If a player is substituted, that player must not return and play in that match, even to replace an injured player.

Exception 1: a substituted player may replace a player with an open or
bleeding wound.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
That game was there for the taking and they dropped it. Please no more talk of Higgers as Wallaby captain. Why would you take a tap and not a scrum against six. When you take a scrum five out all the opposing teams flankers have to stay on to stop the pushover. So its basically one on one in the backline. Inman running at pace under those conditions is nigh on unstoppable.

Absolutely braindead decision.

He copped foul abuse from all watching at the pub. Chiefs were down a forward and were packing a replacement outside back at blindside. Not only was our backline one man up, but the Chiefs had just collapsed the previous scrum.

So stupid.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Sometimes Higgenbotham looks like a combination of a great leader, a creative outside back, and a Line bending backrower, both in tight and in the loose.

At other times, he's completely ineffective, in everything from his decisions, to his breakdown play, to his open play.

Last night wasn't the latter, but it was pretty damn close.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Interesting decision where the ref allowed the Rebels player to kick the ball out while lying on the ground wasn't it, I thought it was illegal to play the ball whilst of your feet. Not saying it was wrong, I maybe the one wrong, just I thought it was a strange decision.

199madmave

Ward Prentice (10)
Reid is still very much a work in progress. When he starts sorting out his breakdown accuracy and stops giving away penalties for fun, then he'll start seriously pushing for a regular spot.

I think Higgers might have the record for penalties/yellow card after the Chiefs game last Saturday!

Status
Not open for further replies.