• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Chiefs vs. Rebels - 2011R03

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)

Kick Off
Saturday 5th, 7.35 local, 5.35 AEST.

Weather
291m0zk.jpg

Referees:
Referee: Vinny Munro
Assistants: Shane McDermott, Garratt Williamson

Teams

Rebels:
1. Nic Henderson
2. Ged Robinson
3. Greg Somerville
4. Adam Byrnes
5. Kevin O'Neill
6. Jarrod Saffy
7. Michael Lipman
8. Gareth Delve
9. Nick Phipps
10. Danny Cipriani
11. Cooper Vuna
12. Julian Huxley
13. Stirling Mortlock [c]
14. Lachlan Mitchell
15. Mark Gerrard

16. Heath Tessmann
17. Laurie Weeks
18. Alister Campbell
19. Tom Chamberlain
20. Richard Kingi
21. Afusipa Taumoepeau
22. Peter Betham

Chiefs:
1. Ben May
2. Aled de Malmanche
3. Nathan White
4. Craig Clarke
5. Isaac Ross
6. Scott Waldrom
7. Tanerau Latimer
8. Liam Messam
9. Brendon Leonard
10. Stephen Donald
11. Sitiveni Sivivatu
12. Tana Umaga
13. Dwayne Sweeney
14. Lelia Masaga
15. Mils Muliaina [c]

16. Hika Elliot
17. Sona Taumalolo
18. Romana Graham
19. Steven Setephano
20. Taniela Moa
21. Mike Delany
22. Tim Nanai-Williams

The Chiefs will take this pretty easily, just a bit too much firepower out wide, even if they have been Brumbie-esque in their spectacular inability to convert opportunities into point. Forwards should be pretty even, can't see quite the same level of defensive heroics from the Rebels this week though.
Chiefs by 12+

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The Rebels don't have any kind of attack though...

Last week they just kicked the ball and capitalised on Brumbies' mistakes... the Brumbies also kicked too much which allowed the Rebels through Gerrard to simply punt the ball back upfield...

The Chiefs are looking pretty dire but they have the backline players to make the Rebels play through counter-attack...

This could go either way...

stoff

Bill McLean (32)
Will this be the first time the Rebels play in their away strip?

I believe so. They haven't worn it in the trials or the first two games.

I don't know how this one will go. I didn't expect a win last week, but the team showed some guts and determination and snuck away with one. The Chiefs have been pretty good at not getting there the last two weeks. Can enthusiasm coupled with what must be some very sore bodies be overcome by a team desperate to restore some sense of pride in themselves? If they keep the game plan of kicking in behind them, they better be very accurate this week.

In the weather forecast what do the two percentages mean - is it humidity and chance of rain?

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
It's chance of rain 1+mm then 10+mm. Probably should have put that in. So basically there's a pretty good chance it will rain, strong northerly winds predicted as well. The main problems I see are the Chiefs back three on the kick returns, and where the Rebels' points are going to come from.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
The Chiefs had an abominable home record last year. Let's hope that tendency to lose home gains prevails.

The biggest problem for the Rebels will be denying possession to the Tribe. The Chiefs backs are so explosive they need only 30% to win but IIRR the Rebels let the Brumbies have about 70%.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
It wasn't too far off that against the Tahs either. The Chiefs are due a win for mine. IF however, the Rebels somehow manage to pull it off, it will be absolutely massive. I'd expect a huge crowd in for the Sharks match.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Rebels team named, exactly the same as last week, except Luke Rooney dropped for Betham.

I want to see Betham and Kingi come off the bench in the last 15, Taumoepeau as well. That's when the Chiefs could really cut loose, so we'll have to try and match them.

HodgoBerro

Bill Watson (15)
I think Richard Kahui is due back this week.
depending on what time I get back from narrabeen on sat - I'll have a quiet one at the rugby club

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
I tipped Chiefs for this one, but it wont be by much, they lost all their home games last year, but i doubt rebs will be able to win.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
I hope he gets a game soon, he's a brilliant athlete. Doesn't seem to have much of a rugby brain though, made some really bad decisions in the trial matches.
Do the Academies or B teams maybe play games to keep this close to team 22 players in match shape?

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Rebels really need to take it the Chiefs pack which is the worst in comp by far. Their tight 5 is a joke.

stoff

Bill McLean (32)
Do the Academies or B teams maybe play games to keep this close to team 22 players in match shape?

The Rebels B team, Rebel Rising, have 5 games scheduled this year according to the Rebels website, of which they have played two already, against Brumby Runners and Aust Barbarians. Not sure what or when the other matches are.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Rebels really need to take it the Chiefs pack which is the worst in comp by far. Their tight 5 is a joke.

Kind of agree. Melbourne's best chance is to frustrate the crap out of the Chiefs through the forwards. They stand a good chance of putting the score up in lots of three as the Chiefs tend to let disipline slip. The catch is the Rebels set piece hasn't been much better. With a win under their belt the Rebels will be full of condidence and as the weeks go by those combinations will get stronger. The tight structured game they have played will be one the Chiefs will have trouble with me thinks.

Status
Not open for further replies.