• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Cipriani Nightclub Investigation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Hmmmm...

Let's just say that there is this man named... uhhh... Rocky Naxon, and an underage girl (who does not exist) has vision of this mythical person in a hotel room in his underwear that she's caught with her little spycam... and while he's out of the room she's filming herself going through his belongings...

And did I mention that there was some kind of white sherbert or whizz fizz floating around?

Stands

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Its 4am after he's just played in a team that's had an absolute shellacking. He should be tired, depressed about his performance and every muscle in his body should be aching. So why, please tell me, is he in a nightclub filling up on vodka. Every time I have been in heavy training and my muscles are screaming and I have then had a glass or two (no more) of wine it makes me feel like absolute shit! I cannot imagine how bad it would feel 3/4 pissed.

If you drank the Vodka instead of two glasses of wine you would feel much better!

Vodka with adrenaline is a great mix, no problems staying up after 4:00am!

O

OrangePeeler

Just to follow on from the Cam Shep incident not getting much 'air time.' A life time ago I worked in a pub in Coogee where a Wallaby (now retired) often spent a night with his mates drinking. This was never a problem, he seemed like a good guy and I was a big fan, but around 1-2am in the morning he would turn into a prick. A real prick. He'd constantly hit on the same girls behind the bar, order five JD and cokes tell us to put it on the managers tab then walk off. that type of shit. He was asked to leave on several occasions and that was that, no real problems besides spending 20min trying to get the money out of him or the JDs off him.

I always thought it strange that he was never pulled aside by anyone in the ARU or the Super 12 side he played for. Because everyone in the pub (besides the Dutch backpackers) knew who he was and you'd have to assume he did the same or similar things at other pubs. Surely it had to damage his and his teams reputation? I know I didn't think much of him after that.

Then again maybe because it never made the papers it was never a 'problem.'

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Pfft - Melbourne - home of Brendan Fevola, Shane Warne, Sam Newman and half the population of Boganville.

Can we just all leave the gross generalisations of location behind for a while please?

I think the discussion is:
1) the suitability of a professional athlete being on the turps at 4am after a game
2) how bad / not notable is this indiscretion, really?

stoff

Bill McLean (32)
Rebels rugby star Danny Cipriani caught in bar row

* Fiona Byrne
* February 24, 2011 12:00AM

HIGH-profile Rebels rugby recruit Danny Cipriani allegedly helped himself to a bottle of alcohol in a nightclub just hours after his team was thrashed 43-0 in its debut match.

Cipriani, who is known for his playboy lifestyle and string of celebrity girlfriends, was asked to leave hip Chapel St nightspot 161 about 4am on Saturday, according to the bar.

Management said the 23-year-old was spoken to by security about "inappropriate behaviour" and told to leave the venue.

Cipriani, a gifted British rugby star who has represented England, moved to Melbourne last year to play for the Rebels and has quickly grown attached to Chapel St's bar and nightclub strip, setting up home in the area.

In footage seen by the Herald Sun, a man who appears to be Cipriani leans across the bar about 3.45am and swipes a bottle of spirits.

Venue staff follow the man, as he moves with the bottle jammed between his legs, to the other end of the bar and retrieve the item.
The nightclub said Cipriani was spoken to by security and told to leave. Police were not told about the incident. There is no suggestion Cipriani was drunk.

Cipriani could not be contacted yesterday, but Melbourne Rebels said they would look into the matter.

"I have only just been made aware of the claims, but I will investigate these allegations thoroughly and make further comment once all the facts have been established," CEO Ross Oakley said.

And none of the other reports have suggested this either. Bottle stealing aside, a few more facts need to be established before everyone gets on their high horse about him being out boozing after a big loss.

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)
And none of the other reports have suggested this either. Bottle stealing aside, a few more facts need to be established before everyone gets on their high horse about him being out boozing after a big loss.

He's in a bar at 4am, stealing booze from behind the bar.

Is there anybody, literally anybody out there who is stupidly naive enough to think he wasn't pissed?

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
"In footage seen by the Herald Sun, a man who appears to be Cipriani leans across the bar about 3.45am and swipes a bottle of spirits.

"Venue staff follow the man, as he moves with the bottle jammed between his legs, to the other end of the bar and retrieve the item.
The nightclub said Cipriani was spoken to by security and told to leave. Police were not told about the incident. There is no suggestion Cipriani was drunk."

I'm with Stoff on this. The most plausible explanation, given that Mr Cipriani is a dedicated and mature professional athlete, is that he was drinking mineral water, soda water or some such for about five hours. What a lot of those who have rushed to judgement may not know is that it is well known in English rugby circles - and even more so in English night club circles - that he is afflicted with somnambulism.

So the obvious scenario is that around 4am he arises from the lounge where he is sitting, eyes wide open but sound asleep, and walks to the bar, reaches across it, picks up a bottle of spirits at random, wedges it between his legs - as you do - and is waddling rather awkwardly back to his seat when he is aroused from his slumber by the security staff.

Now, I ask you, are those the actions of a man who is drunk? Case closed. Apologies should be forthcoming.

stoff

Bill McLean (32)
Fair call. May not have thought that through. Should have finished with the possibility that he is just a bit of a prat.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)

Does that make it worse if he was sober?? He's just a plain thief then...lol

FiveStarStu

Bill McLean (32)
If the police were not called, it is a non event and a heap of hear say.

Pretty much this. Don't think Cipriani is 'don't call the cops' famous yet in Melbourne.

He'll be fined by the team for being out at 4am, case closed.

D

daz

Pretty much this. Don't think Cipriani is 'don't call the cops' famous yet in Melbourne.

He'll be fined by the team for being out at 4am, case closed.

Until the next case. And the case after that. The man is a walking magnet for trouble, not because he does anything paticularly bad, but because he allows himself to be in situations where it will get noticed.

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
A week is a long time in rugby...who cares about this anymore seriously?!

Cipriani and the Rebels as a whole have performed quite a massive turn around in the past week. This is what will gain respect from the sporting public.

Status
Not open for further replies.