• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Clan v Waratahs 22/05/22 at Forsyth Barr

Status
Not open for further replies.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
stuff.co.nz reports that Gilbert's tip tackle has been deemed Mid-range by the judiciary. Entry point is 10 weeks so even with a clean record (which he has) & an early guilty plea he's looking at five weeks, or four if he goes to tackle school. Either way he's gone for the season which seems reasonable.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
A spear tackle rather than just dropping them on their head.
Fairly silly to differentiate the two. Biomechanics experts would have a tough time proving the vectors of force with either are substantially different enough to mitigate any risk. Landing predominantly on your shoulder with just enough distraction to the head can cause a brachial plexus injury, which is disastrous.
If the tackle puts a player onto head or neck, it should be high-end of the scale. End of.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
If the tackle puts a player onto head or neck, it should be high-end of the scale. End of.

By spear tackle I mean the ones where the tackler continues to hold the player and drives them into the ground with force.

You pretty much never see them anymore. They used to happen more in rugby league. I can't find a video of one I'm thinking of that ended Jarrod McCracken's career (tackle by Stephen Kearney).

You're probably right though that those can be dealt with by the + bit at the end of the high range suspensions for extreme events warranting a specific punishment.

todd4

Jim Clark (26)

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Hopefully Afterdavid will be reduced to playing at 1st 5 at Eden Park in place of the suspended bongobrained Sam Gilbert.
80bb58cd-07e3-4876-a06c-e60851997845_zps85f8e163.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.