• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Coaching Options for Qld Rugby

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
I'm now expecting him to serve out his contract (they'll have to pay him anyway, and it's only a few more months) but bring in another coach as part of a 'succession plan' or some crap. Whatever it's called, you can be sure the press release will contain so many convoluted weasel words it'll sound like it was written by Robbie Deans himself.

We'll all know that RG has been (for all intents and purposes) turfed, but face will be saved, contracts will not need paying out, and we can buy more time for the next guy - after all, he 'won't have been able to choose his own recruits, so really he should be given another year or so of poor performance before he becomes accountable'. Or something.

I am of the view that keeping this deeply flawed coach until end-June is not the simple planning act of a tolerable, low-damage exit path some think or argue for.

Why?

- good Reds' players confidence in their skills and capacity for success is clearly, very clearly, being slowly eroded as appalling, skill-less game losses pour upon each other. The longer that continues, the harder the road back will surely be;

- the above is doubly deplorable and super-high risk in a RWC year where Australia badly needs every possible elite player full of confidence and with their skills enhanced throughout 2015, not degraded as is the case with many fine Reds today;

- given the deterioration of morale within the team and the lingering uncertainty re RG's tenure and who will arrive next (another 'board favourite'?) some good Reds players will surely be deciding to explore other franchise options locally or overseas;

- crowd levels are starting to badly fall away from recent years' levels as fan anger and disillusionment is now rapidly building and no one buys the excuses. Last game saw crowd numbers lower than gross membership numbers and this quite likely presages bad things for 2016's membership uptake and later 2015 non-member gate income both of which are crucial to the QRU's finances and viability to invest in the code in QLD.

I could go on, but is that not enough reason to appoint a 2015 Reds caretaker coach immediately?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I am of the view that keeping this deeply flawed coach until end-June is not the simple planning act of a tolerable, low-damage exit path some think or argue for.

I could go on, but is that not enough reason to appoint a 2015 Reds caretaker coach immediately?

cost and availability probably another factor in the consideration to keep him.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
What are the chances of a Reds Player coup a la Les Frogge at RWC11?
They nearly won RWC in 2011 in spite of their coach, and still look to be coachless.

Keep the coach on, just ignore him on gameday.

The players are not stupid. Nearly all have been exposed to top level game plans, skills, strategy, tactics, starter plays and structures throughout their careers at age group and representative levels.

The Reds roster is pretty sound when stacked up against most other Super Rugby Teams. Injuries happen as part and parcel of a contact sport, but the Team Rehab selectors have been particularly successful against this years Red Machine.

Some blame for the poor performance by the Reds has to be sheeted home to the players.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
cost and availability probably another factor in the consideration to keep him.

RR, get that. But I am arguing as you know for a broader definition of 'total cost of RG retention' that takes a/c of the other harder-to-measure-but-nonetheless-real costs that are accruing every day the Reds go on as they are.

Disagree by all means, but IMO a seasoned stalwart like John Connolly or Stiles or one the more experienced Premier Grade coaches would be more than adequate caretakers for the rest of the season, and they'd act as a welcome pressure and damage relief valve for all our payers and fans.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Thanks, I would disagree by all means.

I in know way think that Knuckles would be suitable. Hasn't coached for, what, 7 years?

And no, no way is a Premier Grade coach suitable. Perhaps Hedger, but not for his premier grade experience. Plus I suspect he's getting more at Bond Uni.

Stiles is the only candidate from that lot. Big ask for him. It would mean Meehan standing up big time.

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)

I'm surprised you missed the cynical tone to my post - it's a terrible idea, but it's what we'll end up with anyway. I predict an awful lot of a lot of work will be needed to restore public faith and player confidence once this is all over.

Teh Other Dave

Alan Cameron (40)
Mate, for mine, the rot started when we got rid of Knuckles, and it only got worse when we canned McBain after he took us to the finals on the smell of an oily rag.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
And Knuckles is a lot like Dwyer for me, a bit out of touch with the modern game. Well, Knuckles more so than Dwyer I'd say.

Knuckles may not also be the best choice as he's a huge fan of mind games, which I don't think the Reds need right now.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Connolly sued the ARU. He's not exactly well liked in the corridors of power.

His card has been marked never to be picked again.

T

TOCC

Disagree by all means, but IMO a seasoned stalwart like John Connolly or Stiles or one the more experienced Premier Grade coaches would be more than adequate caretakers for the rest of the season, and they'd act as a welcome pressure and damage relief valve for all our payers and fans.

I disagree, I'm not sure what Premier Grade coach has the credentials to step straight up into Super Rugby. I don't think handing the reigns to someone who is ill qualified to a run a rugby team with a $multi-million budget is the answer, it could potentially just be as damaging on his career if he can't change the fortunes and the team get worse.

Nic Stiles is probably the best qualified in Queensland but who says that he even wants the team under the current circumstances. Again, does he want to take the team on mid-season, it could potentially damage his future coaching aspirations if he is unable to turn the teams fortunes around or the results get worse.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Connolly sued the ARU. He's not exactly well liked in the corridors of power.

His card has been marked never to be picked again.

I know many in the QRU system and beyond in QLD rugby who genuinely hold Knuckles in high esteem.

And having commenced litigation vs or via the actions or statements of J O'N would I feel sure endear Knuckles to many.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
I know many in the QRU system and beyond in QLD rugby who genuinely hold Knuckles in high esteem.

And having commenced litigation vs or via the actions or statements of J O'N would I feel sure endear Knuckles to many.
I agree with your points but the guys making this decision are not amongst them......

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
I disagree, I'm not sure what Premier Grade coach has the credentials to step straight up into Super Rugby. I don't think handing the reigns to someone who is ill qualified to a run a rugby team with a $multi-million budget is the answer, it could potentially just be as damaging on his career if he can't change the fortunes and the team get worse.

Nic Stiles is probably the best qualified in Queensland but who says that he even wants the team under the current circumstances. Again, does he want to take the team on mid-season, it could potentially damage his future coaching aspirations if he is unable to turn the teams fortunes around or the results get worse.

You may be right, but let's remember:

- the 'caretaker period' would be (assumed) April-June only

- there are plenty within the QRU that could aid that caretaker from Prem Grade in terms of budgets, player contract issues, etc for the 3 months

- the job would not be to win the S15 Final - that opportunity has long gone - but to restore player and team morale, get some semblance of game plan and structure going along with some revived evidence of a 'Reds style of rugby', and aid individual players in skills support, reassure anxious or disillusioned players re staying with the Reds, etc

- Just for example, UQ strikes me as having some capable senior coaches who know how to meld rugby players into a positive team capability

- the likes of M Cheika went from Randwick to Leinster in 2005, and very successfully so, so it's by no means a golden rule that such an upwards transition is simply beyond Prem Grade coaches

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Knuckles is too old for our players, I think we may need to look at more recently retired heroes of our current team.

This might be why Larkham is getting success at the Brumbies.

Link was still old for our players but adjusted to using twitter with the younger guys, Link was very active online with the guys.

It is a new age that those of us over 35 just do not comprehend, unfortunately the board is possibly too old to comprehend as well

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Thanks, I would disagree by all means.

I in know way think that Knuckles would be suitable. Hasn't coached for, what, 7 years?

And no, no way is a Premier Grade coach suitable. Perhaps Hedger, but not for his premier grade experience. Plus I suspect he's getting more at Bond Uni.

Stiles is the only candidate from that lot. Big ask for him. It would mean Meehan standing up big time.

Surely Meehan would/should be dismissed with RG mid-term, in this scenario. There is not a scintilla of evidence that he is competent backs/attack coach, unless perhaps he could convince someone knowledgeable within the QRU that the enduring Reds attack debacles are all down to RG's overriding of his better ideas and practices.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
That's part of the difficulty of going the caretaker route, if he stays he might just be dead weight but if he goes that's 2/3's of the coaching staff gone mid season.

Status
Not open for further replies.