• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Coaching Options for Qld Rugby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sandpit Fan

Nev Cottrell (35)
I haven't seen it mentioned here but an article in the Australian last week said two Qld sons coaching overseas had already put their hands up for next season.

I'm just guessing but my immediate thoughts were Brian Smith at London Irish and Matt Taylor with Scotland.

Either of those guys would be a good starting point. Matt Taylor would be my preference.

Brendan Hume

Charlie Fox (21)
He's obviously got a few fans. What's his story?

This is the assistant coach for Scotland right?
Taylor was the Defence coach with McKenzie. Really astute guy. I couldn't say how he'd go as a head coach but he was all over the defence when he was here and he's done a great job with Cotter at Scotland with players who are outclassed against most in the 6N.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brendan Hume

Charlie Fox (21)
I think too much credit is given to the QRU for the success of the Reds over that period. I think most of that success came from a culture that was created by McKenzie and the coaching and analysis group. The QRU did a great job at capitalising on the success of the Reds, pushing memberships and getting people behind the team, but it wasn't too hard a sell when you had blokes like Cooper, Ioane, Genia, Samo, Horwill, Robbo, and the Fainga'a twins killing it on and off the paddock. Success breeds success, but you need to be sustainable if it's not coming through on the pitch - a successful culture can help to achieve that. McKenzie was often heard saying that the Reds had one of the lowest salaries of any of the Aussie Super Rugby teams, and that the rugby program and culture was the main selling point. Two years isn't a long time to see that fall apart, but the positive thing is that with the right person it could be turned around in the same period of time without losing the new fans the recent success bought to the team.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
They were responsible for the Reds turning into the most financial of the Super Rugby sides from being bailed out by the ARU. Tahs have won the title and don't have anywhere near the memberships the Reds have gotten and been ok at maintaining. Off the field they are still probably the envy of these sides.

So they may or may not have had much to do with the on field success but they should still get a lot of credit. The RG apprenticeship/takeover being the only real blight of much concern. They can fix that.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Bringing back either or both of Taylor and McKay certainly looks like a good option, but I also wouldn't mind seeing Tim Lane in the frame. He has a decent history of success at multiple sides and likes his sides to play a positive brand of rugby. He may well be in the mix for the tahs job though. I wonder if Laurie Fisher could be lured back to Aus.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Why would you sack the same people who turned the Reds from a team posting $million losses and on the verge of bankruptcy to one of the most commercially successful union or league teams in Australia.

These people who recruited RG are also the same people who were in power when they recruited Link..
As sahara the current board isn't the one which oversaw the amazing improvement in business performance. In any event it doesn't matter what the past results were if current results and the indicated tend is all down. By all means keep them on and ride the roller-coaster back down the other side.

T

TOCC

You hearing something? You're usually on the mark. Anything you can say?
I heard something earlier however it is nothing more then speculative 3rd person information which I'm unwilling to spread.. Sorry for the teaser ;)

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
One assumes that it's a matter of when, rather than if, for RG and his coaching team.

Or as one far greater than me once wrote:
If it were done when 'tis done, then 'twere well
It were done quickly;)

T

TOCC

As sahara the current board isn't the one which oversaw the amazing improvement in business performance. In any event it doesn't matter what the past results were if current results and the indicated tend is all down. By all means keep them on and ride the roller-coaster back down the other side.

So your advocating that Carmichael and McCall be sacked? when they took over the QRU the organisation was in debt and relying on handouts from the ARU to fund daily operating costs, these men were in fact we're the men who lead the turnaround of the Reds commercial fortunes..

The QRU is still the benchmark for commercial operations in Australian rugby union, you can fix the coaching without having to sack the entire board and chairman.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Bringing back either or both of Taylor and McKay certainly looks like a good option, but I also wouldn't mind seeing Tim Lane in the frame. He has a decent history of success at multiple sides and likes his sides to play a positive brand of rugby. He may well be in the mix for the tahs job though. I wonder if Laurie Fisher could be lured back to Aus.

Tim Lane is in France on big bucks - might take big bucks to get him back. I actually can't believe that he couldn't get a super rugby coaching gig ahead of RG, Foley, and probably Totality Tony as well.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
So your advocating that Carmichael and McCall be sacked? when they took over the QRU the organisation was in debt and relying on handouts from the ARU to fund daily operating costs, these men were in fact we're the men who lead the turnaround of the Reds commercial fortunes..

The QRU is still the benchmark for commercial operations in Australian rugby union, you can fix the coaching without having to sack the entire board and chairman.

Completely agree...........

However, the question has to be asked as to why Graham was hired in the first place despite his poor coaching record?

Was he simply the highest profile coach they could afford to work under Link?

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Tim Lane is in France on big bucks - might take big bucks to get him back. I actually can't believe that he couldn't get a super rugby coaching gig ahead of RG, Foley, and probably Totality Tony as well.

Apparently he was likely to get the Tahs job when they weren't sure they could get Chieka, which is what makes me think they'll be looking at him now. Whether or not money is an issue will depend more on what he wants going forward, though the reds don't lack for it and could at least offer him as much, if not more than, any other super rugby side. I think the biggest issue will be how committed he might be to the work he's doing at Lyon, he seems like the sort of guy who likes to see things through, which is a big part of what I like about him.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Completely agree.....

However, the question has to be asked as to why Graham was hired in the first place despite his poor coaching record?

Was he simply the highest profile coach they could afford to work under Link?

Rumour goes that it was cronyism (or nepotism, the way that word is used these days).

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
What has McKay been doing since he lost his job for the Wallabies?

And what Australian coaches are currently in Japan and elsewhere?

I assume Brian Smith and Tattsy Taylor are the most likely coaches from Europe.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)

I'm not advocating anything, but I don't have a closed mind to assessing the current status of functioning. It is arguable if the current board and CEO had as much to do with the turnaround as the previous one did, but that aside as I said regardless of their past performance, serious questions have to be asked about the processes that saw Graham hired. I mean any review of his experience and results in those posts hardly qualifies him for the assistants position.

So if such enquiries do indeed show that the board and CEO have been neglectful in the duties in this regard they should show cause why they should remain.

I should also make the point that throughout my multiple lives in different fields I have found people (including myself) who are skilled are certain aspects of management, I'll call them system builders, system fixers and systems managers. Some few have cross over skills but many (including me) do not. It may well be the case that we have some builders/fixers not suited to management and this led to Graham.

Status
Not open for further replies.