• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Coaching Options for Qld Rugby

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

It is arguable if the current board and CEO had as much to do with the turnaround as the previous one did, .

No I'm sorry but that's not arguable at all and if you think it is then you have a short memory.. Carmichael and McCall took over an organisation in 2009 which was an absolutely disgrace at all levels, they were the ones who turned the commercial fortunes of the organisation around..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
No I'm sorry but that's not arguable at all and if you think it is then you have a short memory.. Carmichael and McCall took over an organisation in 2009 which was an absolutely disgrace at all levels, they were the ones who turned the commercial fortunes of the organisation around..

Seems like a good CV option. Claim that exiting an organisation was pivotal in leading it to new heights.

T

TOCC

Peter Lewis's resume reads:

I was chairman of an organisation during a period between 2006 and 2009 which saw its annual revenue decrease 10% and post a total operating losses of $13million. Further, during my tenor as chairman of the QRU I'm proud to announce that player numbers in the state of Queensland dropped from 44'000 to 42'000.

Jim Carmichael and Rod McCall should be sending him a thank you letter, they were able to inherit an organisation which was on the verge of bankruptcy, the only way was up.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Peter Lewis's resume reads:

I was chairman of an organisation during a period between 2006 and 2009 which saw its annual revenue decrease 10% and post a total operating losses of $13million. Further, during my tenor as chairman of the QRU I'm proud to announce that player numbers in the state of Queensland dropped from 44'000 to 42'000.

Jim Carmichael and Rod McCall should be sending him a thank you letter, they were able to inherit an organisation which was on the verge of bankruptcy, the only way was up.

Without residing over this precipitous time that paved the way for management to be able to make decisive and fundamental changes to the organisation, it was unlikely that the decisions that needed to be made would have been accepted.

Without this brilliant facilitation for change, the Reds would have never been able to implement the structures that brought about a Super Rugby title in 2011.

Whilst the statue celebrating my image outside Lang Park is still in early planning phases (or so I'd assume), it is inevitable that one day, Queensland Rugby Union will reflect on my leadership and direction that have put the organisation on a pathway to the pinnacle of the sport.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
I think I like @TOCC's perspective the best. A two stage problem - first an immediate replacement for the remainder of the season whilst looking for a long term replacement (with their assistants) for the preseason and next season onwards.

I recall reading somewhere that Brian Smith had returned to Australia after an early exit from London Irish so he might be a good candidate for the long term replacement from preseason onwards. I also like the idea of Taylor.

In the short term - I really don't know. It is unlikley that our season will turn around overnight with a new coach, but it needs to be addressed immediately to start the healing process.

It is also unbelievably important to australian rugby that the reds players in the frame for wallaby selection are coached properly for the rest of this season. Having so many players ruined does not help our world cup chances - even if they werent going to be picked, they should be pushing those that are going to be picked and that is not happening at the moment.

In that case I don't really mind if it is one of the older guys that come out of retirement to do the short term thing from a wallabies perspective. One of the older wallaby coaches who want to help out again (even one of the ones who really hate queenslanders will do - maybe he won't let QC (Quade Cooper) and Will Genia get away with so many forward passes at training or whatever :p ).

Eggsie

Stan Wickham (3)
What we need is a coach who can take a young, largely inexperienced squad who are losing by cricket margins and turn them into a team of exciting ball players who still lose , but by closer margins and whose endeavour starts to bring the fans back. Then we can hand the reigns over to , say, an ex wallaby front rower and a strong defensive coach who can add structure and a solid defence. Or has this been done before ?

More poorly thought out irrelevant noise Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Reds to conduct immediate review of the high-performance wing.. This encompasses coaches and support staff..

well two of their support staff leave in a few weeks anyway, so it was probably needed regardless of results.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
I wonder how much more Link could get if he was available? Double? Triple??

I wonder if we need to look at a different style coach than we are used to in Australia, with the conference system we need something that will dominate against the other Aussie sides.

I would look hard at Argentina or South Africa for coaches. Both can teach us how to dominate in the forwards and the added bonus is the ability for them to help recruit either talented locals ready to play at S15 level or perhaps some 17-18 year old kids that are almost there (or not getting a shot due to quotas).

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
well two of their support staff leave in a few weeks anyway, so it was probably needed regardless of results.

Well, my eye was drawn to the fact that Carmichael refers to 'the overhaul' looking at potential issues with the Assistant coaches, e.g. in defence and set-piece etc. Markedly, there is no mention of head coach review. And it's not quite clear what the overhaul means in precise terms. Everyone knows that the Reds S&C staff have had some kind of blue with RG (as you mention above, only in that they're leaving, or have been asked to leave, all of which is 'unfortunate' mid-season, to say the least).

I quote below most of the article in today's The Australian re 'the Reds high-performance unit overhaul'. The predominant mention of the assistants much reminds me of the infamous 'independent and transparent review that we'll release to the public' that JO'N offered up in an anxious state immediately after the Deans-led RWC 2011 debacle. That ended up with: Deans unscathed and uncriticised, the assistants dismissed and new ones appointed (chosen by Nucifora), the review was all done by ex-Wallabies on the ARU board involved with Deans' 2011 contract extension, and the report was never published in any form. Robust rugby analysis, done the Australian way.

Queensland Reds boss Jim Carmichael announces overhaul
THE AUSTRALIAN MARCH 09, 2015 12:00AM

Wayne Smith

Defeats prompt overhaul by QRU

QUEENSLAND Reds boss Jim Carmichael announced yesterday a far-reaching overhaul of the franchise’s high-performance department in the wake of Saturday’s humiliating performance against the Waratahs, but he gave no hint head coach Richard Graham’s job was in immediate jeopardy.

There is not a voice to be heard in Queensland rugby in support of Graham following the 23-5 interstate defeat. After five straight interstate wins under Ewen McKenzie, the Reds under Graham have lost the past three to the Tahs, by an aggregate of 89-13, 10 tries to two.

Yet as galling as the defeats have been to Reds supporters — still the largest spectator base in Australian rugby despite the team taking up the same position in which they finished last season, 13th — what is most concerning is that there is not a single element of Queensland’s game that appears to be functioning.

It’s not just the ensemble elements, the scrum, lineout, ruck and driving maul, that aren’t working. Even the most basic of individual skills, catching, passing, running lines, support play and body height appear to be breaking down.

There is no discernible pattern to the Reds’ game, mainly because they lack the ability and composure to retain possession beyond four phases. The season is only four matches old yet already they have turned in two performances, against the Tahs and, earlier, against the Brumbies, that seriously call into question whether they are genuinely of Super Rugby standard.

The only glimmer of hope for a Red Army now being ravaged by desertions is that help is on the way. Quade Cooper (100 Super Rugby caps), Greg Holmes (119), James Horwill (103), Rob Simmons (81), Beau Robinson (74), Ed O’Donoghue (47) and Ed Quirk (39) all are expected to return following the round-six bye for the match against the Lions on March 27, with Karmichael Hunt coming off suspension the following week.

Unspotted amid the carnage was that Reds recruit, NZ-born Japanese Test player Hendrick Tui arrived unannounced in Brisbane on Saturday, still recovering from the broken fibula he sustained in the All-Japan Championship, and made his way to the game. Like Queensland’s other foreign recruit, All Black flanker Adam Thomson, he must have wondered just what he had signed up for.

Carmichael was adamant solutions would be found. “We have a high-performance department that is well-resourced but we have to look across it at all levels. Are we getting enough out of our defence coaches, out of our set-piece coaches?,” he said.

“We are measured in how we approach these things. We have to come up with the right answer. Baying for blood won’t help. But we’re not stubborn for the sake of being stubborn. If we convince ourselves that we’ve got it wrong, we’ll act.”

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
In 1998 he took on the job of an assistant coach for the Wallabies, coaching the back-line during which time the team won the Bledisloe Cup andTri- Nations and the 1999 Rugby World Cup in Wales. In 2000 he took over coaching at Clermont Ferrand in France where he took the club to the final in his first season.
I'm not sure that answers my question.
I have no doubt he is a good backs coach.
Clermont was in 2 finals immediately preceding his arrival,and were a basket case for four years after his departure(forced).
Where has he taken a struggling side and made them contenders?
Which is the task at hand with the Reds.

Status
Not open for further replies.