• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Coaching Options for Qld Rugby

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
don't be confused by the sub-editor's wording. It's the media calling it an 'overhaul'. Read JC's quotes in the article and he says they are having a look at the high performance dept. It will be a review, with hopefully some action, but I just want to make sure you manage your expectations.

I haven't seen the QRU refer to it as a 'overhaul' just yet.

Thanks RR. OK, 'a review' and 'having a look at' the HPD. There is an interesting vagueness of intent and scope there, but let's all hope for the best from this process, whatever it is.

Btw: I have only seen any mention of this via W Smith's one article as quoted above. There is no official QRU announcement as yet re the review, at least that I can see.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
he's kinda tied up to the Gold Coast Titans.

But if you mean Sir Graham Henry..then colour me pickled by that idea!

My mistake. Yes Sir Graham Henry.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
“We are measured in how we approach these things. We have to come up with the right answer. Baying for blood won’t help. But we’re not stubborn for the sake of being stubborn. If we convince ourselves that we’ve got it wrong, we’ll act.”

Convince ourselves? Fat chance.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Lets be clear the Ollie and Nathan haven't just quit. They put their notice in some time ago. Nathan resigned before the season started and after eight years wants to spend some time with the family.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Biggest challenge for the Reds is that the Tahs are also looking for a head coach. I know where the preference would be at the moment.

Bizarre to see how quickly that has flipped.

It also highlights how quickly it could flip again with the right/wrong selection

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Why would a coach prefer to go to the Tahs?? The Reds have the bigger membership base. They've both won super titles. Both have quality squads. The Reds brand is just as strong (the member base would suggest even stronger). They might prefer the challenge of taking over a team that's underperforming, rather than riding on Cheika's coat-tails.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I do wonder what Link saw in RG to bring him across

But the Reds ad lib style looked best with a solid disciplinarian in like Link running the show

The need someone to enforce effort and structure into their play

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Why would a coach prefer to go to the Tahs?? The Reds have the bigger membership base. They've both won super titles. Both have quality squads. The Reds brand is just as strong (the member base would suggest even stronger). They might prefer the challenge of taking over a team that's underperforming, rather than riding on Cheika's coat-tails.

One gets to live in Sydney, the other Brisvegas

Simples

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
I would be happy for Robbie Deans to be coach at this stage. He seemed to get along with JOC (James O'Connor) and cooper won't be at the Reds next year. :)

Jokes aside, was given his book by some kiwi mates as a joke. Actually a good read and a insight to rugby coaching here and across the Dutch

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)

But the Reds ad lib style looked best with a solid disciplinarian in like Link running the show

That FP remains both a very salient question, and something of a mystery (as it's always been). It surely could not have been a proven track record, or such like.

I think it's worth quoting a media article announcing RG's joining the Reds from April 2012 (the highlighting is mine). It makes interesting remembering coupled with a very unsettling 'then vs now' comparison. It also confirms that Link was heavily involved with the selection of RG, and I note this as some posters put that call solely with Carmichael and McCall.

Richard Graham's appointment set to keep Reds a Super Rugby force when Ewen McKenzie departs

Jim Tucker
news.com.au APRIL 17, 2012

RICHARD Graham's shock appointment as Reds coach for next year is a carefully planned strategy which can sustain the success of Queensland rugby when Ewen McKenzie is headhunted for the Wallabies' top job.
McKenzie will still be heavily involved in the day-to-day running of the Reds' next season in a new, over-arching role as director of coaching when he helps Graham guide the side.
It is McKenzie who has helped hand-pick his own successor which makes the shock waves even greater in Perth, where Graham was viewed as a long-term boss to extend his two seasons in charge of Western Force.
Queensland Rugby has lured Graham home to the state where he played for the Reds by offering him the most prized Super Rugby coaching job in the country and a champion team.
"I will still be overseeing the rugby department. We're just moving towards a more European-style model," said McKenzie, who coached French club Stade Francais before leading the Reds in 2010.
"Richard coming to the Reds is a chance for me to grow as a professional person.
"I've been an assistant, a head coach and now I have the chance to progress to being a director of coaching in 2013.
"It will be a transition to a director of rugby at the state governing body in 2014 and beyond, while ensuring we have the best rugby coach at the Reds in Richard for many years to come."

Queensland Rugby chief executive Jim Carmichael made no mention of McKenzie's almost certain future as a Wallabies coach for 2014 or 2016 when announcing the surprise, new coaching structure.
The unspoken theme is that the Reds do not want to be caught with their pants down without a top coach and risking their stellar revival when McKenzie is sought to coach the Wallabies post-Robbie Deans.
Footy clubs endlessly talk of succession plans for players, administrators and coaches yet rarely take charge of their own future, which was the damning scar on Queensland rugby for a decade before McKenzie's arrival.
The Reds are actually taking charge of their own destiny rather than reacting when it is too late.
In January, McKenzie recommitted to the Reds for an extra season to include 2014.
McKenzie will focus more fully on vital recruitment-and-retention next year as well as feeding Graham information so the Reds build on what they have, rather than start from zero again as with unplanned coaching changes.

"To be honest, we didn't want another rugby technician.
"We wanted a likeminded coach who understands the totality of rugby and where we are trying to take this business," McKenzie said of Graham.
Queensland Rugby chairman Rod McCall is convinced McKenzie will get his shot at the Wallabies but is equally certain the longer he is involved with Queensland rugby the better.
"He is one of the pillars to fix it for good so it's strong for the next 20 years," McCall said.

Sandpit Fan

Nev Cottrell (35)

While the rehash of the presser by RH above makes it sound like Link was all in favour, you'd wonder what reality was. RG is at the Reds because he's Chris Whites client/mate/whatever.

And going by one of Reg's tweets today about him not returning under current management, it sounds like RG was forced on him.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
While the rehash of the presser by RH above makes it sound like Link was all in favour, you'd wonder what reality was. RG is at the Reds because he's Chris Whites client/mate/whatever.

And going by one of Reg's tweets today about him not returning under current management, it sounds like RG was forced on him.
When you start going back through Link's career and add up the number of times he was forced into parroting support for a management decison and then not supported by management in return you can see why he's, by all accounts, ready to chuck in rugby all together.

Sandpit Fan

Nev Cottrell (35)
When you start going back through Link's career and add up the number of times he was forced into parroting support for a management decison and then not supported by management in return you can see why he's, by all accounts, ready to chuck in rugby all together.

Damn right. You can understand why he's had a gutful.

And the way he was shafted over the Beale affair, I have no doubt he considers Aus rugby to be rotten from the state unions all the way to the head. And who could blame him. Dealing with shifty subbies on projects would be a pleasure!

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
I remember reading that RG presser at the time and thinking what a great move by the Reds. Acting pro actively etc.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Sandpit Fan

Nev Cottrell (35)
For a short term fix I'd be in favour of Jake White, but I think he's tied up with Montpellier until too late in the Super Rugby season. Longer term would be Taylor.

You'd hope the QRU realise the only hope of keeping anyone coming to games is to get rid of RG. Even if that means putting Stiles in charge, people will give him the benefit of the doubt for the rest of the season.

Floggn'

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Yet somehow no mention of Steve Meehan's attack coach position. What has Meehan been doing since he started?

The two coaches that it appears need to go are Graham and Meehan. The S&C staff hadn't done particularly well either judging by the amount of injuries and lack of fitness last year, but they're now gone.

I worry about Graham blaming everyone around him (bar Meehan?), and somehow getting away with it. There's been a lot of excuses thrown around the Reds, but to me it appears the Reds gameplans and coaching has just been very subpar.

I would like to know how much is up to Steve Meehan. I remember him as a very smart coach and when he was at the Force I heard his insight and ideas were rock solid. It just doesn't seem to be the same bloke coaching the backs in Qld.

Floggn'

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I believe Tattsy is a big chance to come back. I just don't think anyone (the board etc) expected it had to be so soon. Obviously the 6 nations are still on.

Status
Not open for further replies.