• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Coaching Options for Qld Rugby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Tank

Herbert Moran (7)
How does one get voted onto the board of the QRU?

Good question, as of the past year or thereabouts you need to go past a nominations committee before you can get nominated for any position on the QRU board.

In a fine move by the current QRU board, the nominations committee is selected by the QRU board. Recently they haven't seen anyone from outside the current QRU board as fit for nomination.

Good luck for anyone wanting change at QRU level.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Don't know if Whitey is an practising agent any more Jets.

As for getting on the board, you get nominated by a member, 2nded by another and then voted in at the AGM. With your strong Sunnybank and Uni links, I reckon you could make it happen.

I don't think that I have any skills that the board would require apart from an ability to drink large amounts of red wine. I was more interested in the process rather than throwing my hat in the ring.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
As for him not being a practising agent, that may be true. He still runs a talent agency so I can still see some issues.

Also I have no personal knowledge of this and I am sure he does a wonderful job in both rolls. I am more looking at the perception of the roles having a conflict rather than a specific conflict.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I don't think that I have any skills that the board would require apart from an ability to drink large amounts of red wine. I was more interested in the process rather than throwing my hat in the ring.

you'd be surprised how valuable this skill would be....

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Lets all agree to never use the word talent in the same context as Richard Graham..There are many things the bloke may be but talented is not in the first dozen that come to mind.

Perhaps more appropriate would be the relationship between RG's appointment and red wine consumption.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
I can SELL large amounts of red wine. To anyone. Including Queenslanders. Will that get me a guernsey? :cool:

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
I don't think we need an experienced coach. We all have to start somewhere but we need a detailed selection process where candidates must explain what, why and how they will achieve their objectives. We have to be mindful that the diamond in the rough could be out there.

Say a Brad Thorn wanted to enter coaching, I wouldn't want lack of experience to count against him when he shows the attributes that could make him very good at the job. Discussions about support staff also need to be part of the process.

A good can of harden the fuck up and an outside perspective maybe what we need most.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I don't think we need an experienced coach. We all have to start somewhere but we need a detailed selection process where candidates must explain what, why and how they will achieve their objectives. We have to be mindful that the diamond in the rough could be out there.

Say a Brad Thorn wanted to enter coaching, I wouldn't want lack of experience to count against him when he shows the attributes that could make him very good at the job. Discussions about support staff also need to be part of the process.

A good can of harden the fuck up and an outside perspective maybe what we need most.

Well the QRU just hired a mentor type to guide an inexperienced coach such as Thorn around. It can't get worse can it?

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I am loath to have an inexperienced coach at Super level in a head coach role.

Don't mind former players taking roles as assistants but not in the main role. I'd be happy with Stiles as Head coach with Connolly as his mentor. Thorn as forwards coach and get someone in as a backs coach from QPR. Hedger, Seib and Sampson spring to mind.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
I cannot believe the QRU will re-sign RG for another year.

Knuckles is the head man. RG will hate that. He will be accountable to someone who is not his mate. Expect Knuckles will not be Richards newest best friend.

Bold prediction: The QRU by employing Connolly as Director of Coaching are setting the scene for the employment of a relatively inexperienced coach - Matty Taylor

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
predictions for outcomes of Knuckles first week 'in charge'?

By the end of the week:

- fitness sessions will be log carries up and down the Ballymore stand stairs
- Queensland Reds will be wearing maroon.
- Red Dog will be carrying the kicking tee out.
- Sam Green will be flyhalf

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
predictions for outcomes of Knuckles first week 'in charge'?

By the end of the week:

- fitness sessions will be log carries up and down the Ballymore stand stairs
- Queensland Reds will be wearing maroon.
- Red Dog will be carrying the kicking tee out.
- Sam Green will be flyhalf

AH Red Dog. He'd be more grey than red now and need a little cart to be rolled out in.

Connolly isn't "in charge" though is he? I thought from my reading of the very obscure list of duties he was the coaching "mentor" and advisor. Doesn't that mean that any future success belongs to Knuckles and failures remain the province of RG?

Hound

Bill Watson (15)
I suppose the question is why bring Connolly in if RG is not going to listen or implement Connolly's suggestions.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I cannot believe the QRU will re-sign RG for another year.

Knuckles is the head man. RG will hate that. He will be accountable to someone who is not his mate. Expect Knuckles will not be Richards newest best friend.

Bold prediction: The QRU by employing Connolly as Director of Coaching are setting the scene for the employment of a relatively inexperienced coach - Matty Taylor

They are old mates. Knuckles gave RG his first start at Bath.

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
What's Bill Millard doing? From memory he has done well with each coaching appointment undertaken (no notable failures stand out).

Not sure about Tim Lane, I know he won a premiership with Manly in 1998, apart from that all his success seems to have come as an assistant coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.