• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Coaching Options for Qld Rugby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Floggn'

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I am so disappointed by this. Where was the so called review? If they did a review and found out that a win ratio of less than 3 games out of 10, fans not coming to games in droves, players unhappy is a GOOD thing. Can I get them to do my quarterly reviews for my position. F Me, no other employer in the world would accept this to be OK why should the Reds or Fans? I want to keep supporting the team I have grown up with but this makes it very very hard. Time for a Player and Fan Revolt!:mad:

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...t-richard-graham/story-e6frg7v6-1227331039195

"Graham is not going to be sacked. Get used to it, Reds fans. Some won’t get used to it, of course, and will walk away from the team they love. Some will size up the new support network the QRU puts around him and, swallowing their inclination to cancel their memberships, will resolve through gritted teeth to give the Reds one last chance in 2016."

He's staying according to Wayne Smith. To coin a phrase used so often used throughout this season by RG and Slipper: "disappointing"

It is unbelievable that the ARU doesn't have a say in who coaches their players as well. How the hell does it serve austrtalian rugby having this muppet involved at any level other than juniors?

Re the Wayne Smith quote you highlight above, it was followed by something even worse:

"At the moment it’s “hats off” to McCall and Carmichael for having the courage to back their judgment in the face of the near-universal belief they’ve got it wrong."

I mean, really, how does he craft this sycophantic rubbish with a straight face.

And regarding the veracity of this article, W Smith's PR puff pieces for the QRU/Reds masquerading as objective commentary are so valuable to the QRU we can be assured that if the elite there was NOT going to re-appoint RG and they had other plans, a limo would be despatched for Smith to be comfortably ferried to Ballymore, and over a top-grade bottle of red wine in the quiet sanctuary of the boardroom, they'd tell him so.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
That sucks.

After last season it took a titanic effort to convince myself this seasons memberships were worth purchasing.

Not sure I'll be able to do the same next year.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...t-richard-graham/story-e6frg7v6-1227331039195

"Graham is not going to be sacked. Get used to it, Reds fans. Some won’t get used to it, of course, and will walk away from the team they love. Some will size up the new support network the QRU puts around him and, swallowing their inclination to cancel their memberships, will resolve through gritted teeth to give the Reds one last chance in 2016."

He's staying according to Wayne Smith. .......

A btw. Re this forthcoming 'new support network the QRU puts around him'.

RG has been with the Reds since September 2012, and it's now, some 2+ seasons later realised that he needs 'a new support network'. I suppose that all the best insights take time to mature.

This has of course already commenced with the announcement of Brad Thorn as some kind of supplementary forwards coach for 2016. Which parallels last year's similar QRU/RG 'discovery' that 'the squad RG inherited we now realise should have been much more strongly refreshed after 2011 and so that will now occur with new recruits to ensure 2015 is a highly successful season after the 'disappointments' of 2014.'

But perhaps the biggest parallels for those with good memories is that from just after the poor and 'disappointing' Wallabies performance at the RWC 2011. Immediately ending that moment, JO'N, in a flap and surrounded by hostile media, announced an 'independent review of the team and coaching and support systems'. What transpired was of course not an independent review at all, but one done largely by ex-Wallabies on the ARU board. The report was never published, many had hoped it would lead to the late 2011 sacking of Deans.

What happened? Deans was retained 'but with a far better support structure' as the ARU's Nucifora in early 2012 sacked all of Deans' assistant coaches and replaced them with McGahan, Scrivener and Blades. Deans was retained 'with the ARU's continued support'.

Nothing much at all improved in the Wallabies standards of play in 2012, no silverware was won, and the BIL was decisively lost in 2013. After 6 long and largely mediocre seasons, Deans was finally gone.

Maybe we'll see RG at the Reds for 6 seasons and with Ballymore revived as Reds home field as Suncorp was increasingly simply too big to hold the 5,000 'die hard' fans that routinely arrived there for Reds games.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
CHALLENGE

Can anyone think of a Rugby coach who took their team down to a 20% win ratio and then managed to bring them back up to win anything?
The bloke running the Canes this year was in charge of Wellington ITM Cup team last year. He got the ITM Cup team relegated to the B competition. His performance with the Hurricanes in 2015 seems to be OK.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
The parallels with Deans, with whom RG held his previously highest coaching position, are very eerie. We could go over the credentials of RG yet again, but all here should know them by rote. What should now be apparent to all is the fact that the mode of play under Deans with assistant RG is very similar to that of the Reds under RG. The results are worse, simply IMO there are not as many experienced elite players in the Reds that were at the Wallabies. Not surprisingly to many the results were also mirrored at the Force.

I don't want blame RG excessively, it is a failure of the board as much as it is his, the results show that he was not really up to the standard and he has been put in a position where he was always going to fail.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
I don't want blame RG excessively, it is a failure of the board as much as it is his, the results show that he was not really up to the standard and he has been put in a position where he was always going to fail.

Trying to remember the details of the NSW coach from many years ago who said to a new player who was making mistakes at training "Don't worry, it's not your fault. The selectors made the mistake".
Same scenario with RG.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Maybe we'll see RG at the Reds for 6 seasons and with Ballymore revived as Reds home field as Suncorp was increasingly simply too big to hold the 5,000 'die hard' fans that routinely arrived there for Reds games.
Pretty sure if he's around for 6 years they could use an outside field at Ballymore as no one will want to commit to a seat and will be happy to stand and watch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I'm now of the theory that Deans was a great coach and it was RG who dragged the team, the Wallabies, down to his level.

T

TOCC

Pretty sure if he's around for 6 years they could use an outside field at Ballymore as no one will want to commit to a seat and will be happy to stand and watch.

Il be supporting the Reds no matter who the coach is...always have and always will..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Il be supporting the Reds no matter who the coach is.always have and always will..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I get a sinking feeling when I see the distinct possibility of RG coaching next season. He doesn't have a record of success.
It's not good for Qld rugby followers or players, nor is it good Australian rugby.
It's as though the Board don't want to acknowledge their prior mistakes.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
How does one get voted onto the board of the QRU?

Also if RG's good friend and agent is on there he shouldn't be involved in any coaching decisions. Having any sort of sports agent on there seems to be a big conflict of interest to me.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
How does one get voted onto the board of the QRU?

Also if RG's good friend and agent is on there he shouldn't be involved in any coaching decisions. Having any sort of sports agent on there seems to be a big conflict of interest to me.

Don't know if Whitey is an practising agent any more Jets.

As for getting on the board, you get nominated by a member, 2nded by another and then voted in at the AGM. With your strong Sunnybank and Uni links, I reckon you could make it happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.