• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Colby Fainga'a

Status
Not open for further replies.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Rebels would be the best option. I could see the advantage in them offering the 3 brothers a package deal.

Whilst I agree the Fainga'a's have shit going on at Qld now; they're faces are on the walls, they're in leadership groups,they do charity work, etc.

Whilst it's possible I don't think it's likely.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Would be great to see all 3 at Rebels - I think the Rebels do need some depth in hooker position - there current Hooker is not good (unwanted kiwi)

Also Anthony is to good not to be in a starting 15.

Colby is the best of the lot for me and needs to be in a starting 15 - if I was him and didnt get any offers for next season I would be moving to France...at the end of the day its his job and he needs to do whats best for his future.

Vili Fainga'a is good but I dont think he will ever play super rugby - unless there are a number of injuries in QLD - he will prob play a few more tests and maybe move to France to make abit of dough.

I was in the same age group as Vili (played agasint him many times) - he was an insane player as a junior, watched Anthony and Saia most weekends after my game and they were crazy - Anthony was the best defender I have ever seen in junior rugby - didnt see much of Colby because he always played an hour or 2 before me as a junior on the weekends.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Really think so mate? Think he has been below par.

He can't throw lineouts, can't play any position other than hooker, and is spectacular around the field. It's an issue.

If this was South Africa we'd use him to answer our issue of who would be our 7 going forward.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Really think so mate? Think he has been below par.

I think he was a major reason why they got across the line against the Force. He had an excellent game there.

He definitely isn't a good lineout thrower and that is the biggest flaw in his game.

I think he's well away from being the player holding the Rebels back though. 1,3,7,12, 14 are all currently weaker positions in their side than 2 in my opinion.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
If I was colby I'd go to the rebels and after a season or two play for tonga.

He might make a wallaby tour some time in the future when one the top 3 are injured, but in that time he could play 30 tests for tonga.

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
It would be nice to see Colby get a run. One of the things that disapointed me about the Brums signing Poey, was that he would then be pushed back. Rebels would be good. That would then leave his options open with regards to international rep - i.e. still available for Wallabies, but be able to choose Tonga if it didn't come off.

A season uninjured & regular playing is what he needs. IMO - would easily slot in above Hooper in the pecking order.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It would be nice to see Colby get a run. One of the things that disapointed me about the Brums signing Poey, was that he would then be pushed back. Rebels would be good. That would then leave his options open with regards to international rep - i.e. still available for Wallabies, but be able to choose Tonga if it didn't come off.

A season uninjured & regular playing is what he needs. IMO - would easily slot in above Hooper in the pecking order.

I'm not sure about that......

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Hooper had a quiet game last week but was the best Australian player in 2012. Not sure if Colby is in that class.

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)

Stick by the second part of that sentence with the proviso of the first. The boy can play and play bloody well. Just needs to chances. Like Hooper had been given.

Edit: Like Hooper has had. Sorry. Not saying he has not deserved them.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
They're both different kinds of 7's, and both very good players, but from watching them both play for the juniors and the Brumbies in 2011 Hooper looked more like the superstar in waiting.........

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Could be hearing very soon about what Colby will be doing...he MUST be talking to other clubs...

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/union-news/Fainga'a-future-under-a-cloud-20130226-2f4e9.html

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Could be hearing very soon about what Colby will be doing.he MUST be talking to other clubs.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/union-news/Fainga'a-future-under-a-cloud-20130226-2f4e9.html

Well, that article was actually written a few days ago just after Smith's signing was announced (the published date on the article seems to have changed).......

But it doesn't really reveal anything other than speculate what we've all already assumed that his future at the Brumbies is 'clouded' with the signing of Pocock and now Smith...

In the end Smith's signing only affects him this year....... he was still going to be behind Pocock for the next couple of years regardless......

So any decision he'd made about staying or going before George arrived shouldn't have changed........

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Well, that article was actually written a few days ago just after Smith's signing was announced (the published date on the article seems to have changed)...

But it doesn't really reveal anything other than speculate what we've all already assumed that his future at the Brumbies is 'clouded' with the signing of Pocock and now Smith.

In the end Smith's signing only affects him this year... he was still going to be behind Pocock for the next couple of years regardless..

So any decision he'd made about staying or going before George arrived shouldn't have changed....

Don't know. By signing Smith they have kind of sent the message that they have little faith in him. I wouldn't blame Colby if he saw it that way.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Don't know. By signing Smith they have kind of sent the message that they have little faith in him. I wouldn't blame Colby if he saw it that way.

I don't think so.

They had a backrow opening, and they got George Smith.

George freaking Smith.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
I posted this in the Brumbies thread, but I'll put it here

What Jake White and Laurie Fisher are going to do is sit down with him, explain that they can see he is still struggling under injury, ask Smith and Pocock to train with him and tell him that they want to make sure he is right to go. The Rebels and the Force will offer him 150% what the Brumbies do and a starting position. I wouldn't be surprised if some French or Irish teams did the same thing.

I think it'll be best for him in the long term to stay. I think it'll be best for him in the short term to leave.

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
What Jake White and Laurie Fisher are going to do is sit down with him, explain that they can see he is still struggling under injury

What is this mysterious injury you keep talking about? He's been fine for months. On the bench behind Pocock in Super Rugby but starting for ACT XV tomorrow.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
What is this mysterious injury you keep talking about? He's been fine for months. On the bench behind Pocock in Super Rugby but starting for ACT XV tomorrow.
In the games I've seen him in lately, he has been struggling in almost all contact. I feel like he must have something holding him back because he isn't the powerhouse he was before the 2010 injury.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
He is prob holding back because he hasnt had much game time - which he needs to get 100% back into everything - I think you will see him smash it in the game tonight for the ACT XV - If I was him I would be pissed off and ready to show what I have to offer....

I love the Brumbies but I do think that by signing Smith they have showed that they really dont want him playing anyother position than 7 - meaning he will be on the bench at best for the next 2-3 years...as a player is this really what your wanting to do? The only thing keeping him there would be 1. Family and 2. the opp to train with Pocock/Smith and hopefully lock down a no.7 position by the time he is 25 with the Brumbies and hold that for 5,6,7 years...

For me a rugby career is short and you cant sit back and wait for things to maybe happening...you never know Pocock could be at the brumbies for the next 6-7 years....If I was Colby I would be looking for a club that will offer a starting position.

Status
Not open for further replies.