• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Colts 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cattledog

Sydney Middleton (9)
Gee thanks Hugie, we hadn't thought of that.seriously though we are in negotiations 2 tertiary institutions to become part of Two Blues KickStart - a suite of employment and educational opportunities. There are no free rides or inducements however our partners provide vocational pathways that might otherwise be difficult for players from our region to access. That's our point of difference and part of the reason for our early success so far.

Two blues kickstart is a catchy name and I agree with the philosophy (give a man a fish etc etc). It's interesting to see how others are finding a path between those young blokes who are tertiary minded and those who may be more industry / vocationally oriented. Out in our world a combination of both is very much needed.

However, I haven't totally discounted (at this stage) the need to in some way come up with something that makes kids choose playing colts rugby over playing C grade for st Mary's RL for example. To use another fishing analogy I suppose you need to hook them before you can land them.

I heard from another source that one colts club in the past nominated a set of 20 players every year who had allocated $1000 to be reimbursed at the end of the season for legitimate educational or other rugby related expenses. petrol etc. Receipts had to be produced (not a bad idea either) but I suppose you have to have $20K to spend.

Blackers13

Syd Malcolm (24)
Two blues kickstart is a catchy name and I agree with the philosophy (give a man a fish etc etc). It's interesting to see how others are finding a path between those young blokes who are tertiary minded and those who may be more industry / vocationally oriented. Out in our world a combination of both is very much needed.

However, I haven't totally discounted (at this stage) the need to in some way come up with something that makes kids choose playing colts rugby over playing C grade for st Mary's RL for example. To use another fishing analogy I suppose you need to hook them before you can land them.

I heard from another source that one colts club in the past nominated a set of 20 players every year who had allocated $1000 to be reimbursed at the end of the season for legitimate educational or other rugby related expenses. petrol etc. Receipts had to be produced (not a bad idea either) but I suppose you have to have $20K to spend.
I'm a believer in 'if you build it they will come'. The build is club culture. If you have to pay kids a lousy grand or they'll go elsewhere, you have no club culture and the mob who coughs up $1500 will blow your boys away like leaves in the wind.

Cattledog

Sydney Middleton (9)
I'm a believer in 'if you build it they will come'. The build is club culture. If you have to pay kids a lousy grand or they'll go elsewhere, you have no club culture and the mob who coughs up $1500 will blow your boys away like leaves in the wind.

Very true. on another tact what about the culture factor? Is split grade & colts at alternate venues detrimental to building club culture in the 21st century? Also I hear that split colts & grade training nights at some clubs too is a bit soulless?

Culture is key but how flexible are the SRU in helping build culture by allowing colts & grade to play at the same venue?

Done that

Ron Walden (29)
Very true. on another tact what about the culture factor? Is split grade & colts at alternate venues detrimental to building club culture in the 21st century? Also I hear that split colts & grade training nights at some clubs too is a bit soulless?

Culture is key but how flexible are the SRU in helping build culture by allowing colts & grade to play at the same venue?
Presumably you didn't read my post (1824) in the Shute Shield thread regarding the same topic.
The SRU will not prevent colts playing at the same venue as the senior players.The arrangement is made between the clubs.

Cattledog

Sydney Middleton (9)
Presumably you didn't read my post (1824) in the Shute Shield thread regarding the same topic.
The SRU will not prevent colts playing at the same venue as the senior players.The arrangement is made between the clubs.

Probably my fault. Should have wrote "How interested are the SRU in addressing the issues confronting colts culture in Sydney?" I understand that you can ask the clubs but then obviously you let ignorant self interest take over. Bit of A cop out really to put it back to the clubs and claim "not our decision!"

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I see Jim Stewart (former Scots and Rats Junior) has been listed as a run on player in the Uni First Grade team list for the Students vs MMM. While there are plenty of "normal" first graders out due to Wobs, and Rebels not releasing players, and Tahs v Lions call ups, but this is a massive vote of confidence in a boy in his first year out of school.

Hope he performs and rewards the faith the coaching staff have in him.

sidelinesid

Jimmy Flynn (14)
It was a good afternoon for Gordon Colts who muscelled up in defence and conned the wicks into playing loose rugby. At 12 all at the half ,Gordon were showing more passion, were playing smarter and finding holes in the wicks defence. Very quickly Gordon were ahead 25 -12 as the wicks fell asleep. Finally after Gordon had got to 30 - 12 the wicks started playing their style of rugby and the fight back began. As the wicks got into gear they pegged back the score with some quick tries and were leading 38 - 30 and looking very strong. Then- . Wicks got a yellow card , Gordon got an intercept try and at 38 -37 Characters were tested. Gordon with nothing to lose scored again with some physical play and were 42-38 in front. They played with enormous passion and hasselled at the breakdown. Wicks were hard on attack for the last 5 minutes but the Gordon defence held and they took the game.
The Gordon 15 was outstanding and the Ten did very well. Wicks 8 and 6 were very good but the wicks team let themselves down by being outsmarted for much of the match.

Scott Grayson

Bob McCowan (2)
It was a good afternoon for Gordon Colts who muscelled up in defence and conned the wicks into playing loose rugby. At 12 all at the half ,Gordon were showing more passion, were playing smarter and finding holes in the wicks defence. Very quickly Gordon were ahead 25 -12 as the wicks fell asleep. Finally after Gordon had got to 30 - 12 the wicks started playing their style of rugby and the fight back began. As the wicks got into gear they pegged back the score with some quick tries and were leading 38 - 30 and looking very strong. Then- . Wicks got a yellow card , Gordon got an intercept try and at 38 -37 Characters were tested. Gordon with nothing to lose scored again with some physical play and were 42-38 in front. They played with enormous passion and hasselled at the breakdown. Wicks were hard on attack for the last 5 minutes but the Gordon defence held and they took the game.
The Gordon 15 was outstanding and the Ten did very well. Wicks 8 and 6 were very good but the wicks team let themselves down by being outsmarted for much of the match.
Thanks Sidelinesid, Randwick came out fighting in the second half and played some well structured rugby, talk about giving me a heart attack, but I am very proud of my boys

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
The 1st grade colts game at Uni yesterday promised to be the game of the year so far in Colts and it certainly delivered yesterday. 1v2, best 2 attacking and defensive records, one undefeated and one with a very close loss earlier in the year. It was also the only time these two sides would meet outside the semis so payback for the loser would be a long time coming. The game could have been damaged with both sides having players missing but thankfully this was not the case.

As the teams were warming up I was taken by the size of one of the Uni locks. Massive player who stood head and shoulders over everyone and easily outweighed every other forward. No surprise to find out that it was Willie Skelton's brother.

The game commenced and Manly were able to control the ball and kept pressure on Uni for the first 10 minutes with a goodvcombination of strong forward play and some hard direct runing from their inside backs but Uni were showing why they have the best defensive record and were able to withstand all that Manly threw at them. When Uni got the ball they looked dangerous and were looking to throw the ball wide and use their very fast outside backs. However, manly with some great defence and a lot of good scrambling cover were able to make sure that the early score remained even at nil all.

After about 15 minutes Manly scored first from a penalty. From the restart Manly kept ball in hand with a game plan of not kicking too much and giving the Uni back three any chance to counter-attack. Manly's back row began to make inroads and the no.7 made a great break and had the 8 in support who beat a couple of tackles to be bought down just short of the line. This gave Manly field position and allowed them to pressure Uni again. From a scrum and a couple of rucks Manly spread the ball wide and the 8 again supporting the play well was able to cross in the corner. The conversion missed but Manly had the lead 8- nil.

This stirred Uni into action and from turnovers (Uni were very good at attacking the ball and stripping it to effect turnovers) scored twice In quick time to take a 10 - 8 lead. Manly regrouped and came back at Uni for sustained period. Good work by the 7 and 8 again saw the 8 make a long break up the middle which again put Manly in good field position. They again combined strong forward play and some good back line movement to recapture the lead when they scored in the corner. A good conversion saw Manly retake a 15 - 10 lead. With the half winding down Uni put pressure on Manly from another turnover and right on half time kicked a penalty to take the half time score to 15 - 13.

The second half commenced with Manly knowing that Uni were fired up to come back at them. However early on from one attacking play the Manly 14 took an intercept and after taking forward put in a kick to the middle of the field. The supporting Manly player was able to outpace the Uni defence over 20 meters to fall on the ball over the line to increase the Manly lead. The number on the scorer's jumper 1. That's right it was the prop who showed some great pace to score.

Uni didn't lay down and no Manly player expected them to. Uni threw everything at Manly but Manly had an answer for it. The forward work at the breakdown and in general play was hard and aggressive from both teams. Manly seemed to just shade Uni in the set pieces with a strong scrum and a couple of steals in the line outs. Uni have some quick outside backs and they tried to use them whenever they could. Again manly's defence stood strong with the centre pairing making their tackles. One unfortunate event though was a serious looking injury to the Uni 14, one of the quickest players I have seen this year. Hope he is alright.

The other Uni winger showed good pace and strength to score a try in the half but every time Uni were able to score Manly were able to counter with a score of their own. In the second half Uni scored three unconverted tries whereas Manly were able to score three tries, convert 2 and kick a couple of penalties.

Uni were possibly the fitter of the two sides and appeared to be physically stronger than Manly. However,Manly were committed to what they were doing and stuck to their game plan. Best for Manly was the entire team but mention is made of the 1, 5 and 8 and in the backs 10, 12, 14 and 15. Uni were best served by the 6 and 8 and in the backs I thought that 13 and 11 were good

The Galah

Darby Loudon (17)
Can anyone see the GF as other than between these two teams? Obviously players to come back but suspect Uni a few more than MMM. Coaching and fitness will be key variables come the semis .

Interested that 10 (Natoli ?) normally 9 went well as MMM's biggest worry in grade is 10 and it was palpable at Manly yesterday . Strong argument that Hodge when he returns from 20's should be in grade . Northam who is also eligible for colts wants to stay in grade . Uni with superior player depth will no doubt have all available colts on deck come semi's.

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Uni have one player coming back from 20's Pulver and one that played grade yesterday Stewart. Manly have 4 players to come back Tame prop who was injured and ruled out of 20's, Phillips a lock who was the same as Tame, hodge and Lalakai.

The Uni side that took the field yesterday will not change too much possibly throughout the year with only the Uni policy of rotation applying. I can see much more improvement in Manly than Uni for the remainder of the year

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
As for Hodge playing grade this year I believe Manly sees this colts team as a team to progress with next year they may want to keep them together this year and bring them into grade next year as agroup

Status
Not open for further replies.