• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Colts 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waratard

Stan Wickham (3)
Interesting comments lily.

Ignoring the drivel, I too am interested to see how Gordon is shaping up. Love em or hate em, they are just as important to the strength of the comp as our western suburbs brothers are to

I've been told that Oz schoolboy and National Academy back rower Jack Dempsey is heading to Gordon in 2013. More than likely to play in grade rather than Colts though

latrell247

Chris McKivat (8)
National academy for NSW has already been picked. Nothing to do with the U19 weekend. From what I have been told they are largely based around Aust U20s and club rugby performances. There is no list that I am aware of.
The National Academy has been selected and have begun training. Few players from this years squad have picked up contracts and the new squad looks young to work towards making the Aus u20s.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I've been told that Oz schoolboy and National Academy back rower Jack Dempsey is heading to Gordon in 2013. More than likely to play in grade rather than Colts though

Clubs like Gordon will probably retain more of their junior talent if they agree to give them a lot of 1sts gametime but is this the right path for them?

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
Clubs like Gordon will probably retain more of their junior talent if they agree to give them a lot of 1sts gametime but is this the right path for them?

When did it get mentioned that he was going to get given a lot of 1sts gametime? Not many schoolboys are physically ready first year out of school (like his brother). FYI Michael looks like coming back to Gordon grade this season.

The Grade pathway is one way to retain talent yes.

G

Grandstand

Any word on Michael Wells and Cameron Clark, will they be going around with Norths Colts in 2013?

Crashy

Arch Winning (36)
Gordon's boardroom spat looks like it is over with a full board now running the club. I think they had three last year. There is apparently a big focus on colts this year so no doubt they'll have the numbers.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
That is good news that things may be on the improve at Gordon.

It is not good for rugbydom that a heartland club struggles for numbers in Colts.

O

Ole Two Blue

good news for Gordon no question too.

and more good news for us. We had over 50 at training on tuesday night for colts. Remarkable considering is still only November!

We had a few boys away too that let us know. But for the first time in years, on tuesday night, we had more colts in attendance than grade.

Mind you grade have a a few 7s teams and 10s team away overseas. But still, we're delighted with our colts numbers.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
There are suggestions that Sydney Juniors are better placed to look after the U15's and below, with SRU Colts picking up and managing the U16-U18 age grades in the Sydney Metro, running teams under the District Club banner.

This would provide a clearer pathway into Colts 1-3, and may re-invigorate the U17/Opens (SJRU administered) competition that is a bit of a mish mash at the moment.

Call it the Sydney Colts Academy competition.

Interested in thoughts on the issue.

O

Ole Two Blue

There are suggestions that Sydney Juniors are better placed to look after the U15's and below, with SRU Colts picking up and managing the U16-U18 age grades in the Sydney Metro, running teams under the District Club banner.

This would provide a clearer pathway into Colts 1-3, and may re-invigorate the U17/Opens (SJRU administered) competition that is a bit of a mish mash at the moment.

I like this idea. I mean let's face it, SJRU have butchered junior rugby in those age groups. So let the seniors take it over I say.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Ever tried to get a Junior Club prizegiving organised?

Under 16's turn up and be patient while the Under 6's to under 9's get their time in the sun?

Jumping castles and presentation day showbags?

Under 16's listen to Mum and Dad, or even be happy to be seen in the same vicinity as them if their mates are there?

The complexities of rugby coaching and administration at the U16 and above are more than an enthusiastic and time poor level 1 Dad Coach can achieve without the collegiate supoprt that is available in Colts land. Fitness and Conditioning staff and advice in the junior village clubs?

Simplification of the representative pathway for State Teams by removing one actor from the mix of organisations struggling for relevance.

Let the Juniors focus on what they are very good at, and let Colts deal with our lovely darling testosterone enhanced manboys.

Blackers13

Syd Malcolm (24)

Not a bad idea. There is definitely a drop off in numbers from 16's. The move to a Sunday comp to accommodate private schools has seen a fracturing of the competition and it's well known that many PI boys won't play Sundays due to Church and family commitments. A district club idea may see an overall reduction of numbers, but at least a viable competition until the School kids finish year 12 and join Colts. Worth more discussion.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Regarding the possible "overall reduction of numbers", if it was a district club idea, I am not suggesting that the clubs are limited to one and one team in the respective age groups. That would kind of defeat the purpose of the exercise.

In fact there would be nothing wrong with Gordon having a Gordon Yellow, Gordon Green and Gordon Aquamarine in the Under 17A Colts Academy competition and a Gordon Green and Gordon Yellow in the Under 17B Colts Academy competition if they have the numbers. Same for all the clubs.

This should be marketed as a strong and vibrant competition with a realistic and competitive pathway to State Selection and introduction into the Colts and Grade Programme. An alternative graded competition for those who do not participate in the rugby programmes of "exclusive" private schools.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
The older age groups are difficult to manage in all sports. I can offer some personal experiences here to illustrate some of the problems involved.

Mid to late 90s I coached a team from 14s to 17s to help a friend. Each year more and more difficult to get a team on the field, each year more and more difficult to get the players that I had to training with their other committments. We made it all the way through and I loved working with the boys, but it was tough - as anyone who has done it would know.

Being a masochist, I then continued on coaching into colts. More support and the competition was better structured, so life was a bit easier. Somehow managed to be our colts rep to twice a year meetings with NSWRU. To my surprise it became obvious that some clubs considered colts to be something of a nuisance which had to be tolerated as being a condition of being in the NSWRU 1st division. They were always trying to cut the number of grades and the number of rounds played. Fortunately they were a minority, but only just. They tried to do away with 4th Grade Colts and when the majority wanted to keep it, only 7 clubs entered teams. This meant a bye almost every second week, so the next year no 4th grade colts. They were efforts to do away with 3rd Grade Colts as well.

I'd like to think that things have changed, but...

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Regarding the possible "overall reduction of numbers", if it was a district club idea, I am not suggesting that the clubs are limited to one and one team in the respective age groups. That would kind of defeat the purpose of the exercise.

In fact there would be nothing wrong with Gordon having a Gordon Yellow, Gordon Green and Gordon Aquamarine in the Under 17A Colts Academy competition and a Gordon Green and Gordon Yellow in the Under 17B Colts Academy competition if they have the numbers. Same for all the clubs.

This should be marketed as a strong and vibrant competition with a realistic and competitive pathway to State Selection and introduction into the Colts and Grade Programme. An alternative graded competition for those who do not participate in the rugby programmes of "exclusive" private schools.

I didn't think any of Gordon village clubs fielded even one side this year?

Status
Not open for further replies.