• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Colts 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Great insight Quick Hands. It is that support and competition structure that I feel would be beneficial to the kids and coaches/managers at pre-colts. The Village Clubs really struggle to provide that.

It also would be a more powerful committment to "Junior Development" than just cherry picking the more talented kids from the country, or the GPS/CAS/ISA competitions in year 12 as some clubs are currently accused of doing.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
A challenge for Gordon to recruit the necessary numbers from within its area to grow and develop the game. There is the odd public high school in and around their area.

As many have said elsewhere on other threads Aust Rugby has got to look to develop the game in areas other than the Sydney and Brisbane GPS schools. Time for some innovative thinking.

The Galah

Darby Loudon (17)
Let's just say the Oakhill v Augies rivalry will continue when Parra play Manly
Excellent there was a sense of this a few months ago as I recall , glad its becoming a reality - it seems Manly are getting the best Augustinians despite the Rats sniffing around !

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
Any truth in the rumour that Keith "Shadow" Holmes has been picked up by Southern Districts as the Colts Manager and Recruitment Man?He did great things for the Wicks and would be a loss.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Southern sound like they have a strong structure and some good plans in colts, on what ive heard recently.
To pick up on @hughjarse point abov this is a neglected area and has been for yonks - plenty of talent I imagine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The Galah

Darby Loudon (17)
Southern sound like they have a strong structure and some good plans in colts, on what ive heard recently.
To pick up on @hughjarse point abov this is a neglected area and has been for yonks - plenty of talent I imagine.

Manly are now reaping the benefits of a strong colts structure for the past 3 to 4 years . Apparently 40plus players already fronting at Keirle Pk at grade fitness training alone with major representation of ex colts now in the 20 to 23 age bracket.

Good governance , and most importantly sound financial management of the senior club helps the cause - not splashing the cash on imports . Local and loyal juniors cut costs ie; the wage bill, rather than supping with dubious player managers .

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Manly are now reaping the benefits of a strong colts structure for the past 3 to 4 years . Apparently 40plus players already fronting at Keirle Pk at grade fitness training alone with major representation of ex colts now in the 20 to 23 age bracket.

Good governance , and most importantly sound financial management of the senior club helps the cause - not splashing the cash on imports . Local and loyal juniors cut costs ie; the wage bill, rather than supping with dubious player managers .
Good for manly.
Strong sense of community down there.

senior

Peter Burge (5)
Gordon Rugby players will now have the opportunity to gain educational scholarships with the University of Technology Sydney. This is the result of a ground breaking 2 year sponsorship agreement between Gordon and the UTS for the 2013/14 seasons.
It is part of Gordon Rugby’s strategic plan to provide educational pathways for their players that will ultimately lead to a chosen professional field, and presenting UTS as the number one choice for players to complete their tertiary studies.
As part of the sponsorship agreement a number of Gordon Rugby / UTS Scholarships will be available to talented players to support them in their chosen courses at UTS.
Former Wallaby and current 1st Grade Colts coach Mark Hartill says the Scholarships will provide a unique opportunity only available to Gordon Rugby players. “This provides Gordon Junior Rugby players and others with a pathway to play at the highest level in the Sydney competition and at the same time financial support in their chosen University of Technology course at either the Broadway or Lindfield campus.”
The UTS logo will feature on the front of all Gordon Grade and Colts jerseys. UTS will also have primary branding rights on the scoreboard and grandstand at Chatswood Oval, starting in season 2013.
The club has already had an ongoing relationship with UTS over several years.. Several high profile players have been part of the UTS Elite and Emerging Athlete Program , as well as being members of the UTS Rugby Union 7s squad that won gold at the Australian University Games in 2011 season.
There will be opportunities for UTS students, in particular studying for Human Movement and Sports Management degrees, to take up internships with the club in strength and conditioning, video analysis, coaching or sports development
UTS Union CEO Liz Brett says the partnership will see some unique opportunities for the UTS Community. “For UTS to be involved with an elite Rugby club in NSW is a positive step and adds weight to the higher end of our holistic sporting program. It ticks a lot of boxes in terms of student and staff engagement, both passive and active, as well as providing the university with fantastic brand exposure. The partnership is complimentary as both parties are actively engaged in providing dual career and sporting pathways for students.”
Gordon is one of the iconic clubs in Sydney Rugby Union.The club has won the Sydney First Grade Premiership on eight occasions, and the Club Championship 13 times. The Gordon club has produced many great Australian Test players including former Wallaby captains Stirling Mortlock ,Peter Sullivan, Bob Davidson and Trevor Allen.

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
I was at Warringah last year doing Colts and Jed was given no support. Sam Harris is completely out of his depth.
I had a half hour debate with him one night and he has no idea. The whole club is in a terrible mess. They are rushing Colts to grade who are not ready.
I t was 7 coaches who left the Colts there last year. They have no recruitment plan and still owe money to me and other coaches. A shambles of a place.
Sad to hear that, we need every club to be as healthy as possible.
The financial difficulties currently being experienced by a key Warringah sponsor won't help either.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I was at Warringah last year doing Colts and Jed was given no support. Sam Harris is completely out of his depth.
I had a half hour debate with him one night and he has no idea. The whole club is in a terrible mess. They are rushing Colts to grade who are not ready.
I t was 7 coaches who left the Colts there last year. They have no recruitment plan and still owe money to me and other coaches. A shambles of a place.
I think Harris did a good job with the players at his disposal.1/2 of the previous years colts played regular first grade last year. The Colts side in 2011 were barely competitive, so such a large % of that crop playing regular first grade is wrap for Harris.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

The results at Manly should be a lesson to all. They haven't come about as a result of any quick fix or miracle solution, but they have been a culmination of about 10-12 years of hard work by past and present committee, coaches and volunteers.

Manly village clubs are also going ahead in leaps and bounds and in 2013, Allambie Heights JRC is being re-established after folding about 15 -20 years ago. This brings the number of village clubs in the tiny geographic area of Manly to 5 and rugby on the peninsula now has about the same number of junior clubs as Manly-Warringah league - an astonishing achievement considering the resources available to a professional NRL club to 2 semi-pro/amateur Shute Shield clubs.

I was disappointed to read on this thread that at least 3 clubs; Parra, Penrith and Gordon could not field 3 colts teams last year. Ten years ago EVERY team in the competition fielded 4 grades of colts, with 4th grade being U/19s. The folly of removing 4th grade/u19 colts is now apparent, all it did was to weaken the grade above. Another stunning decision by NSWRU.

J

Jonathan Walsh

It is n
I think he did a good job with the players at his disposal.1/2 of the previous years colts played regular first grade last year. The Colts side in 2011 were barely competitive, so such a large % of that crop playing regular first grade is wrap for Harris.

Is not a wrap. They had no one else to put in due to a lack of recruiting. They took 3 players from colts to play Shute shield in 2012.none were ready. Large area to choose from and next to no recruiting. The club is a sleeping giant if it gets organised. Lots of very good juniors. Manly already talking to some of them since July.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Well, most played better this year than they did last year.
The side they were in this year was much better performed than their Colt's side the year before.Is that a wrap on Sam or a condemnation of the colt's coaching staff?

Bad boy

Frank Nicholson (4)
The wrap goes further back than one year. If these guys go on and play 1st grade you have to look at their coaches from the 2-4 years before. The colts standard was set by Browny who was the coordinator and coach in 2009/10 most of his guys have had 1st grade experience. Does any one know what happened to him. My son thought he was the best coach he ever had.

J

Jonathan Walsh

Well, most played better this year than they did last year.
The side they were in this year was much better performed than their Colt's side the year before.Is that a wrap on Sam or a condemnation of the colt's coaching staff?

Debatable as to whether they played much better. Brett Sheehan, matt Hodgson, Pek Cowan and one of the Holmes brothers-think it was Josh came back later in the year. Cant comment on Colts coaches of 2011 as I was not there. They did win 10/22 games and lost 4/5 by tight margins.

Franky

Peter Burge (5)
The wrap goes further back than one year. If these guys go on and play 1st grade you have to look at their coaches from the 2-4 years before. The colts standard was set by Browny who was the coordinator and coach in 2009/10 most of his guys have had 1st grade experience. Does any one know what happened to him. My son thought he was the best coach he ever had.
He is in the UK due to his wife taking up an employment opportunity on a 3 year contract etc. He was a very good no BS type of guy and coach who worked with the players on the roster and a few players followed him to the Rats like Hamish Angus and Wayne Borzak who will go onto higher honours etc. He was level 3 and had over 12 years private school rugby experience which obviously helps when coaching in the colts program. He related well with players & fellow coaches which helps.

Franky

Peter Burge (5)
Why I don't disagree totally with your post, I find it hard to read these post from you whinging about not getting paid as a coach, the fact that you were only there due to the dollars is what is now wrong with the whole rugby set up these days. The days when players & coaches were associated with a club because it was tribal/territorial and for the love of the game seem to be over unfortunately. Solid characters stick with a club and try to help turn a club around but you just seem to like laying in the boot, little bit like your coaching style perhaps?

J

Jonathan Walsh

Why I don't disagree totally with your post, I find it hard to read these post from you whinging about not getting paid as a coach, the fact that you were only there due to the dollars is what is now wrong with the whole rugby set up these days. The days when players & coaches were associated with a club because it was tribal/territorial and for the love of the game seem to be over unfortunately. Solid characters stick with a club and try to help turn a club around but you just seem to like laying in the boot, little bit like your coaching style perhaps?

How would you know what my motivation is? I have never gone to a club for money. How would you have any idea? I have stuck with clubs for several years through thick and thin and never been paid before to coach at club level in 18 years. What would you know about my coaching style?
Your comments are ill informed. You are looking from the outside in and have no knowledge of the reality. Laughable. Would love to see your response if the shoe was on the other foot. I do agree with you that it is sad that players etc no longer stick with clubs but why would you when the clubs do not always meet their obligations? Sign of the times.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I think it's fair to say Franky is merely lamenting a change to a more money centric club culture, but perhaps to the wrong person.

Meanwhile Jonathan Walsh is merely wanting to be paid for services rendered, which is fair enough.

I myself was with a club for a long period and was offered a job working for them. I did that job for a long period and so a large sum was owed to me. However, it was paid 8 months too late and not to the full amount. Needless to say the club and I no longer have an association as this is disrespectful.

Clubs don't have to offer people money, but they often do because they want a job done well (this can be players, coaches, barmen, etc). If they create an obligation and don't meet it then it's just like any other organisation.

Status
Not open for further replies.