• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Colts 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elvis - Barrenjoey

Frank Row (1)
The past Aus 20's sides have been very disappointing on the world stage. I am still astonished at how they select the side, however this year's Aus 20's team should finish in the top 4.

The Raging Potato

Allen Oxlade (6)
Successful trip to the Shire for the boys in Red and Black with the flying 3s kicking things off nicely with a 53-0 win and still to concede a point for the season to date, 2s winning comfortably 50 - 10 and 1s getting up 44 - 25 in a keenly contested game. Big test of what all 3 grades are made of next week with the Students up next.

Elvis - Barrenjoey

Frank Row (1)
Easts had a reasonable day at Manly winning thirds, drawing seconds and just losing 1st in the final minutes. Easts dropped the ball a meter from the line for the win Manly with highly skilled backs passed the ball wide and run the length of the field to score on the bell.

Marlins 40 to Easts 27

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
A gutsy effort by Manly 1's today. Down 5 regulars to start with and then losing their replacement 10 after about 10 minutes they got up 40 (4tries) to 27.

Easts started strong and scored first and led 8 nil after about 20 minutes. They were able to capitalise on a number of Manly mistakes and keep good pressure on the marlins. After manly started to settle down the game became a very physical and Manly were able to score a converted try and kick a penalty right on half time to lead 10 - 8. Manly had played most of the half with the starting 8 playing at no. 10 after the starting 10 suffered a bad shoulder injury and was replaced.

After half time Easts again started strong and scored an intercept to take a 15-10 lead. From here though Manly started to get good possession and put pressure on Easts and converted some penalties to take a handy lead 27-15. Easts were able to get good field position and put some good pressure on Manly which resulted in a yellow card to Manly after repeated infringements. Having the extra man and using the space well Easts scored an unconverted try to get within 7 but Manly held on well and were able to convert another 2 penalties to take the score out to 33-20. A try to Easts to get to within 6 points meant that the game would go down to the wire. Good attack from Easts and some very good defence by Manly in the final stages resulted in a turn over to Manly who spread the ball wide in their own 22 and broke away down the sideline. A kick and chase with the Easts cover being pressured and not recovering the ball saw Manly regathering near the line and score the final points to win 40-27.

All in all a good physical game if not a little scrappy. Mention must be made of the No.8 who played 10 for most of the game and was still able to provide good service to the back line and to the Manly kicker who managed 8 from 8 in very windy and difficult conditions.

A good recovery from Manly after last weeks narrow loss.

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
A very close encounter, and a very physical game. Congratulations to Parramatta and we look forward to the return match at Chatswood. The lift in club spirit is a testament to the hard work by the club, tip the hat boys. Also Belly thanks for the chat after the game.
Parramatta Colts have submitted a match report for the win over Gordon on the Two Blues website. There are also photos available in the media gallery.

Blackers13

Syd Malcolm (24)
Jesus - that's not good for anyone.
Absolutely right Gibbo. So what can be done? We can forget about the ARU or NSW doing anything meaningful, so it really comes down to Penrith finding a way. While by no means claiming a recovery after only 5 rounds, a year ago the Two Blues were in the same position. While there was commitment from the board, Head Coach and Management to rebuild Colts, in the end it came down to a fortuitous combination of: 1) a successful 2012 for the First Grade team, which gave back some credibility to the club as a viable Rugby pathway; 2) a successful under 17's rep team and associated club players who were keen to stay together; 3) a group of Oakhill College boys wanting to stay together; 4) a very good coach and communicator wanting to coach at Colts level and choosing Parramatta as a place he could work his program along side the seniors program. Perhaps Penrith could look to Prariewood High, Blue Mountains Grammar or any other local school with some sort of Rugby program and follow a similar plan? In any case, Rugby needs Penrith AND Parramatta, despite an apparent lack of interest from the governing bodies in retaining club Rugby in Western Sydney.

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
Jesus - that's not good for anyone.

Absolutely right Gibbo.
<snipped>
In any case, Rugby needs Penrith AND Parramatta, despite an apparent lack of interest from the governing bodies in retaining club Rugby in Western Sydney.
Some good comment and good ideas there Ryan09 and hopefully the good folk at the Emus are considering similar strategies. I think it's fair to say that the governing bodies don't seem to have the stomach for putting any more money into the West (possibly understandable based on past results) but alignment with schools and/or coaches is a low cost option that may work for them.

But returning, for a moment, to Gibbo's comment "that's not good for anyone" - I think we could ask that Bruce Ross pass a message to the Uni Colts coaching staff that the travesty of hookers kicking goals should be immediately quashed.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
But returning, for a moment, to Gibbo's comment "that's not good for anyone" - I think we could ask that Bruce Ross pass a message to the Uni Colts coaching staff that the travesty of hookers kicking goals should be immediately quashed.
Thank you, 2bf, for the opportunity to shed some light on this seemingly straightforward issue. I speak from the perspective of a very undersized front rower who believed that the main reason for playing rugby was that it enabled you to participate in the absorbing sport of scrums.

You seem to be suggesting that it is somehow inappropriate for hookers to be taking kicks for goal. I would agree with you entirely, if and only if all games were played in indoor closed-roof stadiums where there is little or no variability in the conditions under which goal attempts are taken. But once you have to factor in swirling gusty winds you need to make use of the most cerebral member of the team, someone capable of making precise calculations under conditions of extreme psychological stress. That would of course normally be the tight head but hookers are typically cunning, relatively undersized glory hunters who are obsessed with seeing their names on the score sheet and given to pushing themselves forward.

However, if the choice is between a blow-waved, leg-waxed space cadet and an actual contributor to the messy business of securing the ball for the backs to squander, it is entirely appropriate and just for the hooker to assume the goal kicking role.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I have posted this before on the Schoolboys thread.

The hooker in question, Tom Wilson, was kicking for Aust Schoolboys in the "Test" against the Darkness Schoolboys last year at Auckland Grammar School. The game was televised.

In one of the close ups of the kicking tee, on some tape on the Tee, Tom had written in texta "DON'T MISS" with a big smiley face next to that.

Who said us fatties don't have a sense of humour?

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
I have posted this before on the Schoolboys thread.

The hooker in question, Tom Wilson, was kicking for Aust Schoolboys in the "Test" against the Darkness Schoolboys last year at Auckland Grammar School. The game was televised.

In one of the close ups of the kicking tee, on some tape on the Tee, Tom had written in texta "DON'T MISS" with a big smiley face next to that.

Who said us fatties don't have a sense of humour?
Good point, Huge. If it had been a winger kicking I doubt there would have been an apostrophe.

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
But once you have to factor in swirling gusty winds you need to make use of the most cerebral member of the team, someone capable of making precise calculations under conditions of extreme psychological stress. That would of course normally be the tight head but hookers are typically cunning, relatively undersized glory hunters who are obsessed with seeing their names on the score sheet and given to pushing themselves forward.

However, if the choice is between a blow-waved, leg-waxed space cadet and an actual contributor to the messy business of securing the ball for the backs to squander, it is entirely appropriate and just for the hooker to assume the goal kicking role.
Bruce, I now see the error in my logic. Thank you so much for assisting me to see the light. :) As an ex-forward I am particularly ashamed of my fuzzy thinking on this matter.

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
Ah an ex-forward who has become a rampaging centre.
Ex as in retired. My path was in the opposite direction, started on the wing in the Under 10s but I saw the light by the Under 15s and went to flanker where I remained (mostly) until the Under 39s.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Thank you, 2bf, for the opportunity to shed some light on this seemingly straightforward issue. I speak from the perspective of a very undersized front rower who believed that the main reason for playing rugby was that it enabled you to participate in the absorbing sport of scrums.

You seem to be suggesting that it is somehow inappropriate for hookers to be taking kicks for goal. I would agree with you entirely, if and only if all games were played in indoor closed-roof stadiums where there is little or no variability in the conditions under which goal attempts are taken. But once you have to factor in swirling gusty winds you need to make use of the most cerebral member of the team, someone capable of making precise calculations under conditions of extreme psychological stress. That would of course normally be the tight head but hookers are typically cunning, relatively undersized glory hunters who are obsessed with seeing their names on the score sheet and given to pushing themselves forward.

Brains in their feet?

Status
Not open for further replies.