• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Colts 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Tough run home for the Hobbits.

They have a good pool of players with a few colts eligible playing grade.

IMHO their depth was a little exposed during the representative season.

Doofus

Peter Burge (5)
You are not wrong with the games coming up.

SD like all the teams have had their trials and tribulations throughout the year. Some internal stuff has been settled and a number of injuries on the heal. So what happens on each day - happens.

There are some interesting opinions out there - for example after the Warringah vs SD "catch up game" on the Sunday a fortnight ago (day after the SD vs Manly game - Rats had won their 6th in row on that Saturday - with a big win)- the Rat's Manager congratulated his team on their effort with their forwards against Southern Districts who have the "best forward pack in the competition" - Rats didn't make it seven in a row - even with available St Augustine players. Wasn't a pretty match, lots of referree helpers onthe sideline - which was a bonus!- with some tired men on the filed - SDs No 7 played 5 games of competitive rugby that week - still couldn't keep him off the field.

Not sure about the final 6 - I thought it was the final eight teams played in the final as set out below.

Finals - Week 1 - starting - 17/08/2013

Home Team v Away Team Location Time
Qualifying Final A
Ladder Pos: 1 v Ladder Pos: 4 TBC
Qualifying Final B
Ladder Pos: 5 v Ladder Pos: 8 TBC
Qualifying Final C
Ladder Pos: 6 v Ladder Pos: 7 TBC
Qualifying Final D
Ladder Pos: 2 v Ladder Pos: 3 TBC
space.gif

Finals - Week 2 - starting - 24/08/2013

Semi Final E
[Loser of Qualifying Final A] v [Winner of Qualifying Final B] TBC
Semi Final F
[Winner of Qualifying Final C] v [Loser of Qualifying Final D] TBC
space.gif

Finals - Week 3 - starting - 31/08/2013

Preliminary Final G
[Winner of Qualifying Final A] v [Winner of Semi Final F] TBC
Preliminary Final H
[Winner of Qualifying Final D] v [Winner of Semi Final E] TBC
space.gif

Finals - Week 4 - 7/09/2013

Grand Final
[Winner of Preliminary Final G] v [Winner of Preliminary Final H] TBC
space.gif

There are a number of teams who have capacity and capability impacting and shaping the outcomes of the competition - one of which I agree is winning it.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
In October last year there was an Under 19 Academy tournament (or just a couple of interstate games) held at the end of the season.

Anyone got any info on similar for this year?
Dates, locations, timings.

Not sure who ran it but I think it was at Ballymore Queensland.

When do they announce the Academy teams/squads?

With recent managerial changes at ARU and fall out from JRWC performance, what is the inside story on the Academy structures? Staying National or reverting to a Soup Franchise based model.

Doofus

Peter Burge (5)
In October last year there was an Under 19 Academy tournament (or just a couple of interstate games) held at the end of the season.

Anyone got any info on similar for this year?
Dates, locations, timings.

Not sure who ran it but I think it was at Ballymore Queensland.

When do they announce the Academy teams/squads?

With recent managerial changes at ARU and fall out from JRWC performance, what is the inside story on the Academy structures? Staying National or reverting to a Soup Franchise based model.

Last year the U19s Academy side played on the October long weekend at Ballymore whilst the U17s played further up the coast in a weird round robin (half games) with various State teams.

I heard a game for NSW under 17s being planned for ACT this year - ? about same time. The cone of silence seems to be lifting as there were mumblings last weekend by one of the coaches of "selections"to his Colts team. Nothing definitive though nor did he expand - I guess it is watch this space!

Tah and feathered

Watty Friend (18)
L
Southern have Norths Randwick And Uni in 3 of the final 4 rounds. It will be interesting to see how they go and take this as a measure of their strength come semi time
Looking at Souths score beating Penrith 102 to 7 I think they have momentum and with 4 quality players to come into the team that played Manly they also have belief and hunger.
The Norths game will tell a lot

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Will wessels play colts this year or is he playing Grade? I see Grayson Hart played first grade last week.

And my apologies it does indeed seem to be a top 8 semi set-up

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Every year for the past 4 years I think there has been U17 games against ACT and Qld. the ACT game is usually played in August with the QLD game in October. Theer has also been u15 games.

Last year there was an U19 game undertaken for the first time in a while with the opportunity to look at players who were eligible for u20's selection this year (NSW won by the way with David Horowitz playing especially well). No Academy players were involved. Don't know if any games are being played this year.

As for the Academy set up from what I have been told the National Academy is no more with the ARU giving the Academies back to the states. There is a stumbling block in that the ARU wants the States to fund it and the States insisting that the ARU must assist with the funding. Negotiations are still taking place

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
What does Manly do for the Roos,Raiders or Harlequins?

Manly doing what it does with the Juniors;
Newly revived academy team taken down by Northern Irish visitors

Not unlike the Lions, but more frequently, The Royal School Dungannon from Northern Ireland, visits our shores. There is a tradition whereby they play a Manly Academy side on a Tour which includes games in New Zealand.
In 2008, The Royal School played an Academy XV side consisting of players like Michael Hooper, Tom Kingston, Pete Gilmore, Dan Alley, Adam Crerar, BJ Hartmann etc. Needless to say, we won.
The current first grade Colts team is the beneficiary of the Academy from a number of years back. However, for a number of years the Academy disappeared!
Thanks to David Begg, Phil Brand, Allan Dodd and Jono Harvey, with the support of the MRFC Board, the Academy concept was revived in 2013.
An Academy made up of Under 15 - 17 players from all the Village clubs has been revived under a Coaching Team of Jono Harvey, Dane Maraki and Reece Hodge (assisted by Guest Coaches at various times); the identified players in this Age Group enjoyed weekly skills and drills sessions.
Earlier in the year an Academy XV played a game against a visiting Southland Boys High School Team from NZ.
It was wonderful, therefore, to be able to afford the Academy members the opportunity to have another game - this time against a team from Northern Ireland!
Our team on Saturday consisted of a number of players from our Academy, some as young as 15, some from the MJRU Under 17's which won the State Championships and some young players who were not starting for 3rd Grade Colts this week.
It was a competitive game played in a great spirit, with the Northern Irish being better structured in the set piece and demonstrating the support play which emanates from being a Touring Side, winning the game 27-19.
The Manly team competed well with our relative advantage being in the backs. Best and Fairest Points were awarded to our Numbers 7, 9 and 15.
This was the continuation of a great tradition and, during the post-match function in the George Smith Room, MRFC (and, specifically our Academy) was invited to tour Northern Ireland and be hosted by The Royal School Dungannon who would organise another 4-5 games for us! It would be a great outcome if this were to be achieved in years to come!
Overall, a great initiative! Rugby was the winner on the day but it would be hoped that some of the players who competed for the Academy team will, in the future, progress to Colts and then onward to Grade imbued, through the Academy Program, with all the skills required!

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Terrific,but not really in the context of my question was it?
The original point was in regards to your statement that the emu's have done nothing about setting up a junior base,and should any body do anything to help them.
Your immediate response was much more to the point.
Manly did in fact encourage those behind the rebirth of Allambie.
So about the same as Penrith I suppose?
Maintaining a junior base and setting up a junior base are entirely different beasts IMO.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Terrific,but not really in the context of my question was it?
The original point was in regards to your statement that the emu's have done
Maintaining a junior base and setting up a junior base are entirely different beasts IMO.

I like to watch, appreciate your response. Like my response to yours I don't think either of us hit the appropriate mark it was intent for. Manly takes notice of their juniors! There is a talent pool out west, how do we capitalise? Hugh Jarse as has posted considerable information on ideas, and options - some can be achieved, some pipe dreams that we can all have.

I don't have a solution for out west, I'd just hate to see any investment not provide a return - that simple.

Cheers

Doofus

Peter Burge (5)
Southern have Norths Randwick And Uni in 3 of the final 4 rounds. It will be interesting to see how they go and take this as a measure of their strength come semi time

Update 20 July 2013 : Not a pretty game - Southern Districts beat Norths at home this afternoon by ten points. Not a bad performance considering they had two yellow cards that left them down a man for half the second term.

Not sure of the reason why Sydney Uni only beat Penrith 28 zip (whilst their seconds thumped them 108 to 0)???

Perhaps keeping their strength for Norths next week? I hear their try machine HCR (16 ytd) is injured - but I know they have many other talented players ready to take his place!!

Congratulations to Southern Districts 2nd colts - today - if they had had another 10 minutes they would have piled on another seventeen points!! Didn't win but the spirit was there though.

Re Grayson Hart - one of the players told me he had his last game last week and was off to Scotland (not sure how reliable this is though). Waldo played well today for Colts 1st Grade - be a shame if he didn't play through now. Little puzzled with Alan Allatoa (A U20s) said to be starting in 4th grade today.

Nos Tradamus

Frank Nicholson (4)
clean sweep Manly over Easts. 1s up 52-0, 2s not sure, 3s 31-29 saved by a penalty off the upright and a kick to draw about a foot wide of the mark.

Doofus

Peter Burge (5)
28 - 0 is a score usually reserved for a Forfeit.

Cheers that makes sense.

When Penrith played Southern Districts last week - pretty sure the seconds backed up for the firsts - 180 minutes of union can take its toll.

Still managed this with good humour - to delight the crowd with dig-eri-doo playing with the corner posts whilst waiting a conversion attempt.

Doofus

Peter Burge (5)
At another level - I think Southern Districts last few games will be good for them. I wouldn't like Parramatta's draw - especially as they have played the top four teams once this year. (Southern will have played the top four twice). Except for Warringah they have a reasonable run to the finals. Then it is reality check - whoever they meet from the leading sides.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
28 - 0 is a score usually reserved for a Forfeit.

It was a forfeit but with an unfortunate story attached.

I suggested on another thread that the ARU or SRU should pay a coach of professional standard a decent salary package to take on the role of full time Director of Rugby at Penrith. Actually I suggested it should be a Director of Rugby/First Grade Coach, but having watched Penrith Firsts today I see no particular reason to replace the Firsts Coach. But the Club urgently needs to be provided with some real rugby expertise with a commitment of at least three years. Really poor training attendance indicates that morale at the Club is currently very low.

It would be a tragedy if this large centre of population and potential rugby talent were to be abandoned.

forwards4ever

Jimmy Flynn (14)
It was a forfeit but with an unfortunate story attached.

I suggested on another thread that the ARU or SRU should pay a coach of professional standard a decent salary package to take on the role of full time Director of Rugby at Penrith. Actually I suggested it should be a Director of Rugby/First Grade Coach, but having watched Penrith Firsts today I see no particular reason to replace the Firsts Coach. But the Club urgently needs to be provided with some real rugby expertise with a commitment of at least three years. Really poor training attendance indicates that morale at the Club is currently very low.

It would be a tragedy if this large centre of population and potential rugby talent were to be abandoned.

It's particularly tragic when you consider they have a great U17s group, that you would hope filter through to colts next year!

Rugby Winner

Bob McCowan (2)
Update 20 July 2013 : Not a pretty game - Southern Districts beat Norths at home this afternoon by ten points. Not a bad performance considering they had two yellow cards that left them down a man for half the second term.

Waldo played well today for Colts 1st Grade - be a shame if he didn't play through now. Little puzzled with Alan Allatoa (A U20s) said to be starting in 4th grade today.
I thought the entire team played well. With some average refereering, boys did well to keep up the momentum and keep the pressure on. Will be unfortunate to loose Waldo. Do u mean he may play up in grade?

Status
Not open for further replies.