• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Commentators

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
what a joy to get some serious commentary and more importantly in depth analysis between games on beIn sport. Justin Harrison has some serious rugby smarts and the ability to clearly elucidate them. Makes the gibberish dealt up on Fox look like 3 year olds discussing ice cream flavours.
The guys doing France v All Blacks (whoever they were) were unbareable and were on mute as quick as any of the guys in any sport in Australia - so they are not getting it all right on BeIn

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
The comms on the England v Argentina game were trying to set a benchmark for ass-kissing with respect to anything English, but they did it with such nice accents, it almost sounded like they weren't. One of them sounded like he needed a post-coital smoke after discussing the England bench.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I actually thought James Horwill sounded quite good as well.

I agree - except for everything being explained on the basis of the picture the ref wanted to see, mind you that provides a better explanation for what goes on at scrum time than any analysis by reference to the laws as written can do.

T

TOCC

Can’t say I’m a fan of Drew Mitchell, too his credit he is trying to be more serious and talk about the technicalities of the game rather then his usual larrakin persona, but it just seems a little forced and the cringe worthy comments still emerge.. having a joke about the ‘players touching each other’... school yard jokes

D

daz

yeah that's Robbie Nock who IS hopeless

Harsh. I thoroughly enjoy Robbie’s commentary. Given he is sitting in a tiny room watching the same feed you are, and trying not to miss anything whilst constantly switching French to English, I’d say he is doing a great job.

Knows the names, knows the moves, knows the comp. Passionate Welsh lad as well.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Can’t say I’m a fan of Drew Mitchell, too his credit he is trying to be more serious and talk about the technicalities of the game rather then his usual larrakin persona, but it just seems a little forced and the cringe worthy comments still emerge.. having a joke about the ‘players touching each other’. school yard jokes

Cannon was terrible too.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
Gordy bray has joined the abc radio coverage of super rugby. Apologies if covered earlier

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
One thing that pretty much all the commentators are doing is talking down foul play incidents and suggesting they shouldn't or won't be a red card or even a yellow card.

I get it when they are making a call in real time but once they're looking at the various replays and knowing that these interpretations have been in place for over a year it is incredibly unhelpful for everyone when they keep trying to say they weren't very bad and shouldn't be a card.

They need to commentate things based on the laws of the game and how they are enforced, not trying to argue that the outcome should be something different because they don't agree with the laws.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
One thing that pretty much all the commentators are doing is talking down foul play incidents and suggesting they shouldn't or won't be a red card or even a yellow card.

I get it when they are making a call in real time but once they're looking at the various replays and knowing that these interpretations have been in place for over a year it is incredibly unhelpful for everyone when they keep trying to say they weren't very bad and shouldn't be a card.

They need to commentate things based on the laws of the game and how they are enforced, not trying to argue that the outcome should be something different because they don't agree with the laws.
Please just send this whole thing to Justin Marshall.

"Yeah, nothing in that. Just a warning"

<<red card>>
marshall1_zpskyxmcpuj.jpg

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
For I dunno how long, Clarkey has given me the shits when he drags out the "Meat Pie" comment.

Grow up Greg, it's not funny anymore !

It's like a comedian never changing his gags.

OldColt

Sydney Middleton (9)
After watching the U20s game this morning, I have to say that Sean Moloney is the reigning champion of crap commentators - his commentary is amateurish, ill-informed and disrespectful - these young blokes are among the best rugby players in the world in their age-group, and he can’t even be bothered learning how to pronounce their names correctly! I’m constantly amazed by the way he says the names of the Pacific Islander players as though he’s just taking the piss - Sama Malolo and Esei Ha’angana would be quite within their rights to belt him if they ever came face-to-face with him.

Status
Not open for further replies.