• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Conferences

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ali's Choice

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Yeah really looking forward to seeing the Lions play. Have heard so much about them during the CC, but didn't watch much of them play. Given that the depth of country's usually stays fairly static, I wonder if their rise will coincide with the decline of previously strong South African teams? Certainly the conference dictates that as one team in a country gets stronger, other teams in that same conference are likely to weaken or at the very least lose more games. Would be great for the comp to have a strong Lions teams. And would create yet another hellish away game at altitude for touring NZ and Aussie teams.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Dunno about the other conferences, watch the Lions in 2012.

My gut feeling:
SA = Lions
NZ = Chiefs
Aus = Tahs

Hope we'll get competitive conferences to get the best 6 teams in the business end.

Your prediction for SA matches mine Paarl, so its obviously inspired. :) Seriously, you have a good understanding of the SA scene, so I am interested that you think the Lions will supplant the Stormers. I know that the Stormers have botched their backline by failing to turn over their older players and regenerating stocks but the forward pack is still very strong. If the Lions can get over them in the constant pressure that is Super rugby they will be formidable indeed. I suspect the Bulls could prop up the SA comp this year, they will be rebuilding for next year I think.

The NZ conference will be the most interesting. The Blues are very strong on paper (they are every year), the Crusader production line still continues to pour out class players like Todd, Highlanders have the best coach in Jamie Joseph and have some good recruits but thin depth and the Canes are a train wreck. I cannot see the Chiefs as any better than 4th, they still don't have the forwards to match the top teams. You don't get to the top without enough quality in the pack.

I hope you're right about the Tahs and I expect them to nudge out the Reds on the table. I think the smokey in the Oz conference is the Force, who could be anything. Their pack is very strong and if they keep Stannard at 10 they might turn a lot of teams over. They only lack self belief. The Rebels and the Brumbies will be better than last year but still bring up the rear.

I expect the Oz and SA conferences to be stronger than last year and the NZ conference to be a bit weaker. Overall, I expect the whole comp to be better than 2011 with very few easy games for anyone. Picking a potential winner at this stage is almost impossible with all the vagaries of chance and injury.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Yeah really looking forward to seeing the Lions play. Have heard so much about them during the CC, but didn't watch much of them play. Given that the depth of country's usually stays fairly static, I wonder if their rise will coincide with the decline of previously strong South African teams? Certainly the conference dictates that as one team in a country gets stronger, other teams in that same conference are likely to weaken or at the very least lose more games. Would be great for the comp to have a strong Lions teams. And would create yet another hellish away game at altitude for touring NZ and Aussie teams.
Thats the thing about the Lions, Mitchell has build a bunch of no names into a strong unit. They (and the Sharks) have the better fixture list compare to the Stormer/Cheetahs and the Brutes are at the start of rebuilding with Meyer.

Chiefs and Tahs are my heart picks.

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
qwerty51 said:
I'm surprised most people don't rate the Lions. They won the Currie Cup in commanding fashion, beating Springbok-laden WP (Stormers) and Sharks sides. Elton Jantjes looks a different player under the guidance of Spencer and with a boot to match Steyn. Jaco Taute has established himself as the top fullback in South Africa and the rest of the backline oozes talent, they will have the most backline Boks in 2012. Forward pack performs very well under Mitchell. They had some close losses in the conference games last year and with renewed confidence should be able to knock their fellow countrymen over a few times. You already saw improvement last year with away wins over the Brumbies and Highlanders.
Can't say that I agree with the Lions being a threat. As mentioned by Forcefield the Currie Cup has never been the best yardstick for performances in Super Rugby.

I do agree with you regarding the Bulls and Sharks. The Bulls have lost Matfield, Botha, du Preez, Gary Botha etc. and they have a new coach in Pine Pienaar and had a rather dismal Currie Cup to their standards (not sure if Pine Pienaar will be Super Rugby coach as well). In addition they've gotten Pierre Spies as captain and I just don't see him as much of a leader. He goes missing in tight games already.

So to conclude, I think the Lions will do OK but not that great.

sudrugby

Watty Friend (18)
AUS:
-----
1- Reds
2- Waratahs
3- Force
4- Brumbies
5- Rebels

NZ:
---
1- Highlanders