• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Cooper - Good or Great rugby player - discuss.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
I would like to see Quade brought into the Wallaby leadership group. I think is is natural to include the 10 given his role but Cooper is proven to play much better when given extra responsabillity. This was crucial at the Reds and no coincidence why they played an effective game to maximise his freakish talent. Besides his natural ability is a very astute rugby brain.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
I would like to see Quade brought into the Wallaby leadership group. I think is is natural to include the 10 given his role but Cooper is proven to play much better when given extra responsabillity. This was crucial at the Reds and no coincidence why they played an effective game to maximise his freakish talent. Besides his natural ability is a very astute rugby brain.

Too soon, I think. He still has a long way to go in his maturation as a a player.

Then again, if he is a competent leader already, he'll be a part of the unofficial leadership group within the team as it is.

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)

I couldn't think of anything worse for the young chap or the Wallabies.

If he needs more responsiblity than running pivot for the Wallabies in a Bledisloe & knockout world cup at 23 years of old to excel, then he's got to be a once in a lifetime type of leader.... and he doesn't look anything like that to me.

I'm sure he'll retire as one of the games greats (if he sticks with union), but I don't think it's his time to be viewed as senior Wallaby, yet.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
If he stays with union it will be amazing to watch him when he starts losing speed and can't use the fancy footwork, his passing and ability to read the game and make good decisions will probably be unmatched.

M

Motorboater

Another factor that should be taken into account is that he's a young fellow coming to the end of a very long season. It doesn't matter the code, but these less experienced guys get burnt out quite easily. Given the sharp jump in Super games, in which he played every one, it wouldn't be surprising.

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
Can we get Kieran Foran to do a reverse Thorn and take the idiots spot.
That no look pass was irresponsible at best.

Oldpig

Stan Wickham (3)
Again, I ask the simple question. Can we afford to have QC (Quade Cooper) running on next week? For all those Reds fans, yes he was good this yr but this is a world cup, not S15 & QC (Quade Cooper) has not delivered the goods so far so can we please stop pretending that he is going to pull a rabbit out of his arse any time soon and get on with working out who is going to do the better job @ 10 (my vote or Barnes). Tonight he was s@#$ in both defense and attack, as someone else said he looked like a deer in the head lights. The big arena really scares the shit out of him and I think the whole bad boy image has f@#$ him up big time. To RD, what are you waiting for ........... a bloody miracle? I wont happen at this world cup so please stop pretending you know how to win this one and just put the best 15 on the paddock next week and ask them to do their best. I know I will be happy if this was to happen, win or lose. But if I have to endure another crappy game like today with QC (Quade Cooper) pretending to be rugby player then I'll have to adopt my other 1/2s birth right and support the Italians next time. I'm sure I'm not along on this one. Can someone tell me how long after the game did QC (Quade Cooper) tweet and what he said because if he thinks this is winning him any friends then he is a very shallow and misguided individual. There, I've got that off my already heaving chest and hopefully I can sleep easy tonight. Buona notte.

P

pete88

I'd say replying to everyone who tweets at him IS actually winning him friends.

Do you think Barnes performing well against America, Russia and amateur/semi-pro Sydney club sides makes him an obvious better choice? You might well be right, but I don't think it's as clear cut as you say. Barnes has fluffed his lines in Gold plenty of times.

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
I'd say replying to everyone who tweets at him IS actually winning him friends.

Do you think Barnes performing well against America, Russia and amateur/semi-pro Sydney club sides makes him an obvious better choice? You might well be right, but I don't think it's as clear cut as you say. Barnes has fluffed his lines in Gold plenty of times.

I blame coach and management for the way they are handling him. It was a disaster to tell the public over there that he didn't care. It's bleeding obvious he does. Getting booed every time you touch the ball and laughed at for every mistake is not fair on him. Should have been playing an outside half in tandem with him to give some relief. If management not careful you'll lose him.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)

I think quade cooper is the shane warne of australian rugby. Brilliant mind for the game, but not the smartest bloke who ever lived off the field.

I agree he should be bought into the leadership group purely for his tactical mind. I dont know how it works at the moment in camp wallaby, but it would be absolute madness to not include quade in the gameplan discussion talks. It would amount to waugh and ponting setting fields for warne without consulting him.

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
I think quade cooper is the shane warne of australian rugby. Brilliant mind for the game, but not the smartest bloke who ever lived off the field.

I agree he should be bought into the leadership group purely for his tactical mind. I dont know how it works at the moment in camp wallaby, but it would be absolute madness to not include quade in the gameplan discussion talks. It would amount to waugh and ponting setting fields for warne without consulting him.

Think youboys should suggest this loudly to anyone in ARC who will listen. It's really good idea and will make him feel part of the setup. There's a real danger of him being on his own.

Other thing is that he might have another shocker next weekend and Aus might lose. It's really important that he's not made the scapegoat for what have been some godawful management and coaching decisions.

vidiot

John Solomon (38)
Ewan McKenzie on QC (Quade Cooper), I think a not too subtle dig at Dingo (by his standards):

McKenzie said he had not doubt Cooper would return to his attacking best on Sunday against the All Blacks.

"It's not Quade's fault. He didn't miss five lineout throws," McKenzie said.

"He made two try saving tackles and generally defended well.

"I'm sure he would be the first to admit he didn't have his best game.

"But before you criticise Quade you have to find out what was he asked to do?

"I'm not criticising anyone, but that's a question that has to be asked if you are talking about Quade's performance.

"I don't know what their (Wallabies) game plan was. It changed from their previous game.

"You really need to drill down and ask, what was the game plan?

"The Wallabies had no ball and no territory. Its difficult for a five-eighth to have an impact without the ball."

McKenzie said rugby fans and the media had short-term memories.

"It's easy to throw bricks at people after they have one poor game," he said.

"A lot of people are judging him at the moment over one game.

"He's human. He backs himself and that's why he's an X-factor in big games.

"He will definitely bounce back. I have no doubt."

McKenzie said he would not be calling Cooper to offer advice this week.

"I have wished him well a few times and talked to him on Twitter but I'm not having talks with him," he said.

"I feel for him a bit. He takes pride in his work."

chasmac

Dave Cowper (27)
Mackenzie always has a sensible view on things. I have been of the opinion that the lineout debacle has been glossed over and that Vickerman, Horwill, Samo and Moore have got off lightly in terms of criticism. If anything, fans have ben criticising the props for quiet games but the scrum gained parity.

But, you shouldn't get a 22 restart charged down...

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Criticising Jim Williams makes the most sense.

Precisely. This consistent inconsistency in line out work often with multiple negative outcomes is simply game-losing stuff. We were incredibly fortunate that in the QF other positive outcomes and skills just compensated for a shocking line out performance of the likes we have seen numerous times just this year, let alone last.

This continuing mediocrity is such a critical area of play is but one of the reasons that I say: in these Wallabies, we see superb individual talent, we see skill, we see courage, we see guts and determination, we see belief, but what we do not see, with the sole exception of defence, is any evidence of top-flight coaching that is embedding performance excellence in all key attributes of Wallaby play.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
... and whilst Phil Blake is getting praise heaped on him as the defensive coach, do you think he is to blame for the chip kicks?

[video=youtube;j7liz82AYY0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7liz82AYY0[/video]
[video=youtube;BAWqpO5_c_U]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAWqpO5_c_U[/video]

T

tblackadder

he 100% saved one try (which could have been decisive) and nothing he did lead to points against aust - so on that basis hes ahead - even in that game

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Bh81 - loved those clips - if only KB (Kurtley Beale) and QC (Quade Cooper) were as skilled at it, or so fortunate with their chips! (But maybe there's 20 Blake clips where it failed ;-) )

Seriously, I am aghast that the Wallaby coaches have not forbidden _any_ back, especially the prime sinner at the reckless short grubber or chip KB (Kurtley Beale), for ever delivering the chip or grubber unless the space ahead is so open and with support in place that it's a high, not extremely low, % play. But, no, that's too much to expect, let's just trust our dazzling Xs to do their magic unencumbered, and so this stupid tactic has gone on and on. It even upsets Kearnsey.

Status
Not open for further replies.