• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Craft beer thread

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Well McLaren/Vale Beer/Company have put together some sort of sponsorship package to help Gagger run this site.

It behoves us then to at least try some of the sponsors product.

What I have found out so far:

Just click on the sponsors logo on the forum home page or go to www.mvbeer.com (web site is down ATM)

You can get it at most Dan Murphys and other grog superbarns.

It is on tap at a variety of unspecified places. Not spotted by me yet.

Vale Ale has quickly established itself and its brewery, the McLaren Vale Beer Company, as leaders in the craft beer scene in Australia. Winner of many awards including a trophy at the Australian International Beer Awards in 2008, Vale Ale is a bottle-conditioned fruity pale ale that has a lovely soft bitterness and a surprisingly dry finish.

http://danmurphys.com.au/product/DM_355041/mclaren-vale-ale-beer
Dan Murphy Price $65.99 per case of 24.
$12.90 for pack of 4
$4 per bottle.

Liquor Style: Pale Ale
Size: 330mL
Brewer: Jeff Wright
Brewery: McLaren Vale Beer Company
International Bittering Units: 25
Standard Drinks: 1.2
Alcohol by volume: 4.5%
Web Site" www.mvbeer.com

The Pale Ale is a "session" beer - can easily have a few. The IPA is good, but more for a tasting, I think. I don't think I tried the Lager, but others did. The Cider, if you like cider, was very fresh.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I like it but have you tried this stuff:
http://www.budejovickybudvar.cz/en/index.html

I went on both those brewery tours back in '05. At the time I was more in favour of the Budweiser/Budvar even though their tour was conducted in German.

Went back last year and drank a lot more Urquell though. Might need to have a rematch between them tomorrow night.

Tried some Hahn Premium this week after not having any for years as its now badged as a Pils. Didn't seem to have as much flavour as it used to & the Radeberger I was tasting it with was going down better.

Might have to get a Pale Ale session in with Vale, Burleigh, Coopers and 1 more in the contest.

Sydney Beer Fans should get along to the beer festival at the Australian Heritage Hotel each October. It kicks arse.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Woolloomooloo Bay Hotel Stocks Vale Beer on tap.

The Vale Dark Lager was well received by the shout, but I thought it was a little too sweet.

The Vale Lager was very likeable, but the palate was cactus by the stage we moved on to that after a fairly big afternoon.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Scored some Vale India Pale Ale for Dad's Day.

Very nice drop. I'd go back for more.

Nice sponsors for Gaggerland.

Nearly all beer into Chez Jarse is craft beer. Very little mass produced product from the major breweries.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
The Vale Pale is my fave. Pretty much perfect drop

I've got a list of pubs where you can get Vale on tap coming and maybe even a discount deal on some bottles PLUS a competition to win a 100 schooners for your club coming....stay tuned

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
The Vale Pale is my fave. Pretty much perfect drop

I've got a list of pubs where you can get Vale on tap coming and maybe even a discount deal on some bottles PLUS a competition to win a 100 schooners for your club coming..stay tuned

Any of those pubs in the vicinity of Suncorp Stadium Gagger? Bought a carton of the Pale Ale for my "work" last week.

Full of flavour which could be too much for some but a good beer to sip on if you're having a few quiet ones.

Will have to give the Lager a crack at some stage too.

As a side note, we also went through a carton of the Icelandic 'Viking Pilsner' that's now in Dan Murphys. Fairly unremarkable. Smooth & easy drinking which is really code for not much flavour, though you could slam a lot of it in a hurry if you were running a 'beer mile' or something similar.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Had some folk over last night and did a bit of an impromptu Vale India Pale Ale promotion which ultimately resulted in the Mancave fridge being emptied of all stocks the Vale IPA. :(

I can report that several gatherings tonight to watch the footy and "celebrate" the election will be fueled by Vale India Pale Ale. The Gaggerland sponsorship is paying off.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
The one beer I keep going back to is Little Creatures Pale Ale.

Tried one of the Vale beers a few years ago and enjoyed it. Will have a grab the Pale Ale to support GAGR (any excuse will do).

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
4-20Pines-20Kolsch-Product-20Shot.png

4 Pines Kolsch - 4 Pines Brewing Company, Manly

Nice aroma and light pale colour.
Slight fruity flavour.

The barman "suggested" that it was a lager/Pilsener blend.
I thought it a bit too much lager and not enough Pilsener.

Fairly run of the mill and if the price is right at a big bottleshop, it's worth getting some to throw in the beer fridge.
Drinkable but not my new favourite.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
I tried Vale Ale for the first time yesterday - it has a rather fruity (behave yourselves) flavour.

Probably a beer for a warm-hot day.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Don't panic Gagger, there is still a 12 pack of Vale IPA in the Man Cave.

Today's journey to the Bottlo resulted in a purchase of Murray's Libertine French Ale.
http://www.murraysbrewingco.com.au/our_beers/our_beers_detail.php?The-Natural-34

I have never heard of French Ale before and at first tasting (before purchase) I was not entirely convinced that this was "the one". It is "different" and certainly a distinctive flavour from the usual run of the mill lagers and ales going around.

Good for an sunny spring afternoon outside by the pool with family and friends while the Mexicans celebrate some festival of some description.

Murray's is a mob from Port Stephens and worthy of a vote for supporting the local product.

A legal age Junior Jarse likes it. La Jarse didn't Like it. I do. That gets the Murrays Libertine French Ale a Jarse rating of 66% which is a Credit mark for the tertiary educated folk.

A 1.9 litre Growler of this product goes for about $40. A bit on the high side but that is the price you have to pay to support small business in Australia.

I'd buy it again.

Vanuatu Chiefs

Sydney Middleton (9)
Have long been a sucker for the Coopers' product. Outstanding. More a pale ale man these days (I think it was the "Drink Drank Drunk" guys years ago who christened it the "thinking man's session brew" which has always appealed to my pretensions) after having been a bit greedy with the red tops over the years.

Was fortunate enough to travel through the Czech Republic in the early 90s and gave the original Budvar v Pilsner Urquell a bit of a nudge with a leaning towards Urquell.

In addition to Coopers, on my visits to Sydney I'm a big fan of Squire's "One Fifty Lashes", enjoyable from the bottle and exceptional on tap.

PS. Was reading one of those celebrity shopping trolley type articles last week which featured Eamon Sullivan. His brew of choice is Sierra Nevada Pale Ale which I'm yet to try. Any reviews?

Wheatman

Chris McKivat (8)
Damn you gents and your local boutique beer shops. It's bloody hard to get much but your standard brews out here, unless you pay through the nose or are heading east and have room on the way back.

Current favourites are the James Squires Sundowner Ale & 150 Lashes Pale Ale - in fridge at the moment. Although my tastes will vary from a good stout to a crisp pilsner depending on the day and location - will always try the pub or local home brew/special (where available) when travelling. Made for surprising good drinking in the Mid West USA recently. Will definitely give the Vale a go when next near a decent bottle-o. Used to be a big fan of the Bohemian Pilsner - but only seem to come across this in Eumundi of all places.