• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Cricket Summer 2023-24

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Tim Southee must have the lowest successful DRS % of any Test captain ever. That was always going over the top & it's by no means his dumbest review of the season let alone his captaincy.

Top knock from Green, the kind of innings that can cement a batter's place in the side long-term.

Sword of Justice

Bill McLean (32)
WOB - Yep, I’d suggest he’s bought himself at least a year. Hopefully it’s moot and he goes on to other big innings soon.

Frankly there are more eyes on Marnus now. Also Smith, but not his spot, his position. There’s a neat solution there if Marnus isn’t careful. I wouldn’t drop Marnus given his class (equal 2nd fastest to 3000 runs) but I would say that because I’m a chosen one (Queenslander).

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Big Cam you bloody legend! We've been waiting for an innings like that from the young fella. Hopefully this is the kick along he needs to cement that middle order spot.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Tim Southee must have the lowest successful DRS % of any Test captain ever. That was always going over the top & it's by no means his dumbest review of the season let alone his captaincy.

I haven't seen it but at 8 wickets down with 2 reviews remaining I'm not sure you can be too critical of it.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^ oh I'm pretty sure I can, it wasn't even close & even he seemed to acknowledge that initially before deciding to roll the dice with stumps approaching & the new ball only just taken. His judgment of when to review is just terrible: when he got a successful one v SA recently I remember one of the comms saying is was just his third as captain & he's had runs of 24 & 18 consecutive unsuccessful reviews.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Would be interesting to know how many are when he has been bowling.

In my view the keeper is the most important person in the process so unless they're being completely ignored then that element of it needs to improve.

There's also clearly people in every team (bowlers and fielders) who need to be routinely ignored when it comes to calling for the review.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Would be interesting to know how many are when he has been bowling.

In my view the keeper is the most important person in the process so unless they're being completely ignored then that element of it needs to improve.

There's also clearly people in every team (bowlers and fielders) who need to be routinely ignored when it comes to calling for the review.

1. I doubt even cricinfo can generate that stat but I suspect it's disproportionate to his turned-down appeals v those of other bowlers.

2. Absolutely but Blundell isn't as voluble* as Watling was & I've seen Southee flat out ignore him only for him to be proven right as to missing leg or going ott, both of which should defo be keeper's call.

3. Agreed again but it's tough when the worst judge of a review happens to have the * beside his name.

*Edit: forceful is probably a better word: BJ could be quite insistent if he thought it wasn't worth reviewing, Blundell tends to give his opinion then butt out.

Last edited:

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Earlier I was going to respond something snarky about him probably getting out for 12(40). Happy to be very wrong, good prediction, good innings, good Green.
Not gonna lie. I nailed it. Convinced I jinxed it at the time. Even calling Marnus and Head to fail. Marsh getting out to a big shot…

NZ just be disappointed. Had Australia on the ropes and looking like a 175-200 score.

Smith starting to open up the shots again which is good to see. Been a while since we had a partnership that at least chew through some clock.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Green is moving around the crease like a relieved guy. Owning the responsibility with the tail is showing his natural ability and dropped the nerves.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Not as down the ground but I can’t help but see a bit of Matthew Hayden in him. Big man moving the feet down the wicket.

If you’re not express pace it’s hard to threaten them with the ability to hit most short balls.

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
He didn't seem that comfortable with Hazlewood early on, but seems to now be letting him take his share of the bowling

Sword of Justice

Bill McLean (32)
Has the wicket flattened out? Are NZ going to post a big one?
Certainly seems that way. Green batted through the second ball when it was shiny pretty aggressively, he has 100 runs from boundaries with most coming after the new ball.

I would expect it to play slightly less seam friendly as it dries out.

Sword of Justice

Bill McLean (32)
In saying that the lengths have been poor from NZ. They haven’t been able to consistently attack the stumps or edges since the first 20 overs of yesterday. At their paces the shorter lengths are not threatening, especially to the tall Green.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Bowling like we have recently to the tail. Short stuff at Hazlewood and he's happy to let it go.

They still did a great job up until now but you cant help but think no real spinner hurts. Force Green to muscle it or beat the tail enders and bring stumpings into play.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Get around the big fella, this is magnificent. THIS is what we've been wanting from Cam: authority, technique, confidence. Once he realises how good he actually is he should devastate attacks all around the world.