• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Cricket Summer 2023-24

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Last ball of the day and Lyon dropped by Southee. What a day

Normally a safe pair of hands at third slip, that'll piss him off no end & hopefully inspire him to finally bowl at something like his best v Aus (avg v Aus is I think 15+ higher than his career average).

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Rain expected early- to mid-afternoon then clearing by early evening. Breeze building through the day to around 40kph.

TLDR: it's a lovely autumn day in Wellywood!

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The Demon Phillips, we call him...

Now has better First Class incl Test "Best Bowling" figures than Mitch Santner.

Worth noting that each innings total has been less than the previous one. 368 is gunna take some getting.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
We are basically carrying Smith, Labuschagne, and Head at the moment. So fucking frustrating.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Losing O'Rourke for CheeChee would be a huge blow given most of the alternatives are either also injured or have announced their retirement from international cricket. Maybe someone should ask Wags really nicely if he'd consider reconsidering...

Sword of Justice

Bill McLean (32)
We are basically carrying Smith, Labuschagne, and Head at the moment. So fucking frustrating.
Carey has been dire too but his glove work has been exemplary. As a former keeper I usually rankle at calls to drop a keeper for unders with the bat but it has been pretty abysmal. Who is the alternative? Inglis doesn’t even keep in the t20 side but I think that’s more about Wade.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Unless Phillips goes bonkers this is over before tea :(

Edit: make that lunch (& maybe without claiming the extra half-hour). Lyon 3/2 in 10 balls has properly fucked NZ.

Last edited:

Sword of Justice

Bill McLean (32)
I don't think it was as dominant a win as it may seem. Without Green we do not win that match imo. NZ unlucky with injuries during and in the lead up to the game.

In saying that the Black Caps' fielding, selections and attitude with bat left a lot to be desired and the NZ SEN commentators were rightly ropable. Southee's wicket was a poor example to his team, especially. How Young and Williamson managed to concoct that run out in front of their home fans when the game was still very open is an embarrassment.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Was it here I read that Glen Phillips bowling averages now better then Santner their full time spinner?

Phillips 16 at 16.00 best 5/45

Santner 53 at 39.24 best 3/34

I think we may have seen the last of Santner in Tests for a while.

Lyon just the third spinner to take 10 at the Basin. Vettori & Murali both took 10 in the 2006 Test.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Injury dependant for him but 600 wickets is completely on for Lyon. 527 currently.

I assume he is one of them eying the home Ashes. How many Tests by the end of that? 15... 4-5 wickets a game gets him to the number.

The Gary statue is going to be incredible.

Sword of Justice

Bill McLean (32)
Injury dependant for him but 600 wickets is completely on for Lyon. 527 currently.

I assume he is one of them eying the home Ashes. How many Tests by the end of that? 15... 4-5 wickets a game gets him to the number.

The Gary statue is going to be incredible.
Hopefully it will be his lbw appeal stance down on one knee and arms eagled. Honestly I think he’d be able to pass Warne if he keeps going. He’s getting better.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Young quick Ben Sears called in to replace O'Rourke. Looked promising in the T20's, hopefully he can give the Aus top order a hurry up at Hagley.