• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Cricket Summer 2023-24

Agent

Bill Watson (15)
This one was really ugly.

It's so hard to see how this can be resolved without him ceasing to play elite cricket. We've just got through a run of him playing consecutive matches and hitting some decent form and now we're back at square one.

Its very sad for the young fella but that ball hit him at about chest height and it could be argued that he accidently ducked into it. That delivery didn't seem to be that vicious, especially for someone playing at that level and a bloke that top scored in the first innings and scored a hundred in his last match. I wonder what his future holds and how long he can keep going which is a great shame.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Its very sad for the young fella but that ball hit him at about chest height and it could be argued that he accidently ducked into it. That delivery didn't seem to be that vicious, especially for someone playing at that level and a bloke that top scored in the first innings and scored a hundred in his last match. I wonder what his future holds and how long he can keep going which is a great shame.

It was pretty short. I think it didn't get up nearly as high as it would have initially looked like it was going to plus it tailed in creating the bad outcome.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I think he's a great talent and I don't like seeing peoples agency taken away from them, but someone needs to have a word with young Will and advise him to give it away. I'd hate to see a situation like a few ex-footballers who have suffered long term neurological damage and in the worst cases committed suicide because of it.

As hard as it was to watch Angus Brayshaw retire before this AFL season he's done the right thing by himself and his family. I think Will might have to do the same.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Poms lose 3/0 in 20-odd minutes & waste a review every time. Bairstow had to know he'd hit ball not the ground; the Stokes LBW should've been dead fucking obvious to his partner; and Root by his reaction clearly knew he was fucked but reviewed anyway.

We've gone from players reviewing because they believe they've been wrongly given out to reviewing on the off chance the ump has somehow erred. On the other side of the coin the act of appealing has gone from e.g. caught, lbw, etc to "please Sir, can you find a reason to give that out? 'cos we can't but we could really use a wicket right now".

Beginning to think BCCI were right to oppose the introduction of DRS, though not for the reasons stated at the time.

Sword of Justice

Bill McLean (32)
Poms lose 3/0 in 20-odd minutes & waste a review every time. Bairstow had to know he'd hit ball not the ground; the Stokes LBW should've been dead fucking obvious to his partner; and Root by his reaction clearly knew he was fucked but reviewed anyway.

We've gone from players reviewing because they believe they've been wrongly given out to reviewing on the off chance the ump has somehow erred. On the other side of the coin the act of appealing has gone from e.g. caught, lbw, etc to "please Sir, can you find a reason to give that out? 'cos we can't but we could really use a wicket right now".

Beginning to think BCCI were right to oppose the introduction of DRS, though not for the reasons stated at the time.
England seem to genuinely believe though.

Genuinely believe they are not out. Genuinely believe the DRS is a lottery. Genuinely believe they’ve been hard done by.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Here's an idea: lose the review & if you're the bowling side you get penalised an over in terms of your (probably abysmal) over rate; if you're batting the bowling side gains an over. Would reflect the time a frivolous review consumes & might act as a deterrent if the over rate issue is properly addressed.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Bazball is a cult, been saying it for over a year now. The leadership's unwillingness to accept evidence in front of them makes them borderline delusional at times.
I echo this 100% and have been since the Ashes where it was clear he'd cast a spell over the UK. It has aligned well for them with Stokes as the current Captain but I don't see the long term game with it. McCullum and Stokes are very strong personalities and I see nobody willing to stand up to them. I personally hope they get rolled endlessly between now and the Ashes with the occasional win to keep him in a job and then he gets skewered in Aus and half their squad have career ruining trips like many before.

They are going to have to develop a stable of elite Bowlers to back up this type of game.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Here's an idea: lose the review & if you're the bowling side you get penalised an over in terms of your (probably abysmal) over rate; if you're batting the bowling side gains an over. Would reflect the time a frivolous review consumes & might act as a deterrent if the over rate issue is properly addressed.
Don't mind it because I hate the frivolous ones but I also don't think the Umpires should be protected. Already are with the Umpires decision option. Sometimes a Captain gambles and it changes a game.

I've always thought if you're say 3 overs behind at the end of the day its 3 x Run Rate added to extras. Reviewing slows you down so it's something to think about but it also has a minor impact on the batting side to push the run rate. Other option is be swifter with suspensions. Fines don't bother these guys but losing Cummins would immensely suck.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Really disappointed in Ravindra so far, I was ready for him to really terrorise us. Seems to be the Next Big Thing but has melted easily.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Batters contribute to slow over rates too so it's challenging to put it all on the bowling side.

Umpires need to take better control of the game. This only happens at international level. Even at first class level they regularly get through more than 90 overs in a day inside the 6 hours.

At test level they often don't get through 90 overs in 6 and a half hours.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Bowling side can take control of it though if they are ready the batter has to be no matter what. Does need the Umpire to take control though. Warn the batters a couple of times and on a third warning you're out or even second warning.

No more swapping gloves if its not drinks or a pre determined break in play.

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)

Well, an appeal doesn't have to specify how the fielders think they're out - it's just a "howzat" - not "excuse me, I think that was caught sir, how's that?"

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
I echo this 100% and have been since the Ashes where it was clear he'd cast a spell over the UK. It has aligned well for them with Stokes as the current Captain but I don't see the long term game with it. McCullum and Stokes are very strong personalities and I see nobody willing to stand up to them. I personally hope they get rolled endlessly between now and the Ashes with the occasional win to keep him in a job and then he gets skewered in Aus and half their squad have career ruining trips like many before.

They are going to have to develop a stable of elite Bowlers to back up this type of game.
I hate to say this - but I think Bazball has really lost something since Broad retired.

They really need to find some good bowlers to replace both Broad and Old-man Anderson, as well as some other stock bowlers to fill out a squad. Not having an experienced spinner in India has cruelled them somewhat.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
How important is this 100 - whatever they end up going to be! EDIT (162) Something to bowl at which on this deck should suit Henry & Southee.

Game could have been over if they went under 125 mark but with Aus having to bat last they have kept themselves in it.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Gee that's a bad option from Smith. Got himself in knots.

Marnus looks completely lost to start. Its 142 which is quick but he's jumping around like its 155. We could easily be 3/50 if they stick to a length.