• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Crusaders v Reds, Round 11, 6 May 2016, AMI Stadium, Christchurch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simon.

Bob Loudon (25)
Funnily enough I put $5 on them at $8 too. Having seen how the Saders played against the Force and with Nadolo out, who knows what could happen?

That said, I still expect us to get thumped by 20+, but stranger things have happened. My bet on the Sunwolves to beat the Jaguares by 7+ came off at $11!

Goromaru definitely offers more on the bench when language isn't a barrier, but O'Conner has made it clear he considers the language barrier a deal-breaker. Which is unfortunate IMO. For the Reds, for Goru and for the poor bloody Japanese who took out Goromaru memberships and showed up to the first few home games. They must be feeling as ripped off as we did when the High Performance Review reappointed RG.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
St.George Queensland Reds side to play Crusaders
7:35pm (local), AMI Stadium, Christchurch
1. James Slipper (C)
2. Andrew Ready
3. Greg Holmes
4. Ben Matwijow
5. Rob Simmons
6. Hendrik Tui
7. Liam Gill
8. Curtis Browning
9. Nick Frisby (50th Queensland cap)
10. Jake McIntyre
11. Eto Nabuli
12. Anthony Fainga’a
13. Campbell Magnay
14. Chris Feauai-Sautia
15. Karmichael Hunt

16. Saia Fainga’a
17. Sef Fa’agase
18. Sam Talakai
19. Cadeyrn Neville
20. Michael Gunn
21. James Tuttle
22. Sam Greene
23. Junior Laloifi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jeeper

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Excited to see Big Red given an opportunity in his preferred position. Although the reds will lose a lot without Samu, Magnay adds a lot of pace and some very hard hitting defence.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
St.George Queensland Reds side to play Crusaders
7:35pm (local), AMI Stadium, Christchurch
1. James Slipper (C)
2. Andrew Ready
3. Greg Holmes
4. Ben Matwijow
5. Rob Simmons
6. Hendrik Tui
7. Liam Gill
8. Curtis Browning
9. Nick Frisby (50th Queensland cap)
10. Jake McIntyre
11. Eto Nabuli
12. Anthony Fainga’a
13. Campbell Magnay
14. Chris Feauai-Sautia
15. Karmichael Hunt

16. Saia Fainga’a
17. Sef Fa’agase
18. Sam Talakai
19. Cadeyrn Neville
20. Michael Gunn
21. James Tuttle
22. Sam Greene
23. Junior Laloifi

I find it puzzling that they keep picking Greene on the bench but rarely use him. Surely as a bench option we should be looking for more utility value or at least be looking to cover more positions?

My biggest criticism of the Reds currently is the use of the bench. I know we don't have a lot of depth but it was clearly evident at the World Cup, how using your reserves as 'finishers' can really add to a team's potential. It's like we are selecting the first XV and then hoping that they can play mostly 80 mins. We aren't going to improve the depth if we don't let the back ups get any game time.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Back reserves are quite light also! Positions 9-15 average weight......
Starting: 92kg
Reserve: 82kg

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
(Alalaatoa and the Crusaders scrum will come under a lot of heat. A lot of disrespect shown the Reds way with the saders' almost resting all those first choice players. )

man if that the Crusaders resting most of their first choice players they even stronger than we thought. Maybe an argument about Franks not starting, but rest of pack is pretty well first choice (mostly All Blacks) ,think I would play Barrett ahead of Romano, and apart from Crotty on bench in backs, I would say about their first choice players. Ellis seems to have slipped off pace a little this year at 9, so a reasonably strong team I think.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
I find it puzzling that they keep picking Greene on the bench but rarely use him. Surely as a bench option we should be looking for more utility value or at least be looking to cover more positions?

My biggest criticism of the Reds currently is the use of the bench. I know we don't have a lot of depth but it was clearly evident at the World Cup, how using your reserves as 'finishers' can really add to a team's potential. It's like we are selecting the first XV and then hoping that they can play mostly 80 mins. We aren't going to improve the depth if we don't let the back ups get any game time.

Agree with most Scoey.

Trouble with most of our bench is that they seem to be nowhere as good as the starters (whereas at RWC the bench were just as good or so close to it) I know it may not help depth but it may win us games.

The lack of time Greene has got puzzles me as well

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
I just want to see us make the Crusaders work hard for whatever result happens.

Week after week we have been making progress with the occasional stutter (like last weeks first half), but I would just like to see that trend continue.

I don't think these guys will let the game blow out.

Go reds.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Excited to see Big Red given an opportunity in his preferred position. Although the reds will lose a lot without Samu, Magnay adds a lot of pace and some very hard hitting defence.

Hope the lad uses his size and bulk to bash and crash trough the Saders backline, a bit like Kerevi

Good luck young fella

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Yep, size and genuine pace. If he uses those to create half gaps or half break the line and can link up with an offload to Nabuli and Hunt et al, then he'll do well.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Yep, size and genuine pace. If he uses those to create half gaps or half break the line and can link up with an offload to Nabuli and Hunt et al, then he'll do well.

Much more than well I think given Tevita who is undoubtedly a bigger, harder man couldn't make those gaps in this backline.

Simon.

Bob Loudon (25)
Tevita is, according to google, 3cm shorter than Magnay and only 4kg heavier! But you're right, our Ginger Ninja will have his work cut out for him in this game.

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)

"....lock, Sam Whitelock replaces Luke Romano in another All Black for All Black swap which comes across as just showing off now."

That's gold, mate!

Great preview but I can't agree with your "CruSadists by 25", I'm picking double figures but less than 20. New BP rule notwithstanding & as much as they'll deny it, I reckon they'll make sure the game's safe then back off a bit with an eye on next week's Battle of the South.

Status
Not open for further replies.