• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CruSadists v Reds 27/05/22 at A.R.S.E.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Screw your facts.

92-3 was how the game felt
If saders were on their game that 92-3 scoreline might have been a reality as reds did feel
749W.gif
maybe the reds could get a local priest to come in and offer some prayers for divine intervention.

as on reds recent form going to take a miracle for reds to win against the crusaders in the quarterfinal

Reactions: gel

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
The worst part of that tip tackle on Jordie is that it looks like he grabbed him by the balls.

Wouldn't have blamed him if he came up swinging.
Must be my age and parent thing but if that was my son was tackled and put in danger like that I would be livid if offending player was not cited and rubbed out for games.

I do hope common sense prevails and he is cited and suspended as these are the sort of tackles I find sickening to see.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
So the ref was right, whether we like it or not that is how the law is written, and when you take emotion out of it that was not a red card. Whether it should be or not is always open to discussion of course, but the ones who called O'Keefe out for decision may realise that sometimes the refs know the laws of the game. I will add I thought it was a red when I first saw it. Mind you I thought perhaps in Rebels/Clan game where Lentjes from Clan got cleared out with a tip tackle may of been a YC too, but seems I was wrong there too.

Last edited:

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
So the ref was right, whether we like it or not that is how the law is written, and when you take emotion out of it that was not a red card. Whether it should be or not is always open to discussion of course, but the ones who called O'Keefe out for decision may realise that sometimes the refs know the laws of the game. I will add I thought it was a red when I first saw it. Mind you I thought perhaps in Rebels/Clan game where Lentjes from Clan got cleared out with a tip tackle may of been a YC too, but seems I was wrong there too.
Has nothing to do with emotion, it’s simply reckless and dangerous and SANZAAR need to pull their head out of the sand if they think this shit is acceptable

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Has nothing to do with emotion, it’s simply reckless and dangerous and SANZAAR need to pull their head out of the sand if they think this shit is acceptable
But it's not SANZAAR, it's the WR (World Rugby) laws. I understand what you saying, all I saying that they playing under WR (World Rugby) laws so at moment whethet we like it or not the refs are right.
And up to a point it is emotion, as there seems to be no mention of Lentjes getting upended in Rebels/Clan game, but he was tipped up landed on shoulder and damaged that, but I suspect because there was nothing much said by TV crew or whatever reason there is no calling out about it.

Last edited:

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Yeah, to me that seems much more dangerous than many of the headhighs and head clashes - but then again I'm not a neuroscientist
Yep see I see it same as you Bandar, but then I don't know the players who are presently suing the WR (World Rugby) for brain damage. And I suspect the clamp down on head contact has more to do with covering backsides in court?

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Told ya. I swear we went from going years at a time without seeing a tip tackle to seeing about 4 in a few weeks. How is beyond me.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
That’s absolute shit..
End of the day I
I don’t think anyone emotional about it but player safety is a big thing and many of us don’t feel that tackle sits right in terms of potential to cause serious injury. We do seem to be seeing a lot more tip tackles of late..if my observation is correct I wonder why…

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

the one thing you can be sure of in this current climate is The Aussie referees have a different interpretation than the Kiwi Referees on a few areas.

Kiwi - Breakdown is a contest - Aussie players told to get out of it
Kiwi - High contact "part of the game" - Aussies watch the slow motion 15 times to find why the player is YC or RC.

I am guessing others will continue the train of thought.

All we want is consistency

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
End of the day I

I don’t think anyone emotional about it but player safety is a big thing and many of us don’t feel that tackle sits right in terms of potential to cause serious injury. We do seem to be seeing a lot more tip tackles of late..if my observation is correct I wonder why…
I totally agree about player safety, but I still waiting to hear opinions on the tip tackle on Lentjes is we take emotions out of it. I not sure if we getting more tip tackles ot they just getting highlighted as they the 'in thing' at moment, earlier in season it was head contacts, but then we ended up finding excuses for players we didn't want to see red for head contact. And I like you cringe when I see player tipped, and it can see it causing real bad injury, not just what happened to Lentjes with shoulder etc. Do we see WR (World Rugby) changing the parameters for a red card for it though? By the way I agree tips (wasn't a tackle) like Matera should be red carded but refs are right with laws as they are.
I not criticising any of us for it, but we do tend to get on the latest trend almost (and that probably not using correct term for it)

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I totally agree about player safety, but I still waiting to hear opinions on the tip tackle on Lentjes is we take emotions out of it. I not sure if we getting more tip tackles ot they just getting highlighted as they the 'in thing' at moment, earlier in season it was head contacts, but then we ended up finding excuses for players we didn't want to see red for head contact. And I like you cringe when I see player tipped, and it can see it causing real bad injury, not just what happened to Lentjes with shoulder etc.
Dan the tip-tackle issue isn’t emotion. It’s reckless and dangerous.

This is also Reds match-day thread, not a Highlanders, that’s why people are discussing this tackle here and not the Lentjes tackle which I didn’t even watch.

Lack of discussion on Lentjes in this thread doesn’t mean people condone what happened, nor should it be used to deflect the criticism.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I totally agree about player safety, but I still waiting to hear opinions on the tip tackle on Lentjes is we take emotions out of it. I not sure if we getting more tip tackles ot they just getting highlighted as they the 'in thing' at moment, earlier in season it was head contacts, but then we ended up finding excuses for players we didn't want to see red for head contact. And I like you cringe when I see player tipped, and it can see it causing real bad injury, not just what happened to Lentjes with shoulder etc. Do we see WR (World Rugby) changing the parameters for a red card for it though? By the way I agree tips (wasn't a tackle) like Matera should be red carded but refs are right with laws as they are.
I not criticising any of us for it, but we do tend to get on the latest trend almost (and that probably not using correct term for it)
Nah just replay looked really bad and dangerous as been said on here by others it is just a set of opinions (I ain’t a neurosurgeon) and agree with you 100% refs can act only on the letter of the law which the not citing means our issue perhaps is with the laws. Anyhow worthy discussion but discussed enough now and I ain’t got nothing more to say on this.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Having watched the replay again, how the hell isn’t that a red card. There was no one else in the tackle, he had ample opportunity to pullout of it and Matera throws him/drops him from height so he landed on his head/neck.

I don’t buy this ‘referees can only work within the rules’, this incident sits well within the rules for further punishment and citation. SANZAAR citing committee missed the mark on this one.

Law 10.4(j) reads: Lifting a player from the ground and dropping or driving that player into the ground whilst that player’s feet are still off the ground such that the player’s head and/or upper body come into contact with the ground is dangerous play.
- The player is lifted and then forced or ‘speared’ into the ground (red card offence)

- The lifted player is dropped to the ground from a height with no regard to the player’s safety (red card offence)

I’m done on this topic now, until Matera does it again next week.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Having watched the replay again, how the hell isn’t that a red card. There was no one else in the tackle, he had ample opportunity to pullout of it and Matera throws him/drops him from height so he landed on his head/neck.
This is it for me - Matera comes from distance towards an essentially stationary Petaia, has a decent bit of time and space to take stock, and this is his chosen method of removing Petaia from the unfolding ruck. Nothing circumstantial at all to suggest this was anything other than a dangerous brain snap that, as written in the laws you quoted, should have seen him punished further.

Is there any scope for the Reds to appeal the decision, or is that avenue only available to a cited player?

Status
Not open for further replies.