• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Dan Carter out of cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bon

Ward Prentice (10)
Aye, and who knows what the next games will turn up. I'm sure Henry and Co will have thought this through well before announcing the team. Whilst losing Carter is a huge loss I don't think we are completely out of it yet.

J

Jay

You have to love how kiwis polish the trophy every 4 years before they have won it

Dude, are you f'ing serious? I'm saying they're still a chance, that's all. They have a very winnable 1/4 final, an extremely tough semi-final and a (probably) slightly less tough final (if they make it). And did you actually bother to read the last sentence?

FrankLind

Colin Windon (37)
The Lords of Darkness must be packing it now.

Staring down the very jaws of victory, and then this....

Missing their prodigal son, the playing fields are suddenly more level, or are they?

Bokke - Steyn gone
Men In Gold - Schmoo, Palu gone, Diggers no certainty
Soap Dodgers Sheridan gone, Wilko minor injury but lost his kicking boots
Les Bleus - Mojo gone
Argies - Contemponis ribs not good

RWC 11 is turning into a war not a battle.

Yeah, this sux. The ABs are still difficult to beat at home, but this really evens things out. I would say the Wallabies are now in with a very good chance against the ABS if they can get past the Boks.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
Terrible news fr the blacks and the world cup, it changes the landscape somewhat for sure.

I would prefer h was playing, I love watch him ply his trade and it's a poorer victory to defeat the All Blacks without him (hopefully)

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Terrible loss, listening to the Kiwi commentators on the Aus game on ABC radio they said McCaw is on one leg as well.

His foot injury will be operated on straight after the tournament and he is a week to week proposition

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
Gutted for DC, this tournament was so important to him, just as I am gutted for Drew.

The ABs will rally after this. No one can replace DC, but be it with Slade, Weepu, or Cruden the ABs are still favourites.

Injuries are a part of the game but here's to all the finalist teams having no more serious ones.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Medicos out there, please explain how you can tear this during kicking practice

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/rugby-world-cup-2011/news/article.cfm?c_id=522&objectid=10755991
A scan has revealed the 29-year-old, 85 test All Blacks vice-captain had torn the adductor longus tendon in his left groin.
He suffered the injury during kicking practice at the captain's run training session in Wellington yesterday afternoon.

Was he kicking concrete blocks?

Fox were saying that Wilko was practicing by dunking match balls in water. This must make the balls slightly heavier but torn tendons from kicking doesn't sound like a very common injury.

Perhaps the kicking practice was not the root cause but aggravated a previous injury from other causes.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
All these big injuries and it looking likely that AUS, SA and NZ will be on the same side of the draw is giving me nightmares about Bill going north again.

Obviously a massive loss but the ABs can and should still win. It just got a little bit harder but the depth is definitely there.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
Really bad news for Carter, he must be gutted. The All Blacks, however always have someone who can slot straight in to pivotal positions & hardly miss a beat. Slade might be a few notches down from Carter but he's no mug. AB's still the team to beat.

Godfrey

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I have to say that as a rugby fan this makes me feel pretty sad. This is a bloke who's been the best in his position consistently for years (and one of the best in his position -ever-). The kind of player that opposition fans, coaches, commentators and players all have a great respect for. This should've been this high point of his career and, being honest, he deserved it. It's a shame that the four-year rugby cycle means that when people look back on his career they might think he never reached the summit of the game, when he's really been there for a long time.

Of course a Wallabies fan, I'm glad this gives us a bit more of a chance to win. I don't think I'd be alone in saying I would've preferred a semi-final victory against a Carter and McCaw led All Blacks given the choice.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
This has got to be the single biggest piece of news about an individual in the cup.

In Olde Sydney Towne last night, we had a doozy of a rainstorm in the early hours. I now know, the Rugby Gods are weeping.

Ireland vs Aust, and Tonga vs France tied as equal biggest team news.

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
If you are out there Sir Arthur........"Go Canada" today v ABs!! (Task that much easier without Ritchie and Dan)!

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
...snip...

Of course a Wallabies fan, I'm glad this gives us a bit more of a chance to win. I don't think I'd be alone in saying I would've preferred a semi-final victory against a Carter and McCaw led All Blacks given the choice.

I love to bag the Darkness, but the quality of the opposition makes the eventual victory so much sweeter.

If the Lords of Darkness selected the Waikickamookau Under 20's to play as the NZRT in the RWC and the Men In Gold beat that team to bring Bill back to Oz, then while we would have Bill for 4 more years, it would be a very hollow victory. Bragging rights would be compromised.

The harder the task is, the more rewarding eventual success is.

Antony

Alex Ross (28)
I'd be feeling a whole lot better if Nick Evans was still around. But still, I'm sure CS will settle in to it now that he's got a bit of certainty in tenure; I actually rate him pretty high (although the loss of experience is huge).

Status
Not open for further replies.