• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Deans confirmed until 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Red Rooster

Right - Can we say right now that we have enough depth??? Yes if i read above. I don't want to read in 3 months time that "we don't have the cattle" if we come up short. There has been 4 years to develop enough players, a culture, a playing style etc so we can finally judge the 4 year plan on its merits. Extending it by 2 is a gamble for JON but for the Coach its all about the next 3 months, unencumbered by politics, and with ample troops. I do not want to read anywhere that we did not win because we did not have Benn Robinson etc etc. 4 years is as long as any professional coach in any sport gets to get it right so spare us the recycling of excuses - Go the wallabies

Riptide

Dave Cowper (27)
Right - Can we say right now that we have enough depth??? Yes if i read above. I don't want to read in 3 months time that "we don't have the cattle" if we come up short. There has been 4 years to develop enough players, a culture, a playing style etc so we can finally judge the 4 year plan on its merits. Extending it by 2 is a gamble for JON but for the Coach its all about the next 3 months, unencumbered by politics, and with ample troops. I do not want to read anywhere that we did not win because we did not have Benn Robinson etc etc. 4 years is as long as any professional coach in any sport gets to get it right so spare us the recycling of excuses - Go the wallabies

Damn right. There are just no excuses. Dean has had 4 years to prepare this team for this WC tournament without having to deal with either the pressure or expectation heaped on the AB coaching staff, for example. He has made some mistakes long the way but that can be set aside as part of the "process". The Wallabies are well positioned now. No excuses.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
I knew I liked Mark Hinton really...

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/opinion/5297213/Wallabies-nipping-at-heels-of-sleeping-AB-giants

Wallabies nipping at heels of sleeping AB giants

OPINION: Ladies and gentlemen, it looks like we have ourselves a contest.

Forget the All Blacks strolling through the world cup, a-la 1987. Just ain't gonna happen. Last Saturday night in Brisbane told me all I need to know about that.

Call me a pessimist, or call me a realist, but I get the feeling that the gap has all but closed between the Wallabies and All Blacks. Where once there was a chasm, now there might be little more than a sliver between the trans-Tasman rivals, who appear destined to battle it out in the global tournament's showpiece game.

Four years ago, when the New Zealand Rugby Union practically gift-wrapped Robbie Deans and sent him to John O'Neill with a "Best Wishes" card, a scenario started building in my head that involved the rejected Cantabrian having the final say come October 23, 2011.

That, in case you haven't been paying attention, is the date of the cup final at Eden Park.

Given all that the All Blacks have been through at world cups, the concept of our finest Super Rugby coach being severely disenfranchised, then handed to the Aussies on a plate to build a team over four years, then returning to wreak the ultimate in revenge had a certain, well, symmetry about it. Deans still has his work cut out, and last week's news that he'd lost outstanding prop Benn Robinson to a torn anterior cruciate ligament was a body blow to the Wallabies' chances. If there's one spot they can ill afford to lose key men, it's in the front-row pillars.

It's also going to be exceedingly difficult for any team to defeat the All Blacks at a world cup in New Zealand. It hasn't happened yet, and it's going to take something special for someone to put together the sort of game that will be required to roll Richie McCaw and co on home soil.

But it could be that Deans is building just the sort of team, and depth, capable of delivering that sort of performance.

Even through a record 10 losses in a row to the All Blacks between 2008 and 2010, you never lost the impression that Deans was chipping away at his structure, refining, rebuilding, rejuvenating. There was short-term pain – plenty of it – in the name of long-term gain.

Now the perfect storm appears to be gathering for the Wallabies.

It wasn't quite chills up the back of the spine stuff, but the Super Rugby final underlined a suspicion I've had ever since the Wallabies ended their losing streak at the hands of the All Blacks, in Hong Kong, late last year.

The Australians now no longer fear us. They have the guile and the style, the muscle and the hustle, to roll the best New Zealand can offer. And here's the thing – they know it.

The Queensland Reds showed that when they took the Crusaders on at their own game, and beat them. It was the Reds who stepped up and made the big plays down the stretch. It was the Reds who absorbed the pressure, and then turned the tables when it counted. And Reds like Will Genia, Beau Robinson and Digby Ioane were the most influential figures.

Sure, the Crusaders were out on their feet after their season from hell, and the Queenslanders didn't have to leave Brisbane through the playoffs.

But here's something that's more than a random thought. While New Zealand's best rugby players seem to be on a form plateau, at best, Australia's are getting better and better as the world cup draws closer.

Think of players like Genia and Quade Cooper, like James O'Connor and Kurtley Beale, like Ioane and Adam Ashley-Cooper, like Scott Higginbotham and Robinson, like David Pocock and Matt Hodgson.

And then think about how many All Blacks are on top of their games, raising the bar with every performance, and making things happen out there on the field.

Feeling nervous yet?

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Anyone ever get the impression kiwi rugby journos know more about rugby here than a lot of our own scribes (this fine organ excluded, of course)

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)

Gagger, whether we ascribe visionary developmental properties to RD or not (and one would think Link deserves some mention in such contexts), the guts of this analysis from Hinton is correct.

I have never seen a set of pre-RWC stars better aligned for Aus, and Aus better aligned to exploit said stars.

Essentially, it's this: since 2009, Australia has, for various forced and unforced reasons, risked more, and achieved more, in terms of developing its 'next generation' elite player talent base than has either SA or NZ, and that base now looks impressive. In parallel, the 'last generation' players from these two nations achieved so much for each that they inevitably were not worked out of the system, but were trusted to deliver yet again and again, but, the evidence shows, they may have reached maximum thrust in the 2009-10 period, always a risk with a preserved generation.

There can be no doubt that, in the round, the Saffer attack capability on show in this year's S15 looked consistently diminished and fragile once the renown defensive fortresses were breached by smart, powerful teams like the 2011 Reds and Crusaders. This generic deficiency is the perfect vulnerability for a competently led Wallabies to ruthlessly exploit in coming months. Then, as Hinton states, the Reds multiple wins over the Cru, Blues, etc showed that Aus has, at last, all of the raw talent, game plans and hard team cultures and self-confidences required to out wit and out play NZ's best, and with the instances of NZ leadership brilliance somehow not quite shining so brightly as in previous years (personally, I think that from 2011's evidence, it's quite possible that McCaw and Carter will not recover their very best of 2008-10).

So, the window of opportunity pre this RWC has rarely been bigger for Aus. Now, the obvious requirement is for exceptional coaching, team leadership and raw talent to exploit it.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
The worst performed coach of an Australian team. Fails consistently on so many levels from selection right through to basic skills and tactics. But by all means lets sign him for another two years. What a waste of money.

C

chief

Firstly, Robbie Deans treated the Samoans with absolute scorn and contempt. I see it was officially announced this week that the ARU will extend his contract. This should immediately be rethought. And I would even contemplate, his sacking. I will be ridiculed for this remark however it is completely warranted, and if people want to sit back and say "life's great", "the Wallabies are in it!" Then they should have a long hard look at what has occurred and address its merits. Robbie Deans performance has largely gone unnoticed, and whenever someone seems to bring it up they are shot down immediately.

His record.

- 1 win out of the last 10 AB games.
- 2 wins in the 3 nations last year
- A historic loss vs Samoa

Ewen McKenzie anyone? Deans is a joke.

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
I'm with you Chief. Deans consistently produces poor team performances. This is his 4th year with the Wallabies and it seems like we are still rebuilding. This is what Deans will say in his press conference: "The players will learn from this experience, but what is important is how they react to it, how they seize their opportunity to set the record straight".

Blah blah blah, you're all talk Deans!

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
We lost to Samoa in 91. It is hardly historic.

You said it before, When? They didn't lose to Samoa in 1991. It was a win 9-3 They didn't play pre-RWC in 1991 that I can recall and I can find no record of a game. They beat Wales at the RWC in 1991.

matty_k

Peter Johnson (47)
Staff member
I've been led down the garden path by someone I trusted.
It was an attempt to counter all the negativity. I grasped at it. I was wrong.

I apologise.

Status
Not open for further replies.