• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Drown out the haka: Bledisloe II | Tri Nations finale

What should the AUS crowd sing at the game on Saturday, or indeed in the future?

• Waltzing Matilda

Votes: 35 53.8%
  • Aussie Version of OleOleOle

Votes: 8 12.3%
  • Come on you gold

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • None of these three, but something else

Votes: 10 15.4%
  • We shouldn't sing at all, be it before after or during the haka

Votes: 10 15.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Army_Gav

I think the obvious choice is for the Wallabies fans to sing Waltzing Matilda, while holding up their supporters scarves.
For sure.

They need to stop using washed up singers and let the crowd make the noise.

We hate it at the Stockade when the announcer gets on the PA to create a false atmosphere.

dudebudstud

Ward Prentice (10)
For sure.

They need to stop using washed up singers and let the crowd make the noise.

We hate it at the Stockade when the announcer gets on the PA to create a false atmosphere.

I think it would be best if a tradition is started where at the same time every game the crowd sings waltzing matlida. Say 20 mins into each half. It would be a huge boost to the players on the field. Imagine 60,000 people singing that.

B

Bart

as a Kiwi it makes me laugh all this rubbish about combating the haka etc. The challenge is for the other TEAM, not the fans!! AS soon as a team starts wasting time thinking about what to do pre and post haka etc, half the battle is won. Get out there watch it, go "cool bro', or not, and then start playing. Treat it as one of the pre game things that happen - like the anthems.

Any of the crowd things that are tried, long the singing with that old bugger just seem contrived and pathetic.

Who really cares what happens before that first whistle goes?

A

Army_Gav

as a Kiwi it makes me laugh all this rubbish about combating the haka etc. The challenge is for the other TEAM, not the fans!! AS soon as a team starts wasting time thinking about what to do pre and post haka etc, half the battle is won. Get out there watch it, go "cool bro', or not, and then start playing. Treat it as one of the pre game things that happen - like the anthems.

Any of the crowd things that are tried, long the singing with that old bugger just seem contrived and pathetic.

Who really cares what happens before that first whistle goes?

Like I said at the start of the thread, for me, it's not about combating the Haka, but supporting your team in the face of a challenge. Be it the Haka, Sipi Tau or a Russian Jig.

minorbird

Tom Lawton (22)
If it was just about drowning out the Haka, then you would just break out the vuvuzelas and that would be that.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
For me, trying to drown out the haka is akin to booing while a kicker is lining up for goal. It lacks respect.

Whether we are on the same side as the team doing the war dance or not, we should respect it and admire it for what it is. I love seeing it, both live and on tv, and it helps to set rugby apart from other sports.

Set piece magic

John Solomon (38)
I think It's respectful, It's supporting your team during the haka. We don't get a reply to the haka so It should be equal space as far as I'm concerned. If we wanted to be disrespectful to the haka, wouldn't we just boo?

A

Army_Gav

If it was just about drowning out the Haka, then you would just break out the vuvuzelas and that would be that.
Exactly right.

Take Waltzing Matilda for example, although the lyrics/content is questionable, it is synonymous with Australian Rugby (for the most part). I'm sure if the Boys heard that it would lift them even more so, much like the Boks hearing "Ole Ole Ole".

EVERYFWDTHINKTHEYREA6OR7

Syd Malcolm (24)
For me, trying to drown out the haka is akin to booing while a kicker is lining up for goal. It lacks respect.

Whether we are on the same side as the team doing the war dance or not, we should respect it and admire it for what it is. I love seeing it, both live and on tv, and it helps to set rugby apart from other sports.

I kinda agree with you. However it would be fantastic after they finish their Haka that we as a crowd sing Waltzing Matilda. At the same time if it does happen during the Haka, how is it any different to say any other Pacific Island team doing their 'Haka' at the same time?

T

tblackadder

maybe put that footrot flats song over the pa to drown out the haka

that would be funny

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I kinda agree with you. However it would be fantastic after they finish their Haka that we as a crowd sing Waltzing Matilda. At the same time if it does happen during the Haka, how is it any different to say any other Pacific Island team doing their 'Haka' at the same time?

The difference is one is on the field and the other is the crowd.

Bruwheresmycar

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I reckon people should just try it for once. I'd join in simply because i think the whole world is too precious when it comes to NZ and their very very serious haka. See what happens, if it helps the players, then great.

We shouldn't make it systematic or anything though, because what happens the day the crowd isn't organised enough to respond to the haka and the players are left out there wondering where the support is?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I reckon people should just try it for once. I'd join in simply because i think the whole world is too precious when it comes to NZ and their very very serious haka. See what happens, if it helps the players, then great.

We shouldn't make it systematic or anything though, because what happens the day the crowd isn't organised enough to respond to the haka and the players are left out there wondering where the support is?

Why would you want to drown out one of the great spectacles of international sport?

EVERYFWDTHINKTHEYREA6OR7

Syd Malcolm (24)
The difference is one is on the field and the other is the crowd.

Agreed, however i don't blame anyone wanted to sing or drown it out. If the Rugby Union's decide they don't want that sort of interuption. Make the Kiwi's stand there and wait for us to sing a song.

It's a bit of a cake and eat it too. That's why my stance is, do your Haka or your anthem. This will stop every country having that extra 'thing' after the anthem. It will allow the crowd to respect any medium of cultural significance on or off the field and thus satisfy what you are saying.

Status
Not open for further replies.