• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Drown out the haka: Bledisloe II | Tri Nations finale

What should the AUS crowd sing at the game on Saturday, or indeed in the future?

• Waltzing Matilda

Votes: 35 53.8%
  • Aussie Version of OleOleOle

Votes: 8 12.3%
  • Come on you gold

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • None of these three, but something else

Votes: 10 15.4%
  • We shouldn't sing at all, be it before after or during the haka

Votes: 10 15.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Set piece magic

John Solomon (38)
i reckon give Aussie to the tune of Ole! a go... simple and easy, people will join in. I'm just going to start doing it during the haka and if someone starts yelling at me so be It, This is an Aus home ground you've got to accept the fact that If you want your pre-game ritual, we'll have ours

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Maybe whilst the ABs are doing the haka on Saturday night they should show this clip on the scoreboard.

[video=youtube;emJyEa4z2Ec]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emJyEa4z2Ec[/video]

A

Army_Gav

Yep thats what you should do. The All Blacks look like the scared ones in PE at the end of their haka.
Supporters did this at the 2006 Football/Soccer World Cup.

We can add this to the chants thread though.

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
regard the vid.... thats funny right there..... at least the tradition of the Haka has got better. And can see why they spend so much time practicing it, so they will never go a repeat like that again....
By the looks I think they couldn't wait until it was over, because the jump at the end was the only thing they got right....

A

Army_Gav

Would be really great if someone with connections could get some sort of formal support?
Elaborate. Eg. Marto on MMM telling everyone to join in or ?

I know it doesn't help on Saturday, but watch this space. If you're coming to the GAGR meet up in Auckland for the Ireland RWC game, you'll see what I or we have in store.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
If you want to do it, I reckon it would work better as a response to the haka. As soon as the haka finishes have a crack, and have a crack loud. That is when the Aussies normally go back to a huddle to compose themselves, but imagine the lift with a spontaneously sung supporter song.

Most likely to work is waltzing matilda, as almost all have done it before at the rugby.

Searsy

Herbert Moran (7)
The problem is that Aussies are too slack to learn a whole song. How many people mumble their way through the later verses of Waltzing Matilda, make up words for parts they don't know in Khe Sanh and sure as shi*t don't know the second verse to Advance Australia Fair (let alone the other 3)? Maybe the ARU needs to give us a nudge (think Melbourne British lions Test). Could be as simple as printing out 20,000 odd leaflets with the lyrics to waltzing matilda on it.

A

Army_Gav

The problem is that Aussies are too slack to learn a whole song. How many people mumble their way through the later verses of Waltzing Matilda, make up words for parts they don't know in Khe Sanh and sure as shi*t don't know the second verse to Advance Australia Fare (let alone the other 3)? Maybe the ARU needs to give us a nudge (think Melbourne British lions Test). Could be as simple as printing out 20,000 odd leaflets with the lyrics to waltzing matilda on it.
Valid point, after a few beverages too.

It's a balancing act none the least.

Do it during the Haka, if you've watched the Port Elizabeth game video, that'll fire you up.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Do it during the Haka, if you've watched the Port Elizabeth game video, that'll fire you up.

I thought that was incredible but it felt really natural from a massive and vocal crowd. They were loud before the anthems and went straight back into the oles after the anthems. It really didn't come across as trying to intentionally drown out the haka. It almost sounded like a Welsh rugby crowd.

I think that's the only way it can work without coming across as terribly poor sportsmanship.

Set piece magic

John Solomon (38)
We've had the problems of not knowing songs at school, to combat this they just come out and get people to practice once ever few assemblies / before a big event.

I say screw printing out 20000 leaflets, put the lyrics up in bold on the big screen, and flashing red and yellow like the closing down sales for persian rug ads (see the chaser.)

I'll also see If I can put up a poll - those three, none of those three, or none at all.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
We are singing a song, not bowling them a bloody under arm.

The underarm incident was 30 years ago and the Kiwis still haven't gotten over it.

It really doesn't take much for a Trans Tasman incident. For such a tough bunch of people, they're very sensitive.

Status
Not open for further replies.