• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

End of Year Tour 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
You guys should turn the telly on.

Those guys haven't played rugby in ages, Betham is currently playing and is in excellent form. He's brimming with confidence and you can see it in his play.
The commentators were giving Betham big wraps in that game. Shame his team is now out.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Apparently....

Pocock, Moore and Barnes fit to tour

Horwill, Cooper, O'Connor not touring

Ioane and Higgers unknown (I suspect Ioane will be given rest to recover his injury and Higgers will be suspend for the majority of matches and thus will not tour)

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Apparently..

Pocock, Moore and Barnes fit to tour

Horwill, Cooper, O'Connor not touring

Ioane and Higgers unknown (I suspect Ioane will be given rest to recover his injury and Higgers will be suspend for the majority of matches and thus will not tour)
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think it was in an article that Pocock has chosen to get himself ready and absolutely fit for next year rather than go on the Spring Tours.

Pocock might miss Wallabies spring tour

Injured Wallabies flanker David Pocock will consider sitting out the spring tour to avoid an ongoing battle with his knee injury and to focus on being fit for the Super Rugby season.
The star No7 is unsure of a return date and said the "very best case scenario" would be playing the last two games of the Wallabies' end of season trip to Europe.
Even then he said that maybe too soon for a comeback and he admitted he would consider continuing his rehabilitation in Canberra to avoid jeopardising his first campaign with the Brumbies.

Pocock to tour but Sharpe stays captain

World-class flanker David Pocock is set to bolster the Wallabies on next month's European tour but won't regain the captaincy from veteran lock Nathan Sharpe.

Coach Robbie Deans on Sunday revealed he expected Pocock, sidelined for two months following knee surgery, would return on the four-Test tour to set up an intriguing selection battle with young gun Michael Hooper.

Read more: http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-new...-but-sharpe-stays-captain-20121021-27z6m.html

Ah, read that first article earlier this week and just noticed there was an update.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
I suspect pocock might be playing from the bench against England

Personally I think our current team will have the wood on France. I think, to an extent, the French will underdone. They should be a bit rusty. Our pack is battle hardened and have found some sort of form (considering injuries).

I'm less certain how we'll fair against England or Wales. The Wallabies have a chance to certainly strike a blow to the Lions confidence if the Wallabies could get two wins.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
I dont see the need to take 36 players on these tours. Seems like a massive waste of money.

I'd take 30, maybe 32 if they are playing mid week games as well.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
I terms of the squad (32):

Props: Robinson, Slipper, Alexander, Kepu
Hookers: Moore, TPN, Hanson
Locks: Sharpe, Douglas, Timani, Pyle/Neville
6/8: Palu, Higgers, Samo/Auela/Mowen, Dennis/Jones/AWH
Opensides: Pocock, Hooper, Gill

Scrumhalf: Sheehan, Prior, Frisby
Flyhalf: Beale
Centres: Tapuai, McCabe, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
Wing: Mitchell, Shipperly, Cummins
Fullback: Barnes, Harris

Injured that might have toured:
JOC (James O'Connor), Horwil, Genia, Cooper, White, Palmer, S. Fainga'a, Schatz, Horne, Lealifano, Tomane, McCalman, Morahan

Players I'd rest:
Ioane

With higgers maybe missing a few games, Deans is going to have make a call re: the backrow. Samo is on his last legs and Dennis(and higgers) have not yet 'claimed' the jersey as their own. I'd have Auelua as the token bolter of the squad. This bloke has the physicality to really add some starch to the pack.

Left Ant Fainga'a and Phipps out of the squad as I don't think they are cut out for test rugby.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
a difference of 4 players...we're not trading sheep stations here.

I honestly only reckon they take 36 players because QANTAS is the sponsor and the flights would be free.

4 return business class flights and accommodation/food/transport for 4 blokes for over a month would be enough money to fund an extra EPS spot at every super rugby team.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
I think you will fibd tgat shipperly is not avaliable for the tour.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
I think they'll take Samo as we'll need a Jumping #8 with Pocock & Hooper starting at Twickers. Higgers will be suspended & Dennis is still only a bench player at best.

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I'm not certain but I think Auelua is ineligible for Australian selection, because he's a Samoan citizen?
I terms of the squad (32):

Locks: Sharpe, Douglas, Timani, Pyle/Neville
6/8: Palu, Higgers, Samo/Auela/Mowen, Dennis/Jones/AWH

Scrumhalf: Sheehan, Prior, Frisby
Wing: Mitchell, Shipperly, Cummins

Injured that might have toured:
JOC (James O'Connor), Horwil, Genia, Cooper, White, Palmer, S. Fainga'a, Schatz, Horne, Lealifano, Tomane, McCalman, Morahan

Players I'd rest:
Ioane

With higgers maybe missing a few games, Deans is going to have make a call re: the backrow. Samo is on his last legs and Dennis(and higgers) have not yet 'claimed' the jersey as their own. I'd have Auelua as the token bolter of the squad. This bloke has the physicality to really add some starch to the pack.

Left Ant Fainga'a and Phipps out of the squad as I don't think they are cut out for test rugby.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I'm not certain but I think Auelua is ineligible for Australian selection, because he's a Samoan citizen?

Nah. If he wasn't eligible for the Wallabies then he would have to take up one of the foreign player spots at the Brumbies.

nathan

Darby Loudon (17)
So, now that Speight's brumbies contract has swapped over to a standard (non-foreign development) contract, does that mean he could be selected for the wallabies? He was arguably the form Australian winger throughout super rugby, and would be a great backup to have on tour.

Similarly I think Auelua is a handy backup at 8, as I really don't like either Dennis or Higginbotham (who's unlikely to tour) playing there as cover. That would really depend on if they take Samo and Palu, which I assume they will. Neville at lock and 6 is also a good idea, given that they're unlikely to pick AWH.

So my squad make up is:

Locks: Sharpe, Douglas, Timani, Neville
6/8: Palu, Samo, Dennis, Auelua

Scrumhalf: Phipps (unfortunately),Sheehan, Prior
Wing: Mitchell, Shipperly, Cummins, Speight

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
How did Veae (sp?) gofor the Brumbies this year? Surely if he had any form he would be a better long term option than Auelua who is 29.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
How did Veae (sp?) gofor the Brumbies this year? Surely if he had any form he would be a better long term option than Auelua who is 29.

He didnt get a lot of game time. Auelua has a good few years ahead, He'll be great for the wallabies IMO.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
  1. How is it that in a squad of 30+ everyone is selecting one 10 and a couple of 15's who can play there at a pinch? If Beale gets injured that brings Barnes back to 10, and we all know how well that went this year. I think Foley is the last 10 standing but I'd much rather take him than have Barnes there, NH grounds or not. Barnes and Harris for 15 and maybe 12 if we are desperate, but I would rather see Taps at 12 and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) at 13 if McCabe gets crocked
  2. Surely Turner will go now that Shipperly is out? If he's still crocked then Betham or Speight from Australia fourths would have to be next in line.
  3. After Phipps abysmal display on Saturday night, (I don't care what Dingo said, he was awful) you would love to drop him. But there's just no one left and after Sheehan it's probably Prior, Stirzacker or Hart. Kingi seems to have fallen out of favour because of lack of game time, but I would take Sheehan, Kingi and Prior as my three halfbacks. Phipps needs to be told he just has no idea and has to get some remedial coaching in the off-season.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
  1. How is it that in a squad of 30+ everyone is selecting one 10 and a couple of 15's who can play there at a pinch? If Beale gets injured that brings Barnes back to 10, and we all know how well that went this year. I think Foley is the last 10 standing but I'd much rather take him than have Barnes there, NH grounds or not.
  2. Surely Turner will go now that Shipperly is out? If he's still crocked then Betham or Speight from Australia fourths would have to be next in line.
  3. After Phipps abysmal display on Saturday night, (I don't care what Dingo said, he was awful) you would love to drop him. But there's just no one left and after Sheehan it's probably Prior, Stirzacker or Hart. Kingi seems to have fallen out of favour because of lack of game time, but I would take Sheehan, Kingi and Prior as my three halfbacks. Phipps needs to be told he just has no idea and has to get some remedial coaching in the off-season.

3-0 against Wales, with Barnes MoTM in two of those games?

Barnes is our next best 10. Foley is miles behind. I'd have Harris ahead of him, Zack Holmes too.

Status
Not open for further replies.