• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

End of Year Tour 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Winning games and coming 2nd in the IRB Rankings is much more important. It gives us the best oppourtunity of winning the RWC.

The Lions is a huge unknown no matter what happens.

It won't matter whether we're 2nd, 3rd or 4th if we can't win our pool.........

And I'd argue that the Lions' series is a much bigger, and more important event for Australian rugby.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
It won't matter whether we're 2nd, 3rd or 4th if we can't win our pool...

And I'd argue that the Lions' series is a much bigger, and more important event for Australian rugby.

If we had a new coach i'd agree with you, but I have no faith in Robbies ability to put together a wining game plan against the Lions and have essentially written it off as a spectacle to be enjoyed.

I'd rather come 2nd in the rankings and give the next Wallaby coach something to work with.

eddo

Larry Dwyer (12)
Someone please remind me the deal Sharpie was given by the ARU again..

Oh, that's right!.. they gave him the shaft, publicly.. then begged him to take a game by game deal rather than a full contract.

Has that changed at all? Is he the first temp contract "Captain" in any top tier nation since the game went pro?

Jokers over there in North Sydney.. No wonder he's thinking it over. If I was Sharpie, I'd be doubling my price.

scaraby

Ron Walden (29)
With ten or so front line players coming back before the lions I vote we play and win as much as we can. The Wallaby team v Lions will be vastly different to any end of season team we play with ,not only in players but in tactics.

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
With ten or so front line players coming back before the lions I vote we play and win as much as we can. The Wallaby team v Lions will be vastly different to any end of season team we play with ,not only in players but in tactics.

What we'll actually have some discernible ones during the Lions series? That'll be a good change.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Someone please remind me the deal Sharpie was given by the ARU again..

Oh, that's right!.. they gave him the shaft, publicly.. then begged him to take a game by game deal rather than a full contract.

Has that changed at all? Is he the first temp contract "Captain" in any top tier nation since the game went pro?

Jokers over there in North Sydney.. No wonder he's thinking it over. If I was Sharpie, I'd be doubling my price.

Interesting. Wasn't Quade lambasted for putting personal perspective ahead of the Wallaby jersey, and has been accused of being greedy and demanding $ ahead of the green and gold.

But we are encouraging Sharpie to do it?

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Interesting. Wasn't Quade lambasted for putting personal perspective ahead of the Wallaby jersey, and has been accused of being greedy and demanding $ ahead of the green and gold.

But we are encouraging Sharpie to do it?

I havent seen rumours of Sharpe going to league obviously propagated by his manager, and I don't recall Sharpe jumping on twitter to slander his national squad and their coach.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Our reason for playing well in the NH tour is to avoid New Zealand in the RWC draw? [waylon mode activated]Harden up, belters![/waylon mode]

I don't care when we meet New Zealand - the bloody pool stages are fine. If we're too scared to play them, that's a bloody poor start. "Bring it on!" as my all-time favourite Wallaby Joe Roff used to say.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Why would Sharpe be motivated to stick it to the ARU at this point when they're asking him to play a few more tests? I'd imagine Sharpe would be honored to be asked to captain his country.

Fair enough that he was upset after not being offered a guaranteed top up contract for 2012 although now that he has played more than 6 tests he has triggered the full top up. Sharpe hardly seems the sort of guy to try and drag the ARU over the coals just to prove a point and maybe extract more money out of them.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Our reason for playing well in the NH tour is to avoid New Zealand in the RWC draw? [waylon mode activated]Harden up, belters![/waylon mode]

I don't care when we meet New Zealand - the bloody pool stages are fine. If we're too scared to play them, that's a bloody poor start. "Bring it on!" as my all-time favourite Wallaby Joe Roff used to say.

If we aren't going to win the RWC, I'd prefer to make it to the final rather than being knocked out in the quarters.

I don't think it's ever been a good tactical choice to not care about seedings in any sport.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Yeah, I really felt elated riding the train home from Homebush with 10,000 Jonny Wilkinsons singing Swing Low Sweet Chariot.

I you ain't first, you're last.

eddo

Larry Dwyer (12)
I assume Sharpie get's a bump for being captain?

It's not that we're encouraging the guy to ask for more,... he's bloody worth more than what they valued him at.
Not just from the leadership standpoint, but also the 'he doesn't break down or quit' standpoint.

I'd hate to see his contract next to Quade's right now.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I don't think Sharpie should be swayed by pleading from Deans or O'Neill. If he feels like it's time to hang 'em up then he should just do it. He's been treated pretty shabbily at times in the last couple of years and would be well within his rights to tell the ARU to piss off. He said in an article in the West a couple of months ago that he'd had to apologise to his boys for prolonging his career that little bit further. Family could decide this for him.

He may, however, feel that he owes his team to stick around so they aren't without a senior player as captain. I'll say this for the big fella, he steps up a level as a player when he's leading them. I used think he was lazy and overrated before he came across to the Force, but the captaincy transformed his game. He seems to relish the additional responsibility.

scaraby

Ron Walden (29)
What we'll actually have some discernible ones during the Lions series? That'll be a good change.
Tactic 1 . Take the Pom supporters out for a 12 hour session the night before the game so theyre all too sick and hoarse to sing...although the W Welsh arent too bad....:)

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
World Cup draw aside I think its important that we finish strongly this year. It has been an odd test season for the Wallabies. We've looked like a shambles but we've still managed a series win over the Grand Slam champs and took more wins in the RC than the Boks. It's only really our performances against the Blecks that have been embarrassing, and I'm actually expecting the Blecks to put a few cricket scores past some pretty decent team on the EOYT. It would be nice to finish the year strongly and build some momentum going into the Lions Series.

Lance Free

Arch Winning (36)
Official Press Release:

NathanSharpe available for Spring Tour
Qantas Wallabies skipper Nathan Sharpe has confirmed his availability for next month’s Spring Tour of Europe.

The 34-year-old, who has ‘postponed’ his retirement once already this year, made the decision after a request from Australian Rugby Union Managing Director and CEO John O’Neill and Qantas Wallabies coach Robbie Deans.

“Sharpey has had an exceptional season and we’re delighted he’s accepted the invitation to continue what is proving to be a stellar finale to a wonderful career,” said Mr O’Neill.

“From a playing perspective he’s been world-class throughout 2012, and the way he’s taken to the leadership in the face of adversity with the side losing three previous captains to injury, has been magnificent.

“Sharpey has brought absolute commitment and dedication to the cause, shown a real sense of purpose and direction, and those assets at this time have been crucial to the Qantas Wallabies.

“For them to finish second in The Castrol EDGE Rugby Championship despite the setbacks encountered during the campaign have been a testament to the contribution he made as captain in the back half of the competition.

“We look forward to Sharpey leading the side again in his final Test on Australian soil against the All Blacks in Brisbane on Saturday week and then being part of an exciting four-Test Spring Tour next month.”

The foundation skipper of the Western Force in Super Rugby, Sharpe first captained his country in 2004, and reassumed the role during this year’s Castrol EDGE Rugby Championship after injuries had ruled out recent skippers James Horwill, David Pocock and Will Genia.

Sharpe led the Wallabies to victories home and away against Argentina and also rallied the side amid great adversity in the match against South Africa at Pretoria.

Last weekend in Rosario, he became Australia’s most capped forward, and second most capped player, in his own right by playing his 111th Test match. This took him beyond the 110 caps accumulated by his former team-mate George Smith.

“Playing for Australia is something I have never taken for granted. As such, to be asked to continue beyond the deadline I had set for myself was both flattering but also a request that was very difficult to turn down,” Sharpe says.

“I have never known a season where the Wallabies have faced such adversity as we have this year. To show the spirit and character that the team has is a mark of how the group has grown, both individually and collectively, and I have enjoyed playing my part in that.

“The opportunity to lead the Wallabies again on what will be a challenging but exciting tour was too tempting. It is not easy to say no to your country.”

Qantas Wallabies coach Robbie Deans says the decision to ask Sharpe to continue was logical given the age and experience profile of the group, the fact that some returning senior players would not be ready to return as starters, and the impact that Sharpe had had throughout the year.

“You only have to look at what he has achieved with the group since he took over as captain,” Deans says.

“His influence has been immense, he is arguably playing the best rugby of his career but, most importantly, he is enjoying the experience.

“Sharpey’s presence and leadership has been a constant throughout the year – one of the few aspects of continuity that we’ve had through a season that is probably without precedent in terms of disruption.

“For that reason, it was straight forward asking him to continue, both following on from the June Tests when he had originally planned to retire, and then again following The Castrol EDGE Rugby Championship.

“While he has a range of other commitments in his life, and touring means putting them on hold again, I had no doubt that he would be keen to continue.”

Today’s decision means that Sharpe could now complete his illustrious decade-long Test career by playing his 14th Test against Wales; an opponent he has opposed on more occasions than has any other Wallaby.

Australia faces France, England, Italy and Wales on a challenging end-of-year trip after completing the domestic Test season on Saturday week at Suncorp Stadium where the Qantas Wallabies will be attempting to repeat last year’s Tri-Nations-title-sealing win over the All Blacks at the ground.

Sharpe’s appearance in that match will see him tie the current Australian Rugby Union Board member, and his former Test captain Gregan, as the second most capped player against New Zealand in Tests.

It will be the 27th time that he has faced the haka. Only David Campese, who crossed the All Blacks’ path on 29 occasions, has played New Zealand more times.

Sharpe retired from Super Rugby earlier this year having compiled a competition record 162 appearances spread across the Western Forceand Queensland Reds.

The Qantas Wallabies assemble in Brisbane on Sunday night ahead of Saturday week’s Castrol EDGE Bledisloe Cup Test against the All Blacks at Suncorp Stadium. The squad for the game will be named on Saturday.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
What a legend!

This is turning into some sort of John Farnham final tour except in this situation, people are glad he's breaking his promises.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I'm assuming it'll be the usual a 36-man touring squad.

I think so - it was 36 in 2010, the last real tour - 20 forwards and 16 backs.

It's interesting to note that only half of those 36 are likely to be touring in 2012 for one reason or another - though that depends on when and if injured 2012 players get healthy in time.

Does anybody know what midweek games will be played?

Status
Not open for further replies.