• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

England v Australia - Twickenham, 14 Nov, 4:30am AEDT

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I presume Petaia & Tupou will miss out. Really hoping Ala'alatoa is fine. Small squad makes replacements easy.

Keep the same team, Robertson on the bench for Tupou, Perese starts on the wing and Daugunu comes onto the bench. Pray for no more injuries.

edit: whoops sorry admins, I posted this in the general discussion area, could you please move it over to the match threads, cheers.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
With luck Tupou's passes the protocols and returns. I suspect he would have been starting (rotation) but under these circumstances probably will start from the pine.

I don't see a lot of changes barring the Petaia injury. And that's a bit scary, we'll have to do a lot better against England. Perhaps if we are serious about seeing Beale as a maturing calming leader then start him. And that is about all the tweaking available.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Would really like to see Lolesio go up against Smith from the start. Smith was very impressive off the bench against Tonga and looked much sharper than the starting No 10. Lolesio had a fair to good series against France before failing to step up against NZ. This would be a better contest to gauge where he's at right now.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Throwing Noah in to start at Twickenham would be a pretty strange move from Rennie. And incredibly tough on Noah.

Agreed. We need JOC (James O'Connor) to start, and address the lateral attack issues we had against Scotland.

The issue is England are just going to rush us all day, so a bit of subtlety in short kicking to pin them back is the start. Need to be a lot faster and more accurate in around the rucks. Scotlands forwards held us easily up front, and so England's will demolish us if we turn up like this morning.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Throwing Noah in to start at Twickenham would be a pretty strange move from Rennie. And incredibly tough on Noah.

I'm repeating myself, but surely Lolo is held in the broader squad until Wales and then is on the bench. Give him 30 if its going well, 10 otherwise.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Weird, eh. Trouble if JOC (James O'Connor) goes down.
After watching this morning’s game, I’m not too sure if JOC (James O'Connor) or KB (Kurtley Beale) (or Noah) will be better or worse. Didn’t realise how much I appreciated QC (Quade Cooper) until this morning.

Reactions: dru

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Agreed. We need JOC (James O'Connor) to start, and address the lateral attack issues we had against Scotland.

The issue is England are just going to rush us all day, so a bit of subtlety in short kicking to pin them back is the start. Need to be a lot faster and more accurate in around the rucks. Scotlands forwards held us easily up front, and so England's will demolish us if we turn up like this morning.
Do we have any kickers with that sort of skill?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Wow, this really highlights how little depth we have at tighthead behind Thor and AAA. We need to blood Pone early next year and hope he will be ready for RWC 2023.
not really. It was just a matter of circumstance given the next game is 6 days after the last test and then the final test is one week after. Easier to bring someone in who is in the country rather than fly someone over from Oz. In reality I think Zander, Fotuaika, HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes), Faulkner, Ruan Smith, Ross, Orr, Gibbon, Wagner and Lloyd give us plenty of domestic depth at prop.

Rugby Head

Watty Friend (18)
not really. It was just a matter of circumstance given the next game is 6 days after the last test and then the final test is one week after. Easier to bring someone in who is in the country rather than fly someone over from Oz. In reality I think Zander, Fotuaika, HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes), Faulkner, Ruan Smith, Ross, Orr, Gibbon, Wagner and Lloyd give us plenty of domestic depth at prop.
We've certainly got some props in Australia, up to international standard though? I'm scratching my head looking anywhere past Thor and AAA.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Eddie Jones being Eddie Jones....

“The breakdown against Australia is going to be brutal. Rennie’s teams are always renowned for being exceptional at the breakdown, so we are lucky we have got the best referee in the world next Saturday in Jaco Peyper who is particularly very good in that breakdown area. We are going to get a great contest.”

Has anyone ever referenced Peyper as the standout ref in World Rugby?

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Agreed... missing the experience and communication from the midfield.

There was a good example pointed out in the halftime break against Scotland, where we had a 5 on 2 overlap in our own half but instead we kicked the ball away.
That happened a bunch against France as well.

Paisami's rapid ascent has certainly seemed to plateau. He doesn't seem to be playing the same game that saw him burst into the team, either.