• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

England v Australia - Twickenham, 14 Nov, 4:30am AEDT

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Not sure we can say Kellaway is the future at 15. Banks is and will continue to be a top option 15. Then Hodge will probably be 15 at the Rebels with Kellaway on the wing.

It's nice he CAN play FB, but I think he is about as fullback as Drew Mitchell, Luke Morohan, Rod Davies, Lachie Turner etc. Wings, but who are a second backfield receiving and kicking option.
I think the general consensus is that Banks is a placeholder. That doesn't mean he's not the best option when fit, but he's only there as long as we don't have a test quality fullback. That could well be Kellaway, or Petaia, or even someone like Harrison or Donaldson in due course.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
He kinda is. That Japan try springs to mind.

He had time to just hit the receiver of the ball. Instead he shimmied in front of the player and proceeds to get absolutely shredded by a bloke with a standing start.
Like to see more commitment from Wrightin his tackling. Tends to only use arms. Needs to use his shoulders as well as arms. Anyone who gets past him and on the weekend will have virtually a free passage through our last line of defence.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
The Tom Wright vs Manu Tuilagi battle will be interesting. Wright to dance around him with the ball and Tuilagi to run over him when he has the ball.
I think Wright will be well matched with Tuilagi in defence. He played in the NRL where guys like Manu are in almost every team and Wright did a good job there. I feel that's part of the reason that he's never dominated a test v the Wallabies, most of these guys have grown up having to defend big hard ball runners.

Now waiting for someone to post about a test where he dominated us, my memory isn't what it used to be.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
We lost 38-21.

It doesn't mean that Kerevi wasn't our best or second best player.

I don't think it is an overstatement saying he's the most important player we have in our backline. He made a monumental difference the moment he stepped into the team and it's left a huge gulf when he departed. I think it's far harded for us to replace Kerevi than Cooper and am certain that Kerevi will be first choice for the next RWC whereas I'm not convinced Cooper will be.
I agree on Kerevi but also feel that Cooper is almost as important. Its him and then daylight at 10. Their combination is important. Cooper knows how to use Kerevi. Maybe one of the young blokes will learn how to do the same. Cooper also fed his forward runners very well. He could see them and visualise where the space was. The big difference between Japan and Scotland was no yards made by those forward runners last week. Cooper looks at least as fit as any other player in the squad.
As said we are also missing MK, and might have to get used to it.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think JOC (James O'Connor) will get there and ultimately be our first choice for the RWC if he can stay reasonably healthy over time.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I think JOC (James O'Connor) will get there and ultimately be our first choice for the RWC if he can stay reasonably healthy over time.
My view FWIW is that this is too early to start writing names in big black letters just yet. It will not surprise me if there is at least one bolter in the starting XV, maybe more.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
We lost 38-21.

I don't think it is an overstatement saying he's the most important player we have in our backline. He made a monumental difference the moment he stepped into the team and it's left a huge gulf when he departed. I think it's far harded for us to replace Kerevi than Cooper and am certain that Kerevi will be first choice for the next RWC whereas I'm not convinced Cooper will be.

One of the interesting changes with Kerevi this time has been the supports were coming from depth at times whilst his previous time had the holding width, playing pass the parcel, before dropping the ball

Tazzmania

Ted Thorn (20)
Anyway, none of this other bullshit matters to the Hoskins family:
And many others of us that went to that rally in Subiaco in 2004 and stood on the field to spell out Perth hoping one day there would be a pathway to the Wallabies for the rugby kids of Perth.

Seeing him run onto the field will be an emotional high for many of us die hard Perth (Force) rugby fans.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
We lost 38-21.

I'll go as far as to say Kerevi would arguably be the best 12 in the world. Certainly in the conversation despite only playing a few tests.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I think the general consensus is that Banks is a placeholder. That doesn't mean he's not the best option when fit, but he's only there as long as we don't have a test quality fullback. That could well be Kellaway, or Petaia, or even someone like Harrison or Donaldson in due course.

Banks gets a lot of stick. I would argue he IS a test quality fullback. He just isn't a world beater (yet). Not every player in the team is going to be pushing for a place in a world XV.

Reactions: dru

Viking

Mark Ella (57)

I disgree. He has zero good games on the board at Test level at 10. I think he's over-rated. Solid 10 at super level but not test standard.

I actually back Cooper to last until RWC, or Lolesio/Harrison maturing in 2 years before JOC (James O'Connor) being first choice.

Glad to be proven wrong though, always been a fan of JOC (James O'Connor).

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I disgree. He has zero good games on the board at Test level at 10. I think he's over-rated. Solid 10 at super level but not test standard.
It's ironic that this is your view of JOC (James O'Connor)....
Banks gets a lot of stick. I would argue he IS a test quality fullback. He just isn't a world beater (yet). Not every player in the team is going to be pushing for a place in a world XV.
yet this is your view of Banks.

Like you, I'm happy to be proven wrong

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
KOB, I think you subscribe to the view that Banks is just keeping the spot warm until a better No 15 arrives on the scene. I would suggest that JOC (James O'Connor) is in exactly the same position in relation to the No 10 spot. Probably unlikely that either will occupy those spots at RWC 23, but in the absence of Cooper, both are probably the best available right now. Ironic that some on here rate JOC (James O'Connor) as the No 15 we've been searching for, but he doesn't get to play there.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
KOB, I think you subscribe to the view that Banks is just keeping the spot warm until a better No 15 arrives on the scene. I would suggest that JOC (James O'Connor) is in exactly the same position in relation to the No 10 spot. Probably unlikely that either will occupy those spots at RWC 23, but in the absence of Cooper, both are probably the best available right now. Ironic that some on here rate JOC (James O'Connor) as the No 15 we've been searching for, but he doesn't get to play there.
I don’t disagree with that at all. I was very anti Tom after his first 17 lacklustre tests appearances but admit he was starting to grow into the role when he got injured. Like you I don’t think either are the answer in their respective positions, the irony was in the consecutive posts by Seb V, disputing the common view of one and then following it up with the same view of another. Not that there was anything wrong with that, I just thought it was funny. I think JOC (James O'Connor) is too slow for back 3 these days, and 13 also. His spot is 10 or 12 but he has to be good enough.

brokendown

Vay Wilson (31)
And many others of us that went to that rally in Subiaco in 2004 and stood on the field to spell out Perth hoping one day there would be a pathway to the Wallabies for the rugby kids of Perth.

Seeing him run onto the field will be an emotional high for many of us die hard Perth (Force) rugby fans.
Yep was there,also was in Sydney with the "innforcers" to watch his debut for the Western Force!

Kenny Powers

Ron Walden (29)
Also, who is Ollie Hoskings?
Is this a segue to the Brumbies crew mounting an argument for the 4th string tight head at the Brumbies?
We do after all have the 1st, 2nd and 3rd string hooker all playing in the last 2 Wallabies test. Which is quiet unusual even by Chekia standards.

Reactions: dru

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
This has really been a bit of a tour from hell for us. The whole Japanese player debacle after leaving a bunch of players at home, losing Reece Hodge after Japan and now the double TH prop whammy.
Hopefully adversity brings out the best in this bunch!