• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

England v New Zealand @ Twickenham

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Franks gets put into a lovely hole and anyone with more pace than obese baby hippo would've scored, fortunately the GOAT decides to jump over the line the next phase.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
This is hilarious
TMO to Owens, "Penalty against 2 black".
"So yellow card against who?"
TMO: "No yellow card, just penalty"
"Yellow card against 2 black then"
Nigel really really wanted to give that card.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
FT: England 21 - NZ 24.
Similar to the June Internationals, England scores in the last minute to make the score look a bit more favourable. The Poms started well and looked to have the ascendency in the first half. Dane Coles was yellow cared for foul play and as usual this kicked NZ in to attack and they dominated the second half.

Shelts89

Tom Lawton (22)
I felt Owens had a reasonably balanced game tbh. Scoreline flatters us (England) a bit. We were better in the 1st half, and the scoreline showed it, but the AB's out played us very convincingly in the second half. A massive downpour of weather, a man down, and they still looked in control the whole time. Very frustrating as a pom, but I guess not errible considering thats not really our best XV.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Sir Richie GOAT was MOM. Late penalty try to Soap Dodgers.

Terrible weather conditions in 2nd half. Beaugan Barrett had a shocker with the boot. Missed 2 easy penalties and 1 conversion to flatter the Soapies comeback.

NZL locked the game up by hanging on to the pill and playing down the ENG end when they had one in the naughty boys chair.

ACR

Bob Davidson (42)
Never seen such blatant bias by Owens. What a rubbish ref!

He certainly does things his way. Was the penalty try at the end really deserved? I just saw the scrum going sideways, (generally due the defending scrum) but it just looked messy to me. To be fair though I was looking at a computer screen showing about 7 pixels and stuttering it's way through.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
He certainly does things his way. Was the penalty try at the end really deserved? I just saw the scrum going sideways, (generally due the defending scrum) but it just looked messy to me. To be fair though I was looking at a computer screen showing about 7 pixels and stuttering it's way through.

In my book it was. We wheeled the scrum because of the pressure on the loosehead (Faumauina's) side. Two previous penalties, one scrum and one offside (from quick tap), not to mention another scrum penalty a little further down field, and it all points to a PT.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Both Aus and NZ concede penalty try's at scrum time but still manage to win. Might be a lesson in that for the NH teams.

Shelts89

Tom Lawton (22)
Both Aus and NZ concede penalty try's at scrum time but still manage to win. Might be a lesson in that for the NH teams.

I would say it's irrelevant. NZ won this game in the second half by playing a more restricted style and playing almost English rugby by playing the percentages and territory. The weather clearly had a factor in this though. It's not like we tried to play 10 man rugby and they ran around us the whole time.

Reactions: ACR

ACR

Bob Davidson (42)

Good point, they should also try getting some more yellow cards. We always seem to play better with one less.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Yeah both teams didn't overuse their scrum either, they pushed for it at the right moments. Only lesson would probably be that NH props may scrummage better but are way behind in around the park skills than SH counterparts.

Beefcake

Bill Watson (15)
I felt Owens had a reasonably balanced game tbh. Scoreline flatters us (England) a bit. We were better in the 1st half, and the scoreline showed it, but the AB's out played us very convincingly in the second half. A massive downpour of weather, a man down, and they still looked in control the whole time. Very frustrating as a pom, but I guess not errible considering thats not really our best XV.

Ur kidding me right. Its a shame that Owens felt he needed kept you in the game. The first try was a pearl, only a glitch cause Eng never looked like scoring again, with the rest of the effort disjointed, as I felt there was direction but lack of purpose or willingness to take the game to the darkness. Typical Eng display, too much physicality not enough balance with finess or control. Do Eng possess any AB kryptonite types players other than MT (out injuried) 'NO'. Any comparison across the park, I would struggle to find any parity. The usual jibe about NH being better scrummagers is rubbish, otherwise it would be a more consistent platform for set plays - Aus, SA & NZ all hold their own. And really boils down on NH vs SH refs. Again Owens was really poor especially in being consistent with his calls.

Shelts89

Tom Lawton (22)
Ur kidding me right. Its a shame that Owens felt he needed kept you in the game. The first try was a pearl, only a glitch cause Eng never looked like scoring again, with the rest of the effort disjointed, as I felt there was direction but lack of purpose or willingness to take the game to the darkness. Typical Eng display, too much physicality not enough balance with finess or control. Do Eng possess any AB kryptonite types players other than MT (out injuried) 'NO'. Any comparison across the park, I would struggle to find any parity. The usual jibe about NH being better scrummagers is rubbish, otherwise it would be a more consistent platform for set plays - Aus, SA & NZ all hold their own. And really boils down on NH vs SH refs. Again Owens was really poor especially in being consistent with his calls.

What part of convincingly outplayed and the scoreline flattered us did you not get?

As a pom I am allowed to be frustrated when we don't seem to be making any progress against the SH sides. As for Owens I still disagree, other than the penalty try to us ( I wouldn't have given it), I can't think of any controversial decisions.

Grant NZ

Bill Watson (15)
In my book it was. We wheeled the scrum because of the pressure on the loosehead (Faumauina's) side. Two previous penalties, one scrum and one offside (from quick tap), not to mention another scrum penalty a little further down field, and it all points to a PT.

2 previous penalties are completely irrelevant in determining a penalty try.

Tigs Man

Allen Oxlade (6)
Lancaster is so overrated as a coach he handles the media very well but I disagree with his tactics for example why bring on a attacking 10 like ford but then having to players next to him like Farrell and Barritt who show no attacking ability what so ever, Lancaster seems incapable of taking Farrell off. I give up May had the AB's on the outside so why not use him more?

Status
Not open for further replies.