• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

EOYT 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
I was of the view that the only things that would see KB (Kurtley Beale) getting the call up for this tour were either an injury to Folau or 2 or more injuries amongst the five touring 10/12's..beyond that I thought the sensible thing to do would be to leave him at home and start next year fresh..

However I do think a lot of people are making a lot of assumptions about why he has been called up, there is a lot of anti-Tah and anti-Beale sentiment here..a lot of the latter were anti-Beale in the first place, before this happened..we still don't know the underlying reason why he has been called over..

Whether we like it or not he was found guilty and penalised for one charge, and exonerated of the other..he is free to be selected and it was inevitable that it was going to happen between now and the RWC..Shatz is clearly heading over purely for injury cover and it is claimed by TGC that KB (Kurtley Beale) is going for the same reason..we are carrying an extra man in the squad now so my gut feel is that a back is carrying a niggle and about to be sent home..

signing out from here, back to the game thread.

Thinker

Darby Loudon (17)
The argument could be made that if Beale is going to get drunk and fight people it's better to do it in house where a lid can be kept on things.

Last time he assaulted someone outside the team environment it became public knowledge and he had to settle.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
However I do think a lot of people are making a lot of assumptions about why he has been called up, there is a lot of anti-Tah and anti-Beale sentiment here..a lot of the latter were anti-Beale in the first place, before this happened..we still don't know the underlying reason why he has been called over..

More an anti-fuck-knuckle sentiment than anything else.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
The argument could be made that if Beale is going to get drunk and fight people it's better to do it in house where a lid can be kept on things.

Last time he assaulted someone outside the team environment it became public knowledge and he had to settle.

The last time he tried to toell up someone in the Wallabies a number of years ago he got flogged. JOC (James O'Connor) stepped in to break it up and got into strife himself.

I'm sure KB (Kurtley Beale) will be on his best behaviour from now on.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
One only has to track the history of the whole beale saga to see why there is anti-tah sentiment. rightly or wrongly.

I'm also heading back to the match thread and will make this my final word on this issue. As stated above, I find it very difficult to justify Beale's inclusion on any front. His recent discretions, his history of disrupting teams on tour, his decidedly average performances for the wallabies in the last 12 months, and the wealth of talent already on tour and waiting for game time, are all reasons he should not have been picked. But I'm not as upset/fragile as some of the posters on this site. I dont make the decisions and at the end of the day as long as the Wallabies are winning games and the players arent playing up i couldnt give a shit who is chosen.

The idea that I would boycott my national team because i dont like the selection choices is petty. I'll always be behind the wallabies. At the very least we know that Cheika will keep Beale in line.

My only real concern, as stated earlier, is that Cheika is ultimately going to favour his NSW crew over more deserving players. There wasn't a lot to support that suggestion before today, but when Cheika brings in Beale when he's got Lilo/To'omua/Godwin all available already, it really makes you think.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
I would prefer if Beale wasn't in the squad, but could at least justify his inclusion if we had several injuries, but we dont. Seems to me Cheika intends to play beale at some point instead of the guys that have been on tour for the last month. that's really disappointing if its true. Cheika seems to just want to look after his Tahs.

he knows that he is more likely to retain his starting 12 next year if he includes him in the squad this year. Cheika is doing what he thinks is best for the tahs and not the wallabies.

Who wants to wager that the backline against England wont look like this
10. Foley
11. Horne
12. Beale
13. Kuridrani
14. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
15. Folau

Do you think Kuridrani is on a promise of a Tahs' contract?

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
The last time he tried to toell up someone in the Wallabies a number of years ago he got flogged. JOC (James O'Connor) stepped in to break it up and got into strife himself.

It was Beale and Diggers punching on in Paris, right?

tragic

John Solomon (38)
Not sure I follow the ARU hate on this one.
They wanted Beale gone, appointed an independent enquiry to ensure transparency, got criticised when Beales legal team asked for more time to prepare a defence, then got blindsided when the finding went the opposite to the way they expected.
They scramble to find another coach at short notice, one who sure as shit would have demanded the right to chose his own team before accepting the job, and now surprise fucking surprise beale is off to France.
What are they going to do - sack Cheika, say no to Beale and risk Cheika telling them to shove their coaching position? Or risk purported legal action?
Cheika is in a position of power and he knows it.
Theres only one fucktard in this situation and if you don't know who it is ask Gareth Delve.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)

One night of over-imbibing and the wheels could well and truly fall off again. Unfortunately for Aus rugby, Cheika has now hitched his wagon to the Beale train, and if Beale falls so will or should Cheika.

T

Train Without a Station

BDA you may think it's petty to not support them and that's your view. But personally I'd like to think I'm a bloke with a decent moral compass and a good regard for team culture.

I can't support a team if I'm starting to despise a growing number of the c***s playing for it. Whether I play or support It's because I have a strong emotional interest in the team.

I've at times declined to play first grade at clubs, despite the fact I'm a battler who struggles to get the chance simply because I've felt the team had a shithouse culture and I'd rather run around where I belong with the plebs in 2nd grade.

Obviously I do not expect professionals to do that in this case where they cannot just go to another employer or team and understand some that stay and two the line may not agree with that and I do not at all begrudge them for it.

I'm not a bandwagon jumper, I first subscribed to foxtel in order to watch reds games in 2007. The most games I ever attended was 2009. I still happily supported them this year.

Cheika though here has made a clear statement about the standards of the team. If that's the standard they hold, I don't respect him and them as a whole any more. For fucks sake, Beale doesn't even meet his standards of physicality that he talks about.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
TWAS, that's fair enough. Personally I think its a bit much to stop supporting our national team because a few of our players are shit blokes. If everyone took that approach the NSW Rugby League team would have no fans. :D

I think Cheika has made the wrong decision but he'll ultimately be judged by the team's results, not the quality of human in his team

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Cheika though here has made a clear statement about the standards of the team. If that's the standard they hold, I don't respect him and them as a whole any more. For fucks sake, Beale doesn't even meet his standards of physicality that he talks about.

Cheika has accepted the decision of a tribunal he had no involvement with.

Beale was found guilty and punished. As Cheika has said, if he thinks Beale is in his top group of players then he should pick him. I agree this decision is poor from a PR perspective but making the claim that the coach should not respect the tribunal's decision and instead base his selection decisions on public sentiment is ridiculous in my opinion.

Anyone saying they will no longer support the Wallabies is acting like Chicken Little and completely overreacting. If you refused to support any team or entity that has a sexual harassment incident you would very quickly run out of things to support.

No one has challenged the Reds decision to recruit Karmichael Hunt despite a sordid incident in his past. Naturally people get over these things and give people the benefit of the doubt.
How long will the outrage at Beale and the Wallabies last?

tragic

John Solomon (38)
I think Cheika has made the wrong decision but he'll ultimately be judged by the team's results, not the quality of human in his team

Do you really think his decision will influence the results? Not only is it ethically questionable, but based on TRC form (unless theres an injury we don't know about) Beales not even the 2nd best 12,15, or 10 in the side. So why risk a backlash for no reason??

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I think its wrong that KB (Kurtley Beale) has joined the squad mid way through but as BDA suggests above Chiek responsibility as national coach is to win games and with this tour specifically, have a good idea who his personel is for the world cup.

He understands that under his tutorage Beale can play some pretty handy footy and probably wants to use him at the world cup.

Some live by the motto that you can only judge people by how they relate to you. Maybe KB (Kurtley Beale) has earnt the respect of his franchise coach.

When Link left his post Australian rugby was in tatters they needed a true leader in every sense of the word to take the reins. Chiek is every bit the dictator and literally doesnt give a fuck about what anybody thinks of him. Agree with him or not (i dont) he was and still is the only man for the job.

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Do you really think his decision will influence the results? Not only is it ethically questionable, but based on TRC form (unless theres an injury we don't know about) Beales not even the 2nd best 12,15, or 10 in the side. So why risk a backlash for no reason??
That is a tragically incorrect statement

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
BH i accept all that you say about transgressions, tribunals and punishments. Cheika has said he thinks Beale is one of the top 33 players and so should have him in the team. What i and i suspect many other posters can't /won't accept is that the message sent to Oz rugby fans is "compromise" rather than "compliance" "the ends (winning) justifying the means".
just like all the other times he has been forgiven, Kurtley has got off lightly (IMO) again
and from a rugby perspective if there are no injuries to the current sqaud then who out of the 33 will he displace, English ? Godwin? Tommua ?

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Not sure I follow the ARU hate on this one.
They wanted Beale gone, appointed an independent enquiry to ensure transparency, got criticised when Beales legal team asked for more time to prepare a defence, then got blindsided when the finding went the opposite to the way they expected.
They scramble to find another coach at short notice, one who sure as shit would have demanded the right to chose his own team before accepting the job, and now surprise fucking surprise beale is off to France.
What are they going to do - sack Cheika, say no to Beale and risk Cheika telling them to shove their coaching position? Or risk purported legal action?
Cheika is in a position of power and he knows it.
Theres only one fucktard in this situation and if you don't know who it is ask Gareth Delve.
They could say no its a 33 man squad we can only send an injury replacement. So Jake of Beale.

Status
Not open for further replies.