• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

EOYT 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Get angry at the tribunal who determined the punishment.

Everyone else involved had to accept their decision.

Who knows whether Beale will play one of the next two games. I don't know what Cheika is planning. He may just have decided that this is one of his few opportunities to have the Wallabies squad together for an extended period before the RWC and he wants as many of the players he considers in his top squad there and being part of it.
Maybe Cheika though that Beale's recall was going to be controversial at any stage and he'd prefer to get it over and done with now rather than in July next year just a couple of months before the World Cup.

tragic

John Solomon (38)
That is a tragically incorrect statement

Really?
12 - To'omua/ lilo
10 Foley/Cooper
15 Folau/ two dads. This is probably the most contentious but I'd rather have 2dads under the high ball and speight on the wing if Izzy was injured.
I was keen to see Beale get a start when he looked good off the bench against the french, but rapidly changed that opinion after seeing him come up short against better defensive and attacking sides in TRC.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Get angry at the tribunal who determined the punishment.

Everyone else involved had to accept their decision.

Who knows whether Beale will play one of the next two games. I don't know what Cheika is planning. He may just have decided that this is one of his few opportunities to have the Wallabies squad together for an extended period before the RWC and he wants as many of the players he considers in his top squad there and being part of it.
Maybe Cheika though that Beale's recall was going to be controversial at any stage and he'd prefer to get it over and done with now rather than in July next year just a couple of months before the World Cup.
July he would have been fine if Beale was in form. Too much water for this Test season. But it is what it is.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Cheika has accepted the decision of a tribunal he had no involvement with.

Beale was found guilty and punished. As Cheika has said, if he thinks Beale is in his top group of players then he should pick him. I agree this decision is poor from a PR perspective but making the claim that the coach should not respect the tribunal's decision and instead base his selection decisions on public sentiment is ridiculous in my opinion.

Anyone saying they will no longer support the Wallabies is acting like Chicken Little and completely overreacting. If you refused to support any team or entity that has a sexual harassment incident you would very quickly run out of things to support.

No one has challenged the Reds decision to recruit Karmichael Hunt despite a sordid incident in his past. Naturally people get over these things and give people the benefit of the doubt.
How long will the outrage at Beale and the Wallabies last?
But who's injured and coming home for Beale to go. It's a job for the boys. It's his right but I can call it bullshit..

Tah and feathered

Watty Friend (18)
4 people lost there jobs because of Beale's actions.
1 is supposedly highly stressed with suicide thoughts
1 has his reputation severly damaged and Beale is of too Europe to play test match footy and pick up 10k a game and if he doesnt play footy gets a paid vacation 1st class. Not sure if thats fair
Cheika has made a bad call as its not to cover an injured player and whilst cheika says he is not going to become involved in politics when you are in charge of the National team you need to be aware of politics as the paying punters will vote with there feet and not go too games or buy merchandise.
I have told my kids not to buy me any ArU stuff for Xmas and not to buy me a ticket too next years sydney test matches for my birthday present.
I will watch on TV but thats all.

T

Train Without a Station

BH you're kidding yourself if you think it's about one issue with Beale. It's about him repeatedly having issues and becoming disruptive to a positive culture.

Over time he has proven to have problems with (many more than once):

Alcohol
Violence
Maintaining professional standards
Maintaining elite level conditioning
Dealing with women
Dealing with authority.

He's proven that repeatedly he has issues that negatively impact the team.

He left Sydney to get away from the spotlight, he left Melbourne to get closer to his "support network". It's never his fault.

If you think I'm being petty and overreactive I suggest you pull your head out of the sand.

Phipps was right, everybody deserves a second chance. That has passed.

Just because the ARU's hands were tied it doesn't mean Cheika had to pick him. I can't help but think that a coach as strong as Cheika is made out to be, would make the strong decision not to pick him.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Really?
12 - To'omua/ lilo
10 Foley/Cooper
15 Folau/ two dads. This is probably the most contentious but I'd rather have 2dads under the high ball and speight on the wing if Izzy was injured.
I was keen to see Beale get a start when he looked good off the bench against the french, but rapidly changed that opinion after seeing him come up short against better defensive and attacking sides in TRC.

I don't think Cheika sees Beale as a 10/12 at international level..at Super rugby it's about getting the best 15 players from your contracted squad on the field for the majority of the game, which is a different mindset to coaching the national team where he has the flexibility to call up the 5/8 from the Dubbo Roos if he so desires..

all things being equal we are going to see the following 5 blokes compete for the four back 3 spots at the RWC (3 starters + #23):
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
JOC (James O'Connor)
Speight
Folau
Beale

One of them will miss out..

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
Just because the ARU's hands were tied it doesn't mean Cheika had to pick him. I can't help but think that a coach as strong as Cheika is made out to be, would make the strong decision not to pick him.

I'd argue the point that picking him is just a strong decision as not picking him would have been.

T

Train Without a Station

I'd argue the point that picking him is just a strong decision as not picking him would have been.

A strong decision that he supports a player who is repeatedly a disruptive Influence because he is good on the field.

lewisr

Bill McLean (32)
BH you're kidding yourself if you think it's about one issue with Beale. It's about him repeatedly having issues and becoming disruptive to a positive culture.

Over time he has proven to have problems with (many more than once):

Alcohol
Violence
Maintaining professional standards
Maintaining elite level conditioning
Dealing with women
Dealing with authority.

He's proven that repeatedly he has issues that negatively impact the team.

He left Sydney to get away from the spotlight, he left Melbourne to get closer to his "support network". It's never his fault.

If you think I'm being petty and overreactive I suggest you pull your head out of the sand.

Phipps was right, everybody deserves a second chance. That has passed.

And this is the key point. Up until now it was solely the tribunal's decision as to whether or not his actions were of an acceptable nature. But now we have the coach and captain strongly endorsing a player who has repeatedly shown he couldnt give less of a shit about the jersey, team or fans and apparently has no sense of consequences.

I for one can't support a team that is coached and captained by two men who apparently think sexism, harassment and a long list of misconduct issues are acceptable attributes for a Wallaby. And no, i bloody well don't think that's an over reaction - what a horrible culture and mantra to associate yourself with.

I hope, for KBs sake if nothing else, that someone wakes up and realises how bad this decision is for everyone involved. Pulver better wake the fuck up and pull any top up offer off the table,

tragic

John Solomon (38)
Don't think their unemployment status should be put onto Beale. They made the decision themselves.
Rubbish.
If there's clear cause and effect, then there is also responsibility.
If someone commits suicide due to bullying do you also absolve the perpetrator of guilt? Because the law doesn't.

T

Train Without a Station

Back to his disruptive influence, can we say it didn't have an affect on the team before the Argentina loss? Obviously you cannot blame Beale for the loss, but close games come down to every little advantage, and not being caught up in a media shitstorm before the game would be a good advantage for a team.

Thinker

Darby Loudon (17)
Despite what the shame tribunal found the legal test for sexual harassment is pretty clear. Patston would not have quit if the that did not occur. Link would still be there if that did not occur.

Patston still hasn't pursued compensation against Beale. Though the longer it goes, the more the ARU drop themselves in it and possibly move from not being liable to being liable. (Sub note: the ARU is not liable for Beales actions but they have to do everything in their powers to prevent it etc, or they become liable. If there is a "2nd" texter, surely they have to identify and punish in the same matter as Beale, or the become liable).

Cheika is the exact personification of the the entitlement culture we have. Instead of jumping at the Wobs job and giving it the respect it deserved, he wanted the job under his own terms (eg coach the tahs etc etc). Now he picks Beale under the guise that he has to do what is best for the team.

Maybe having a dedicated coach is best for the team?

Maybe a captain who has even an ounce of leadership ability would be best for the team?

Not political? How else could you explain Beales selection when there is no spot to fill?

Status
Not open for further replies.