• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

EOYT 2016 - Possibles, probables and general banter

Status
Not open for further replies.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
At least rugby supporters have progressed to realise we are fighting a war on talent with league especially which we don't do so well fighting for our schoolboy stars but do better in later years for proven talent with aru top up money. Most of the debate is on timing of selection for wallabies - and not the fact we have poached a league star. Which is good in my books as other codes have no such concerns!!!

I think rugby fans and traditionalists are finally growing up accepting we need to compete for stars in other codes to even up the ledger on league poaching our school boy stars as they don't seem to get so hung up poaching from another code. In time with the advent of the professional game I think more and more fans will accept things like koroibete selection for end of year tour in terms of wild card events to move the team forward and win games. As winning in the professional arena is the number one kpi that secures financial returns and benefits that comes with.

Rugby as struggled in this country as not faced up with the realities of professionalism. I see signs those at the top are slowly realising that which is positive signs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

League are eliminating their 20s comp and we're really just growing ours. In addition to this, our U20 RWC looks a lot more appealing than the U20 SoO and internationals.

I doubt this will help for the top 1% of talent that are worth an NRL contract out of school (like Blaise Barnes) but for the rest of the Aus and NSW/Qld Schoolboy players, it should serve us well to keep them in our game.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I've just cut fox following NRC.

Not sure I would pick it up just for these tests but I do find it ridiculous they aren't on free to air.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)

Not sure I would pick it up just for these tests but I do find it ridiculous they aren't on free to air.

That'll hurt 'em Reg:)

But I agree if enough people did it, it would make a difference.

Trouble is Fox offers so much more than shitty FTA channels so I'm staying

MarkJ

Bob Loudon (25)

It looks like beIN have an online version of their service and they offer a one month free trial, so that should cover off the tests they're showing.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I thought rugby tests fell into the protected category and therefore FTA had first dibs on taking them. Does that not apply to tests overseas?

If these were protected tests, then I think that would illustrate perfectly just where FTA sees rugby in the programming targets.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
That'll hurt 'em Reg:)

But I agree if enough people did it, it would make a difference.

Trouble is Fox offers so much more than shitty FTA channels so I'm staying

I used to have all the channels and two boxes. I now have one unit and only have the Sports and whatever other crap I have to keep so I can have Rugby. It only gets turned on now so I can watch the Rugby. Since I had NBN installed my kids just watch their YouTube rubbish and Netflix/Stan etc.

If there is a streaming option for Super Rugby Foxtel will get ditched altogether.

Reactions: dru

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
I thought rugby tests fell into the protected category and therefore FTA had first dibs on taking them. Does that not apply to tests overseas?

If these were protected tests, then I think that would illustrate perfectly just where FTA sees rugby in the programming targets.
They are definately on the anti-siphoning list.

What that means in practice, especially when it's foreign companies/unions that are both sellling and obtaining the rights is anyone's guess.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
That'll be the biggest issue ATM, how much the domestic broadcasters are demanding.

Having not read through the legislation, it appears that if a sporting event is on the Anti-Siphoning list, and not sold to FTA broadcaster 12 weeks before it happens, it gets "deregistered" so anyone can grab it.

So of 7,9 & 10 are offering the best part of a pittance for the rights, the domestic broadcasters can simply hold out until then and get something closer to perceived value from one of Fox, Eurosport and BeIN. The T20 World Cup or whatever they're calling it went through something similar I think, but the issue there was that there was Star Sports wanted massive amounts, and only 9 or 10 (can't remember) and Fox were willing to bid, so there was no incentive for it to go up.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Free-to-air are picking up some strange sporting products and have more channels than ever. I think it must be a case of the product being over valued, unless there's something I'm missing.

I mean really, the games are on at 3am on a Sunday. The time when the only people watching TV are saying "fuck it, I guess I'll watch this" (and with Netflix, who the fuck are these people?). If literally ANYONE is willing to get up, it's a massive positive.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
RugbyReg,

Foxtel is a dying proposition anyway. All they have are sport and the contract they managed to sneak through to the keeper with HBO right before they changed the way they distribute content.

We're maximum 10 years away from a sporting product emulating Netflix, most of the American sports already have their own ones (though they have the advantage of simpler content ownership).

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Issue is of course is that everyone and their mother will be trying to run their own platform, and trying to bring in a flagship program to do so.

HBO Go, Netflix, Amazon and Hulu are the established ones in the states, but we've seen Yahoo Screen crash and burn with Community, and we're going to see CBS All Access do the same with Star Trek Discovery.

Making any sort of prediction, particularly ones that suggest benefits to the consumer is fraught with danger IMO.

As it stands, Foxtel is good value for my family because we watch quite a lot of sport, from quite a few places and codes, and that's before access to some other stuff (Veep, Silicon Valley, Outlander, Game of Thrones and the Walking Dead to name a few).

I can understand that isn't the case for people who just want Super Rugby, or AFL, or HBO, or CW, but the loudest complaints in general seem to be from those who want all the premium content without the channels running reality shows and syndicated content. Failing to realose of course that those channels will run on an oily rag and are probably worth somewhere between $0.20 and $1, when you're looking at $5 to $10 a pop for Sport and Premium, maybe even a little more for your HBO and the like. I don't see that changing whether we go a la carte, or whether we transition to a streaming model.

stoff

Bill McLean (32)
I've read somewhere recently (but am not going to google for a link), that Foxtel will be transmitting sport in hd over their vod platform next year. That will be the end of the Foxtel box at my place.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Free-to-air are picking up some strange sporting products and have more channels than ever. I think it must be a case of the product being over valued, unless there's something I'm missing.

I mean really, the games are on at 3am on a Sunday. The time when the only people watching TV are saying "fuck it, I guess I'll watch this" (and with Netflix, who the fuck are these people?). If literally ANYONE is willing to get up, it's a massive positive.
Lot of people like me just tape these games and watch at more civilised hours

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)
In some alternate universe, could the ARU create a streaming service themselves for all Australian rugby and keep the proceeds directly?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
In some alternate universe, could the ARU create a streaming service themselves for all Australian rugby and keep the proceeds directly?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Doesn't quite work that way as they have to buy the rights to telecast / stream

Status
Not open for further replies.