• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

EOYT 2016 - Possibles, probables and general banter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
It'd work for NRC, Club Rugby, and Inbound Tours.

For Super Rugby and the Rugby Championship it would involve negotiations with SANZAAR, while the EOYT would need negotiations with the domestic broadcasters.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Streaming would be unable to be recorded so would only appeal to the few without Foxtel and willing to get up at that time. Probably not worth it for a few live games.

Complete joke that not even a replay can get on FTA. If the Saturday 3am timeslot is full I wouldn't care if the replay is 3am Tuesday. Watching it after the fact anyway.

T

TOCC

Streaming would be unable to be recorded so would only appeal to the few without Foxtel and willing to get up at that time. Probably not worth it for a few live games.

Complete joke that not even a replay can get on FTA. If the Saturday 3am timeslot is full I wouldn't care if the replay is 3am Tuesday. Watching it after the fact anyway.

You don't need to record with streaming because you can watch it on-demand after it's been broadcast

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Foxtel is a dying proposition anyway. All they have are sport and the contract they managed to sneak through to the keeper with HBO right before they changed the way they distribute content.

We're maximum 10 years away from a sporting product emulating Netflix, most of the American sports already have their own ones (though they have the advantage of simpler content ownership).

People have been saying Foxtel is a dying business for about the last decade.

It's currently the most profitable media company in Australia.

The business is 20 years old and if it lasts another 10 in its current form it has probably done pretty well for its owners.

I agree that the media landscape is changing fairly rapidly and there is lots of uncertainty in the market. I'd argue that the FTA networks are probably in a tougher position than Foxtel though.

Certainly one thing on Foxtel's side is the poor quality NBN which is being built with limited coverage. Foxtel's cable network is still a very viable asset for connectivity purposes and looks likely to remain that way, particularly as under the current NBN plan it will remain the primary internet asset in lots of areas.

Reactions: mst

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Surely they would own the rights to their own product?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
But what counts as their own product?

Super Rugby and the Rugby Championship are products of SANZAAR, not the ARU.

And I'm fairly certain you're looking at having to buy the broadcast rights from the domestic broadcaster if you're playing overseas, based on something along the lines of: [Host Union] must approve all matches on their territory, condition for approval is that worldwide broadcast rights default to [company] for a period of [time] after which they return to [Host Union]"

That leaves the NRC, Club Rugby, the inbound tours and the third Bledisloe, if it's held in Australia, by my reckoning.

And the World Cup itself is a World Rugby product, so they can flog it to anyone and everyone.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
In some alternate universe, could the ARU create a streaming service themselves for all Australian rugby and keep the proceeds directly?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Hypothetically, yes. But right now I'd say the revenue from selling the rights far exceeds what they'd make running a 'league pass'-esc platform.

_____

Frank Row (1)
Really upsetting tbh. At least BeIN have a one month free trial. So, you can get away watching all the games they broadcast (Wales, Scotland, Ireland) for free. Foxtel Play also offers a two week trial. The France and England games (the two beIN aren't playing) are exactly 2 weeks apart, so if you time it right you might be able to watch every game on free trials. (Unless the trials end at midnight)

Emailed the ARU a while back asking about FTA and at that stage they said 10 were broadcasting(see attached image)..wonder what changed.

Attachments

• Re__Spring_Tour_Broadcast___ref__00D90myaQ__500901Q34dC_ref___-__Gmail.jpg
    Re__Spring_Tour_Broadcast___ref__00D90myaQ__500901Q34dC_ref___-__Gmail.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 185

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
We're maximum 10 years away from a sporting product emulating Netflix, most of the American sports already have their own ones (though they have the advantage of simpler content ownership).

IF Foxtel Play comes out in HD this will be a moot point as Foxtel will have transitioned into having a web presence. As it stands, you can get their sport channels over the internet BUT it's all in SD which is absolutely pathetic when you're used to their HD broadcasts. Then there's problem for most Australian's which will be there own internet connection.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

The business is 20 years old and if it lasts another 10 in its current form it has probably done pretty well for its owners.

I agree that the media landscape is changing fairly rapidly and there is lots of uncertainty in the market. I'd argue that the FTA networks are probably in a tougher position than Foxtel though.

Certainly one thing on Foxtel's side is the poor quality NBN which is being built with limited coverage. Foxtel's cable network is still a very viable asset for connectivity purposes and looks likely to remain that way, particularly as under the current NBN plan it will remain the primary internet asset in lots of areas.

The latest IQ box is apparently planned to be able to run apps such as Netflix etc, keeping them in the mix and an easier option for those less technically able

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
I thought some of Koroibete chat was getting pretty inane (my posts included) - but then reading the last 40 odd posts, I think I'd prefer some more hand wringing on the Koroibete inclusion or some Hooper vs Pocock chat. I understand it's a big deal, the Tour not being on FTA TV but still.....

Reactions: mst

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
IF Foxtel Play comes out in HD this will be a moot point as Foxtel will have transitioned into having a web presence. As it stands, you can get their sport channels over the internet BUT it's all in SD which is absolutely pathetic when you're used to their HD broadcasts. Then there's problem for most Australian's which will be there own internet connection.

Is SD really a deal breaker? I mean, for now, Foxtel Play is free anyway.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Yes.
This is going to sound dramatic, but after always having had HD, due to some glitch in at Foxtel my HD got turned off one weekend before maybe a Reds game or something. I turned on to catch the end of the earlier match and it was in SD and seriously unwatchable. Dealbreaker indeed. Rugby is SD is not a saleable product.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
I'll be honest and say I watch a lot of European rugby on very shitty steams it just doesn't bother me.

It's okay, I'm intending to get Foxtel's online product this week and will stop being a mooch. It'll mean I can stop being a dodgy fucker that steals the HBO and rugby content I love dearly.

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)
But what counts as their own product?

Super Rugby and the Rugby Championship are products of SANZAAR, not the ARU.

And I'm fairly certain you're looking at having to buy the broadcast rights from the domestic broadcaster if you're playing overseas, based on something along the lines of: [Host Union] must approve all matches on their territory, condition for approval is that worldwide broadcast rights default to [company] for a period of [time] after which they return to [Host Union]"

That leaves the NRC, Club Rugby, the inbound tours and the third Bledisloe, if it's held in Australia, by my reckoning.

And the World Cup itself is a World Rugby product, so they can flog it to anyone and everyone.

I don't really follow i must admit. I can see how Super Rugby would not necessarily be an ARU product. I can see how the ARU might be forced to give up its rights to a third party in international away games. But surely, at the very least, they'd have control over home internationals? They pay for and provide the team and stadium, how could they not?

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
I don't really follow i must admit. I can see how Super Rugby would not necessarily be an ARU product. I can see how the ARU might be forced to give up its rights to a third party in international away games. But surely, at the very least, they'd have control over home internationals? They pay for a provide the team and stadium, how could they not?
Rugby Championship is the only thing that's a little bit blurry IMO.

The "assumption" I've been making is that the Rugby Championship rights were done the same way as Super Rugby, that is to say, each Union negotiates with its domestic Broadcaster, subject to SANZAAR approval and international rights sold as a group, with all funds split.

In that case, unless the ARU could come close to matching Pay TV funds, that wouldn't be looked upon very nicely.

Whereas if it's selling the three home games they get the money for, it's feasible, but that's a massive financial hit. For starters, you're looking at missing out on the actual money. Then the advertising and marketing deals. And then there's the production costs being shifted to the ARU. Can you guarantee the streaming money covering that?

And is the platform worth it if it doesn't have all the Tests? I'm not paying a lot for 6 or 7 tests, even if it came with NRC streaming. You'd be looking at being the highest bidder for at least 8 away games, 9 if NZ host the 3rd Bledisloe. While you could justify not broadcasting other games in the June or November, but you probably need the Rugby Championship to round it out, and that's another 6 games where you're paying top dollar.

I don't see that as realistic right now.

I'd say maybe 2020 with NZ trying to hold out for more away tour cash.

But the English and French seem just as happy to threaten Six Nations Part 2, Electric Boogaloo, and everybody else seems happy to wait for what works best for them financially. So maybe not.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)

I agree FTA is looking pretty vulnerable and Foxtel has positioned itself well.

If you go with the current trend in the US telco's are merging with Pay TV providers. It puts Foxtel / Telstra in the box seat. One driver according to the reports is sport is lucrative but expensive. Different realm to things like Netflix etc. The US regulators are very concerned with such moves.

Status
Not open for further replies.