• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Evolution at Green and Gold Rugby - PLEASE READ

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Why doesn't he deserve a fair hearing?
His points were well made, he wasn't abusive.
There is no point to a forum if everyone must be of the same view.It turns a forum into a blog.
Well, he does deserve a fair hearing. If we didn't want feedback, this thread would have been locked at the beginning. All points are taken on board.
I can only say this several times, wait and see how it goes. I suspect people will find the functionality of the site will be little changed, but hopefully the quality of the content will improve. The latter is our desired endpoint.

Reactions: daz

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I'm not disputing or challenging any changes to the site.I was only commenting on whether a reasonably made point was deserving of a fair hearing.
You guys make any changes you like, I have no problem with that at all.
Obviously the intentions are good, which is always a good base from which to build/change anything.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Why doesn't he deserve a fair hearing?
His points were well made, he wasn't abusive.
There is no point to a forum if everyone must be of the same view.It turns a forum into a blog.

Because he accused G&GR of being pompous and arrogant in a pompous and arrogant way. Try reading every word of that post. It doesn't make any points worth responding to.

My opinion.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
They're a colourful bunch over there.

Wild. Just back from a first browse over there.

They are welcome to it, and anyone from here who is not comfortable with the proposed trial should be encouraged to take their business over to PR.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
This new rule just had an effect on me.

True story.

I found this page by Al Baxter, titled "5 things we learnt (about the Wallabies)."

I had an impulse to start a sarcastic thread called something like: "1 thing we learnt about Al Baxter."

Then the new rules kicked in and I thought - nah, fuck it, it's just an opportunity to rehash everyone's opinion of Robbie Deans. We really don't need any more threads like that.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
When I read the first post I sat in stunned silence which quickly turned to into a minor rage induced apoplexy.

On calm reflection, I doubt this will have any major reprecussions on how the place opperates. But I will say this requirement VV comes across as if we are submitting homework for assessment by the teacher.

This will be reviewed by a “Thread Starter” and if good enough, the post becomes a thread.

I think if this had have been worded differently the reaction would not have been as hostile. Perhaps something along the lines of "This will be reviewed by a Thread Starter and if the content will increase the quality of the discussion it will become a thread. If it is clearly state V state baiting or content designed to increase disharmony it will be deleted".

The mods reassurements have gone a long way to reassuring my initial reservations. I'm confident it will be implemented in good faith and hopefully have the desired effect.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
When I read the first post I sat in stunned silence which quickly turned to into a minor rage induced apoplexy.
I'm still at this stage.

I'm not really a fan of how this is planned out. I didn't see anything wrong with the processes and format that was in place beforehand. Unfourtunately this will probably exclude newer posters from continuing (or joining) the forums.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
This new rule just had an effect on me.

True story.

I found this page by Al Baxter, titled "5 things we learnt (about the Wallabies)."

I had an impulse to start a sarcastic thread called something like: "1 thing we learnt about Al Baxter."

Then the new rules kicked in and I thought - nah, fuck it, it's just an opportunity to rehash everyone's opinion of Robbie Deans. We really don't need any more threads like that.

dunno summers coming, we will need something to talk about

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I apologise, as it was not intended to be read that way.
In my defence, although this change has not been a sanp decision by anyone, the initial post was done during a time when I have had a lot on my plate, so perhaps could have been proofed a little better.
I think most people will find little or no change in their functionality, and the wholesale blocking of threads just is not the agenda.
We hope the content will improve.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Wild. Just back from a first browse over there.

They are welcome to it, and anyone from here who is not comfortable with the proposed trial should be encouraged to take their business over to PR.
PR is awesome. It's a rugby forum in name only though, completely different site to this.

I think it's a weird decision myself, but then there aren't that many new threads started daily so it won't make much of a difference.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
People say Facebook and Twitter are also awesome.

I just don't "get" them, and can't be bothered investing the time necessary to "get" them. Like the skiing vs shredding argument.

Snowboarding may be awesome, but I've invested too much time, effort and enjoyment in skiing to revert to the bottom of the pile and try to convert to shredding, whch would result in spending 1/2 my day on my arse, and the other 1/2 with my face planted the snow.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
People say Facebook and Twitter are also awesome.

I just don't "get" them, and can't be bothered investing the time necessary to "get" them. Like the skiing vs shredding argument.

Snowboarding may be awesome, but I've invested too much time, effort and enjoyment in skiing to revert to the bottom of the pile and try to convert to shredding, whch would result in spending 1/2 my day on my arse, and the other 1/2 with my face planted the snow.

What % of your day would involve saying "Sorry" to people that you had crashed into?

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
You have obviously never been on the slopes boyo.
Boarders don't apologise, they use your body as leverage,so they can get up easier and continue down the hill looking for other slow moving targets.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
My only criticism of the change of format would be the splitting off of a new forum for Rugby Matches.

The rugby matches haved formed a large part of the discussion in the busiest forum (Rugby Discussion) and it seems like it will be an annoyance to go to another forum for half the threads.

In my experience having less separate forums makes for easier navigation.

Status
Not open for further replies.