• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Ewen McKenzie labels the ARU contracting process as 'Frustrating, Difficult'

Status
Not open for further replies.

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
So the reds and tahs have to keep acting as talent identification and training for the other states? Surely their costs of doing this needs to be factored into the transfer process?
You need to read your work Your statemnt. you refer to the Reds and Tahs... they're teams not states... pretty simple really... I referred to teams as you did... brumbies Force Rebels... they develop players not the states mate....

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Not sure if I'm just being paranoid, but the numbers on the poll at the bottom of this article look a bit suss to me.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u.al-contract-says-aru-20121121-29p65.html#poll

I'm sure a few days ago the numbers were much lower (like 4,000 or something), and that the split was about 60/40 in favour of saying the Wallabies don't need him. Seems to have been a massive shift the other way. Hmmmmm.

Yeah definitely manipulated 90k is way too many votes

Scotty

David Codey (61)
You need to read your work Your statemnt. you refer to the Reds and Tahs. they're teams not states. pretty simple really. I referred to teams as you did. brumbies Force Rebels. they develop players not the states mate..

What is with the passive aggressive, mate.

QRU runs the reds, and i corrected myself above your post.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
You need to read your work Your statemnt. you refer to the Reds and Tahs. they're teams not states. pretty simple really. I referred to teams as you did. brumbies Force Rebels. they develop players not the states mate..

How many players developed in those states (or teams since we are being pedantic) have played for the Wallabies? How many have had at least a season of super rugby? Genuine question and you have bought it up a few times so seem like the man to ask.

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
States and super teams are completely different… sates include local clubs… even if your a Queensland... I understand QLD dudes have issues with this demarcation... but it’s a reality… If Reds were so deep with its so called developed talent why did it take so long to get a good team together?

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
States and super teams are completely different… sates include local clubs… even if your a Queensland. I understand QLD dudes have issues with this demarcation. but it’s a reality… If Reds were so deep with its so called developed talent why did it take so long to get a good team together?

Stop changing the subject and making these claims if you aren't willing to back them up with facts. How many players currently contracted to a super franchise did not play there first grade games in QLD or NSW?

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
States and super teams are completely different… sates include local clubs… even if your a Queensland. I understand QLD dudes have issues with this demarcation. but it’s a reality… If Reds were so deep with its so called developed talent why did it take so long to get a good team together?

Have you only been following the game for five minutes? Queensland has had many great teams over the last 5 decades at least!
The had a rough patch in the 2000's ... the advent of the Force & the subsequent pillaging of Queenslands best in their formative years didn't help.... but that's another story.... The Reds & QRU are inextricably linked and always have been. Doesn't mean they always will be, but as it stands today they are not completely different.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
That’s complete make believe, you should be writing for Disney… the Brumbies and Force have developed plenty of talent, and I'm sure the Rebels will over coming years. The Reds and Tahs have just been poorly managed by dilettantes in the past.
Names?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JJJ

Vay Wilson (31)
Is this because Genia was chasing more cash from the ARU and didn't accept their initial offer? Are players taking advantage of the ARU and are slow to commit?

I wonder if Genia is waiting to see how QC (Quade Cooper)'s negotiation goes? If it falls through that'd free up a "substantial" amount of dosh (according to Nuci) which he might like first crack at.

JJJ

Vay Wilson (31)

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
Stop changing the subject and making these claims if you aren't willing to back them up with facts. How many players currently contracted to a super franchise did not play there first grade games in QLD or NSW?

Don’t blur the discussion line... we’re not talking state of origin here… the original comment wasn't about first grade club games or school boy rep and which state they played them in... it was about the Reds and Tahs doing all the scouting and training for talent... thats the disney show I refer to... My position is the other super franchises develop plenty of their own talent and they do... These guys come from many back grounds... Read Scotty's original statement below... there is no transfer process fee in super rugby...

Scotty said:
So the reds and tahs have to keep acting as talent identification and training for the other states? Surely their costs of doing this needs to be factored into the transfer process?​
Just a ludicrous statement... One example is the Reds were both the Faingga brothers are Wallabies... developed at the Brumbies... JOC (James O'Connor) & Pocock at the Western force... George Smith... Giteau, George Gregan, Larkham, Ben Alexander, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Nic White, Sam Carter, Robbie Coleman, Kimlin, Mogg, To'omua, Vaea, Kuridrani, Lealiifano, Tomane, Power... the list goes on all these players and more were professionally developed at the other super franchiases outside of the Reds & Tahs...

Langthorne

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Does anyone know how much funding comes from the ARU to each Super team?

Is this funding in any way related to the TV rights for Super rugby?

What percentage of the salary cap (and overall team budgets) does this funding represent?

It seems to me that Super rugby TV rights would be 'ARU funds' in the similar way to tax revenue being 'government funds' - they would not be 'giving' the money to the Super teams, but rather 'returning' it. It may be that (I'm not sure of the system) the ARU is 'delivering' the funds (minus a handling fee for negotiating the deal on behalf of the Super teams).

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I do struggle with the concept of players having no development in the club system and then being "transformed" into S15 players by magic
Guys like Ben Alexander, Nic White, McCabe, Andrew Smith & Sam Carter et al were all good players in Sydney club before they were "discovered"

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Does anyone know how much funding comes from the ARU to each Super team?

Is this funding in any way related to the TV rights for Super rugby?

What percentage of the salary cap (and overall team budgets) does this funding represent?

I believe the ARU contributes about $4.1m of the $4.5m the Australian Super Rugby franchises are allowed to spend on players.

It most definitely comes from the S15 TV deal.

It seems to me that Super rugby TV rights would be 'ARU funds' in the similar way to tax revenue being 'government funds' - they would not be 'giving' the money to the Super teams, but rather 'returning' it. It may be that (I'm not sure of the system) the ARU is 'delivering' the funds (minus a handling fee for negotiating the deal on behalf of the Super teams).

To an extent yes, but the ARU is the one signing the deal and agreeing to provide five Super Rugby franchises. The ARU issues S15 licenses and thus has a large amount of control over what happens.

It isn't like the S15 franchises have their own ability to sell TV rights to their games or anything.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
People need to get over the fact that the other franchises are 'stealing' players from Sydney and Brisbane.

The reality for a long while to come (whilst rugby in WA and Victoria continues to grow) is that most rugby players are going to come from Sydney or Brisbane. Those players are going to go looking for opportunity.

Australia needs to provide 5 super rugby teams and they are all in different locations. The ARU could have just as easily made a second Sydney and a second Brisbane team (in addition to the Tahs, Reds and Brumbies) but this would make no sense in terms of having strong supporter bases and growing the game in other cities. This would still result in the Reds and Tahs losing just as many 'local' players.

The Reds and Tahs should still get the cream of the crop amongst the young players in Australia because most of them will have come from Sydney or Brisbane and will seek opportunities locally before they look elsewhere. Beyond their first couple of years, they are highly likely to move elsewhere as their value increases and the weaker franchises seek to improve their rosters whilst NSW and Queensland struggle to hold on to all their Wallaby stars.

Status
Not open for further replies.