• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Farr-Jones ?traitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
When the Australian cricket team ushered in its period of sustained world dominance and pioneered extremes of sledging of opposition batsmen in the process, and which S Waugh openly and proudly termed as part of his team's 'the object is mental disintegration of the opposition' plan, no one really batted an eyelid here in Australia (we just loved the winning and more winning)

and they turned me off watching cricket as they went on like classless "boofheads"

Cheap shots are dumb and sledging is dumb

rsea

Darby Loudon (17)
I think Quade doing a great job getting up the oppositions skin. We really haven't had that since Gregan departed

Antony

Alex Ross (28)
I think cricket sledging is a good analogy, and it explains a lot of people's reactions.

Sledging serves a valuable purpose in putting someone off their game (e.g. M-Waugh to some pom: "you're not fucking good enough to play for your country") but the only time it inspires and appeals to the public is when it's off-the-cuff, or particularly a comeback (e.g. that pom to M-Waugh: "at least I'm the best in my family").

What Coops is doing falls firmly into the first category. If he had planted one on McCaw when McCaw was holding him down, then everyone (including NFJ) would have applauded him - but it seems like Cooper is always the instigator.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
When the Australian cricket team ushered in its period of sustained world dominance and pioneered extremes of sledging of opposition batsmen in the process, and which S Waugh openly and proudly termed as part of his team's 'the object is mental disintegration of the opposition' plan, no one really batted an eyelid here in Australia (we just loved the winning and more winning); it was Pommy journalists that were always outraged (until England started adopting the same tactics).

However, the Australian cricket team couldn't hack it when the sledging was directed their way ie Glenn McGrath.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I'm a cricket tragic and I think that sledging can be a bit of an artform. A good sledge is fantastic but bad sledging is poor form and not in the spirit of the game. The Aussies took things a bit far during their time as the World's best team. Players like Warne and Hayden in particular went way over the top.

I think a good sledge is something that unsettles the batsmen because it is genuinely funny. Not because it is overly insulting to the batsman.

A good one my mate came up with recently was "This guy has less strokes than my lawn mower... and it's only a two stroke."

Maybe you had to be there.

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)
I'm not too much in agreeance with NFJ, but it's nice to hear somebody respect our rugby once again.

Us sensitive litle souls over in teh shaky isles have been feeling a bit trodden down ever since Hansen said his revoluation of the Wallabies not respecting us.

Cheers Nicko.

Antony

Alex Ross (28)
A good one my mate came up with recently was "This guy has less strokes than my lawn mower... and it's only a two stroke."

We made a bloke hit out last summer by saying he looked like the bad guy from Billy Madison. I think he just wanted to stop hanging out with us..

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Come on, can't anyone else see the irony of a flyhalf accused of (successfully) niggling an openside?

It can't be only me, right? Right?!

(Anyone here ever played openside? If so, what has the coach told you to do to the opposition's flyhalf?)

W

Worldcupnut

I just re-watched the infamous Tana Umaga/ Keven Mealamu late and blatant and extremely dangerous tackle on Brian O'Driscoll in 2005 British Lion Tour Game 1. That sort of play ought to be reviled and vilified. QCs little love taps and hand-bag flings should just be giggled at.

W

Wato

I have no problem with NFJ's comments. I think you need to earn the right to niggle. QC (Quade Cooper) hasn't been around long enough or played consistently well enough to have earned the tight to niggle RM. I'm no fan of RM and spend a great deal of time yelling at the TV when he's playing but he deserves a certain amount of respect.

I played with a young hooker who decided that, because he was making his first grade debut, he had the right to sledge his opposite number who was 10 yerars older and had been around for a while. We let the opposion hooker put 1 on his chin to teach him a leason before we stepped in. The pup was very quiet for the rest of the game, and after he grew up a bit turned into a bloody good player.

R

Rev Spooner

I just re-watched the infamous Tana Umaga/ Keven Mealamu late and blatant and extremely dangerous tackle on Brian O'Driscoll in 2005 British Lion Tour Game 1. That sort of play ought to be reviled and vilified. QCs little love taps and hand-bag flings should just be giggled at.

Bloody awful - here's the video for those of you missed it.
[video=youtube;OsXJyDHFKn0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsXJyDHFKn0[/video]

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
This is awesome if you've never seen it.

Pulp Sport, a TV Show in NZ got them to make up.

[video=youtube;5Q4dtr9-QA4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Q4dtr9-QA4[/video]

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)

Agree. When you go back enough, there's been plenty of serious niggle and other stuff from the ABs that at the very least is wholly ledger-balancing with QC (Quade Cooper)'s little hand flaps.

When you have an ex-Wallaby like NFJ getting on his media-hugging soap box and moralising (as though his era's players were all fucking whiter than white) and condemning QC (Quade Cooper) as 'a dope' etc for not 'respecting the great AB culture' in the middle of an RWC campaign (when he easily could have spoken privately to QC (Quade Cooper)), it's no wonder rugby has become a minor, 4th-ranked sport in Australia that many general football fans think is right up itself and run by an introverted cabal of out-of-touch blazer boys.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
We aren't seeing niggle, we are seeing knees in the back, the same shit Bakies does and we all moan about - a cheap shot.

I simply dislike cheap shots, they aren't necessary and they are simply dumb because when the ref catches him (and if he continues he will be caught), he will end up in the bin and his team potentially a further 3 points down.

Let him focus his niggle into a comment after a dominant tackle (ala Gregan) or stepping past someone, not kneeing someone in the back.

W

Worldcupnut

A really good analogy is when Sam Riley ( a great little OZ , Qlder, swimmer ) was caught havind taken di -gesic, a moderate pain killer that was unfortunately banned. There were tearful admissions that she'd made a mistake and she copped the ban. The thing is a huge hypocrisy was about to occur. The Chinese swim team, who was in the middle of a sustained and structured system of steroid abuse came out and said" the Australians are drug cheats".
I reckon if you change a few names and sports around you can see some similarities with the Quade case!

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
We aren't seeing niggle, we are seeing knees in the back, the same shit Bakies does and we all moan about - a cheap shot.

I simply dislike cheap shots, they aren't necessary and they are simply dumb because when the ref catches him (and if he continues he will be caught), he will end up in the bin and his team potentially a further 3 points down.

Let him focus his niggle into a comment after a dominant tackle (ala Gregan) or stepping past someone, not kneeing someone in the back.

Indeed.

I think there's a clear difference between a 'niggle' and a cowardly dickhead act.

Maybe Quade should put a bit more effort into making a tackle than inflicting a cheap shot on a vulnerable player?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think your memory of the event is a bit hazy.

She protested her innocence and her coach, Scott Volkers said it was his fault as he'd given it to her. Eventually Riley escaped any ban whatsoever.

I thought the hypocrisy in that situation was how much Australia had protested against the Chinese but when one of our swimmers failed a drug test, they were innocent. She most certainly didn't cop the two year ban. Swimming Australia campaigned vigorously until it was overturned.

Status
Not open for further replies.