• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Final Trial - Reds v. Force

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Great to see Hanson getting a shot at starting the game. Likewise for the appearance of Holmes and Cooper.

Geez - leaving Chambers and Tomiki behind says a lot doesn't it? Chambers you could understand but I thought that Tomiki looked pretty good playing in France.

7. Liam Gill in the reserves. What a shame this bloke is so small. Having a big heart can only take you so far.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Scotty said:
He'd better bloody not play Horwill at 6 during the season proper, we don't need another player confused as to whether he is a lock or a blindside.

You would think if any of the locks had "utility" written on them it would of been Byrnes. Anyone agree?

G

Geronimo

I assume you mean Byrnes? Hynesy brings off a big hit and you want him at 6?? I also assume by throwing in his name as a 6 it is in reference to his efforts in the time trial? You may have a point but I haven't seen enough of him to comment

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Byrnes is what I meant.... and now it is edited.

A bit to do with his time trail BUT mostly the genuine aggression he shows when he plays (which I personally love in a 6).

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I think its a case of Link wanting to give Big Kev game time whilst at the same time allowing Van and Byrnes to go head to head, at lock, for the other starting jersey.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Good to see Quade's getting a start. I'd be even more impressed to hear of him spending every spare minute helping homeless hoboes at some sort of refuge. Maybe that'd knock his values into shape.

Shaw and Shaw? What're the drpQs playing these two Sydney lads? :fishing :fishing

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Lee Grant said:
Great to see Hanson getting a shot at starting the game. Likewise for the appearance of Holmes and Cooper.

Geez - leaving Chambers and Tomiki behind says a lot doesn't it? Chambers you could understand but I thought that Tomiki looked pretty good playing in France.

7. Liam Gill in the reserves. What a shame this bloke is so small. Having a big heart can only take you so far.
Is Gill that small? Taller than Pocock and Waugh and should add significantly to his 85kg in the Academy. Will keep an eye out for him on Saturday night.

As for Chambers and Tomiki...In the former's case, as many minutes of game time as possible for this guy, and against a 'lesser' opposition he will get the chance to play with some latitude. I reckon Tomiki will go close to a bench spot in a weeks time but will benefit from an 80 minute hitout.

The interesting selection for me was Slipper on the bench in Perth.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Noddy said:
well I reckon I'm going to go. Admission and parking are free.

That team:

Aidan Toua (Easts), Brando Va'aulu (University), Will Chambers (TBC), Ben Tapuai (Sunnybank), Paul Doneley (Brothers), Tim Walsh (TBC), Brent Hamlin (Souths), Jake Schatz (Sunnybank), Lei Tomiki (TBC), Andrew Shaw (Brothers), Liam Shaw (Brothers), Adam Preocanin (Easts), Dayna Edwards (Sunnybank), Saia Fainga'a (Souths), Albert Anae (Sunnybank). Reserves: Heath Tessman (University), David Feao (Souths), Pat Ritchie (Eats), Cameron Bracewell (Gold Coast), Liam Gill (Sunnybank), Sam Grasso (Brothers), Jono Lance (University), Dallan Murphy (Brothers).

has enough to watch to make it interesting.
I will be interested to see how Preocanin goes. He looked the goods for Easts in 2008 but injuries cruelled him last year.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
spectator said:
Is Gill that small? Taller than Pocock and Waugh and should add significantly to his 85kg in the Academy.

I hope you are right and me wrong because I rate his play highly. He seemed to be of slightish build; so I hope he can pack on the pork.

PS By way of contrast Pocock weighed 96kgs at school.

T

TOCC

Lee Grant said:
spectator said:
Is Gill that small? Taller than Pocock and Waugh and should add significantly to his 85kg in the Academy.

I hope you are right and me wrong because I rate his play highly. He seemed to be of slightish build; so I hope he can pack on the pork.

PS By way of contrast Pocock weighed 96kgs at school.

but he was physically built like a full grown man at school as well

T

tranquility

yeah it is unfair to compare anyone to pocock - especially as a schoolboy. Liam Gill has dominated with that build all through school, so I really can't see with some professional conditioning in a full time environment that all of his other peers and contemporaries are just going to shoot past him. Besides he has the one skill that you can't coach, and probably the most important.

In david first year at the force John Mitchell described him as the most professional athlete in Australia.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I think its a case of Link wanting to give Big Kev game time whilst at the same time allowing Van and Byrnes to go head to head, at lock, for the other starting jersey.

All good and well, but if he doesn't know who he wants to start by now, then he really is struggling a bit, isn't he? Pick one of them and put the other on the bench and play your anticipated first match XV. IMO there should be no experimenting at the last trial - with such a short season you need to develop combinations prior to the first game, not during the season, so you can hit the ground running.

IMO most of the S14 coaches fuck this up. (Yeah, yeah, I know they know more than me, but to me it is just logical).

Lance Free

Arch Winning (36)
Trial Match
Emirates Western Force v Queensland Reds
Friday, 5 February 2010 at ME Bank Stadium

Kick-off 7.45pm

Forwards: Richard Brown, Pek Cowan, Matt Dunning, Nic Henderson, Matt Hodgson, Tim Fairbrother, Kieran Longbottom, Ben McCalman, David Pocock, Nathan Sharpe (c), Richard Stanford, Ben Whittaker, Sam Wykes.

Backs: Mark Bartholomeusz, Sam Harris, Dane Haylett-Petty, Stefano Hunt, Mitch Inman, James O’Connor, Chris O’Young, Brett Sheehan, Cameron Shepherd, Josh Tatupu.

R

Redsfan

Is the kickoff local time or AEDT? I'm assuming it's WA time.

Refabit

Darby Loudon (17)
It will be good to get an early heads up for the battle for 11th & 12th this year in S14.

C

chief

It is WA time.

Refabit- Time can only tell who will be placed accordingly, however I reckon you hit the nail on the head. Would happily be proved wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.